International News Covid-19 .....

The status of constructions workers is absurd. If, as so many are saying, they cannot maintain "social distancing" then it's time to go home.
From our view point, we have been looking at potentially buying a new build house. The norm is you get in early in the construct and decide what extras are desired, what fittings and where etc. The kitchen and appliances are decided before construction completion. Now, the builders are still on site and are going to finish houses without the input from potential buyers. Developer cutting off nose to spite face? We have already turned down one property because it was finished in a manner which did not suit our taste.
Down tools now, wait for a safe return and retain chance of selling at a reasonable price - logical, surely?
The market is already stagnant, nobody can sensibly commit to buying when it's not even possible to go and view the property.

Is there any indication how long it is likely to be before these are available to the non NHS/key priority cases?
There are a lot of people who think they'might' have had it, but aren't sure, so it will be good to get them all tested so that we know where we are in terms of spread/herd immunity

The 3.5 million will be used front line first to mitigate risk, early research suggests you can`t get it twice, that will be more established once the antibody testing is rolling out to the wider population.

The current issue with "test,test,test" is capacity and time.
Turnaround is roughly 72 hours whereas couriering it to an external source could get that down to 48 or less.
The central lab will help greatly purely because we are running Cv-19 tests alongside the normal day to day stuff.
In perspective we do circa: 26 million tests a year, that is just one large acute trust.

The 3.5 million will be used front line first to mitigate risk, early research suggests you can`t get it twice, that will be more established once the antibody testing is rolling out to the wider population.

The current issue with "test,test,test" is capacity and time.
Turnaround is roughly 72 hours whereas couriering it to an external source could get that down to 48 or less.
The central lab will help greatly purely because we are running Cv-19 tests alongside the normal day to day stuff.
In perspective we do circa: 26 million tests a year, that is just one large acute trust.
I may have imagined this? , but I think on one of the many news items in the past week or so, wasn't there a drive through cv19 test , with results in 5-or 10 mins, being carried out in one of the countries affected ? (maybe been USA?)

serious Q @Essexyellows - IF , and a big IF at that, these 'drive through' cv19 tests can be processed in 5-10 mins does that mean they're nowhere near as accurate as the ones coming into use in UK that take 72 (or 48 hours) to process?

* I hear Prince Charles was tested and got his (positive- and Camillas negative) results rather quickly !

And it appears the independent , breaking news, have something of an answer to my enquiry - 15 min test kits incoming?....

Last edited:
and, as has happened in Japan, you can "re-catch" Covid-19...
Yes, I think the overall figure suggests that 14% of confirmed "recoveries" have succumbed a second time.
Also, in the period after recovering the immune system is not at its strongest and a person will be vulnerable to other infections like flu.

Where from? I can find no mention of this.
This came from relatively early (in global pandemic terms) findings from Wuhan. It now appears that some of this 14% were actually not re-infections but relapses, i.e. the return of certain symptoms after recovery (which can happen with most viral infections).
There is an article in the latest New Scientist which basically says that the jury is still out on the re-infection question. After recovery there seems to be a period of a week or two when the immune system has enough of the right antibodies, but that after that period re-infection becomes possible.

Archaeologist 2520: Burial dating to 2020, the year of the Great Plaguening. The deceased must have been high in status, buried as he was with the era's most luxurious goods, intended to ensure a comfortable life in the next world.

90062541_2721406367979039_4151454275223945216_n.jpg

This came from relatively early (in global pandemic terms) findings from Wuhan. It now appears that some of this 14% were actually not re-infections but relapses, i.e. the return of certain symptoms after recovery (which can happen with most viral infections).
There is an article in the latest New Scientist which basically says that the jury is still out on the re-infection question. After recovery there seems to be a period of a week or two when the immune system has enough of the right antibodies, but that after that period re-infection becomes possible.
Thanks SU, I found the New Scientist article https://www.newscientist.com/articl...catch-the-coronavirus-twice-we-dont-know-yet/ , and I think it is a bit more positive than that.
They comment that:
- the cases of reinfection are anecdotal
- experiments in macaques have shown that they recover and have antibodies, which is a good sign for immune protection
- that immunity to corona viruses which cause the common cold typically lasts for ~3 months
- that we don't yet know what the period will be for covid (stated twice)
- that long lasting immunity is not typical for ordinary corona viruses (same point as the common cold one)
- that immunity might last for life

I also listen to what Peter Doherty says (not because he's a Nobel Laureate, but because he's an exceptionally good immunologist): https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-22/doubt-over-contracting-coronavirus-covid-19-twice/12075878

I also listen to what Peter Doherty says (not because he's a Nobel Laureate, but because he's an exceptionally good immunologist): https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-22/doubt-over-contracting-coronavirus-covid-19-twice/12075878
f**k me we really are in trouble if Pete Doherty is our best hope, he's been shite since The Libertines...

12750418-0-image-m-26_1556277310413.jpg

They say you should stay at home but what about those of us who work for the NHS that’s a lot of people from the big bosses at the top to the cleaners tea lady’s we all can’t stay at home unless your lucky that your job can be done at home

In all of this is a fantastic response to the request for volunteers, absolutely superb. Likewise to those helping their neighbours/at risk friends through getting shopping/picking up prescriptions etc. Much appreciated.

I’ve been a bit out of the loop today. Have today’s figures been released for UK positive cases and deaths? Normally they’re released around 1600-1700.

I can’t believe the volume of traffic out there today. Left work from Reading at 10:30am and saw loads of cars and lorries on M4 and A34. Plenty of fitness freaks too jogging around Didcot. Unbelievable!

Back
Top Bottom