International News Covid-19 .....

For many businesses, it seems, what the PM said tonight fell on deaf ears. Builders still in work, Sports Direct open as usual.

In Singapore, we are going through it seems our second wave. We are not on lock down & schools are functioning as well as businesses. Yet, Singapore requires some 500,000 employees based in Johor, Malaysian. Whom mainly commute daily via 2 bridges that feed into Singapore. Since Malaysia went into lock down last week. Maybe around 200,000 plus managed to find accommodation within Singapore, to carry on working & some families to carry on with their education. Out of our new daily cases (since Malaysia's lock down), we have had an average of about 40. 90% those, have been imported.
Our 2 deaths were those who were in Singapore before Malaysia's lock down, 1 local & an Indonesian.
Our government has liaised with Malaysian's to carry on with transporting fresh produce into Singapore, which we heavily relay on.
Our local football league is still operating in empty stadiums. Yet, the online viewership is record breaking. Due to the thirst of football in the absent of Europe's.
My parents cut short their trip to Singapore & flew back last night to return to Oxford, against my wishes. I am very concern with their mindsets on how they are sociable. Out of their network of friends, they really will leave Johnny No Mates well alone. But can't see them turning down an invitation from Mr & Mrs Popular..........

From Malaysia.

Malaysia is similar to the UK as everyone seems to have a car. Here, unlike Singapore and Hong Kong, public transport isnt great. We are on partial lockdown and have been for over a week. Its depressing and makes you realise all the things you enjoy on a daily basis.

I work for a large bank, normally I would go into the centre where I live where 1500+ work. Now, nearly everyone is working from home, including me. It seems fun, but you miss being with your teams and colleagues. It isnt so productive, especially as there are connectivity issues. Also, being with the other half 24/7 can take its strain.

We actually had a positive case at a house only 100 metres away. So for over a week, the communial gym, pool has been closed, now people dont even step out of their houses. So you miss walks, exercise and even chatting to neigbours.

Nearly everything is shut. Only 1 person is allowed to go out and buy groceries. The Police and Army are out checking and there are serious consequences if you dont abide by the rules. The majority of our cases came from a religious gathering. Businesses (apart from Supermarkets) are suffering. Our 2 airlines could serious go bankrupt.

In summary, its not nice and will have a profound effect on countries and some traditions or things might have to change for good.

If they can find a cure for this disease then surely they can find a cure for Cancer.

For many businesses, it seems, what the PM said tonight fell on deaf ears. Builders still in work, Sports Direct open as usual.

I am not in work from today, it’s impossible to social distance in a lot of jobs, all that will happen is that in a few days we will have another announcement shutting down nearly everything as people seem to not be able to understand key workers, it isn’t someone knocking up an extension etc.

Re key workers ....in scotland construction work is being stopped...yet in England, according to gove on breakfast tv, construction work/building is essential ....confusing messages to the public

Re key workers ....in scotland construction work is being stopped...yet in England, according to gove on breakfast tv, construction work/building is essential ....confusing messages to the public

It won’t matter massively what Gove has to say. I’ve spoken to a couple of people fairly high up at some of our main contractors and they are making their own decision currently as to whether to shut down all London sites initially. There’s a few bits in construction news on the subject too.

I've had an elderly neighbour on the phone last night and this morning. Their car is booked in for for an MOT today, but the Govt guidelines are not 100% clear if it's needed or they will suspend things for 3 months. They need to use the car to go shopping, but don't want to be fined.

There is still no clear advice from the Govt and the garage is on a permanent engaged tone. #shitshow

This does not feel any different to what I have already been doing.

Weird.

The London Underground still rammed!

I am not in work from today, it’s impossible to social distance in a lot of jobs, all that will happen is that in a few days we will have another announcement shutting down nearly everything as people seem to not be able to understand key workers, it isn’t someone knocking up an extension etc.

Suddenly everyone is a key worker!! I'm going into work in a prison later today because I have no choice. And there's also a chance that I'll be redeployed around the country if things get worse. I get it, it's what I signed up for and accept what comes my way, but I'm terrified that whilst I might be fine, I might also bring the virus back to my wife and young family. I would love to be able to stay at home and protect them.

But then I see every man and his dog (including the ever disgusting Mike Ashley and Sports Direct!) claiming that they are essential workers and saving the nation! I know this is going to be hard, especially for the self employed. But people have to take this seriously and stay at home. The direction from the Government (who generally are handling this as well as can be expected) needs to be explicit and enforced.

Sadly, this has shown that we as a society are very selfish and stupid and think we know best.

As I've found with MOTs and people have with Michael Gove this morning, Govt advice is too vague or contradictory in the detail in some key areas. It needs clear and unequivocal advice when announced, not mop ups after wards.

As I've found with MOTs and people have with Michael Gove this morning, Govt advice is too vague or contradictory in the detail in some key areas. It needs clear and unequivocal advice when announced, not mop ups after wards.
This is amazingly fast moving.
Most of the advice seems pretty clear for the majority of people, but there are bound to be some loose ends and what ifs.
Making massive decisions on an almost daily basis I would think means that some things have to be cleared up a few days later.
Regarding an MOT you have a weeks grace anyway if you have booked it in?

Life goes on in London. Nothing has changed.

Total lock down needed, only food shops can open, DIY shops to not need to open, yet ToolStation, Screwfix etc all are.

Keyworkers should only be emergency service and retail staff.

In Singapore, we are going through it seems our second wave. We are not on lock down & schools are functioning as well as businesses. Yet, Singapore requires some 500,000 employees based in Johor, Malaysian. Whom mainly commute daily via 2 bridges that feed into Singapore. Since Malaysia went into lock down last week. Maybe around 200,000 plus managed to find accommodation within Singapore, to carry on working & some families to carry on with their education. Out of our new daily cases (since Malaysia's lock down), we have had an average of about 40. 90% those, have been imported.
Our 2 deaths were those who were in Singapore before Malaysia's lock down, 1 local & an Indonesian.
Our government has liaised with Malaysian's to carry on with transporting fresh produce into Singapore, which we heavily relay on.
Our local football league is still operating in empty stadiums. Yet, the online viewership is record breaking. Due to the thirst of football in the absent of Europe's.
My parents cut short their trip to Singapore & flew back last night to return to Oxford, against my wishes. I am very concern with their mindsets on how they are sociable. Out of their network of friends, they really will leave Johnny No Mates well alone. But can't see them turning down an invitation from Mr & Mrs Popular..........

Any good sites for the Singaporean Football?

This is amazingly fast moving.
Most of the advice seems pretty clear for the majority of people, but there are bound to be some loose ends and what ifs.
Making massive decisions on an almost daily basis I would think means that some things have to be cleared up a few days later.
Regarding an MOT you have a weeks grace anyway if you have booked it in?

My MOT is booked for Monday then it runs out the day after, no chance will I get it done, then I will be well over by the time I can get in. As long as you get it booked in for as soon as possible after the shutdown, and your car is in good condition (had mine serviced less than 6 months ago and it’s only 4 years old with 25,000 on the clock) then they will have to allow people a bit of grace surely?

Their will be a lot of little things like this, I think as long as people are doing what they can as soon as they can and not taking the mick then I should imagine we will see a relaxing of rules in the ramping back to normality, if we have a proper shutdown it’s going to have to be like that.

Suddenly everyone is a key worker!! I'm going into work in a prison later today because I have no choice. And there's also a chance that I'll be redeployed around the country if things get worse. I get it, it's what I signed up for and accept what comes my way, but I'm terrified that whilst I might be fine, I might also bring the virus back to my wife and young family. I would love to be able to stay at home and protect them.

But then I see every man and his dog (including the ever disgusting Mike Ashley and Sports Direct!) claiming that they are essential workers and saving the nation! I know this is going to be hard, especially for the self employed. But people have to take this seriously and stay at home. The direction from the Government (who generally are handling this as well as can be expected) needs to be explicit and enforced.

Sadly, this has shown that we as a society are very selfish and stupid and think we know best.

Part of my company is legitimately key worker, and a large part isn’t. I work in the bit that isn’t, sat at home waiting on a phone call after meetings as to what is going to happen, when it’s obvious that only the bit that services the NHS should run and the rest of us should stay off. You would hope all companies see sense but it’s worrying how much push back their is.

Most people will see themselves as a "key" worker as they need to put food on the table, however most sensible people would say key workers are hospital staff and emergency personnel but as normal in a me me me society there are those looking to abuse and take advantage of this horrible situation.
if the likes of Sports Direct really believe people need their products then they are deluded, peoples incomes have greatly reduced or disappeared almost overnight and i seriously doubt anyone will be thinking of spending on an exercise bike when they cannot even be certain when or if they can buy their food.What people need to do is remember those who try to take advantage in this situation and never use them again.

Back
Top Bottom