International News Covid-19 .....

Government taking over the payroll of private companies? Not even in Corbyn's wildest wet dreams...

Truly remarkable yet very, very welcome. Bravo!

Balancing the books will be the challenge of course, maybe they could f**k HS2 off?

Unfortunately I'd expect nothing else. And I expect there will be a run on alcohol at the supermarkets over the weekend.

The last few weeks has shown up what a selfish blinkered society we have become.

I was in Tesco’s after Boris’ announcement and the shelves of beer were very empty. Luckily I managed to get enough for the weekend, fingers crossed for next weekend otherwise it’s g&t’s all the way through until the end.

For me, the depressing/worrying thing is what is still going on in Italy.

Remember if you look at the numbers (and I am a total stats geek, so I always look at the numbers), what is going on in Britain (and the US) is almost exactly two weeks behind what is going on in Italy, with infections/deaths increasing at the same rate here now, as they did in Italy then.

Italy started quarantine/lockdown protocols back on February 22nd.....but the rate of infection/deaths from COVID are still growing exponentially. Today was the largest single-day growth in infections there, and the last two days have been the two most deadly days there since the outbreak began.

Meaning that Italy is still not yet at the peak of their outbreak.

Yes, the response in Italy was fairly haphazard.....they didn't shut everything down all at once, they did it very much piecemeal. But does anyone want to suggest that it has been any less haphazard in the US/UK?

So I don't see any reason to assume that we won't see the epidemic take the same pattern here as in Italy. It seems to be doing that everywhere unless you go into full and complete lockdown (like Wuhan did), or take drastic measures extremely early (like Singapore & Hong Kong did - and to an extent Japan. COVID is still growing there - but the growth has been pretty linear, not exponential).

Can't see any way that this isn't going to continue to get substantially worse here for at least the next two-three weeks
I work in the NHS and the peak is predicted to hit in 4 weeks. We've just had our first trust announce a critical incident meaning they don't have enough critical care beds to meet demand and we're only just getting started. In Italy a friend of mine who works in ICU as a consultant tells me anyone over 65 is triaged and left to die as they are prioritising younger cases who are more likely to survive.

s**t is getting real, please follow the advice from the CMO.

Right I have heard enough in the last 24 hrs to completely change sides. I apologise for my earlier posts and will do everything I can to stay safe and hope everyone else will do the same. I will rely on disposable gloves to go to the supermarket. I still think it is rubbish we have so little testing capability. Hopefully Italy is a bit of an outlier due to different social habits and lack of effective response in the early days but time will tell. Brexit seems like a cakewalk compared to this!

• React
Reactions: QR
The only note of optimism I got was from nadine dorries mum who caught it and was an 85 year old smoker and laughed it off after a few days hopefully she is still well.

Hopefully Italy is a bit of an outlier due to different social habits and lack of effective response in the early days but time will tell.
They reacted terribly and we reacted worse still. We are exactly 14 days behind where they are now in terms of daily death count and it’s still at least 2-4 weeks off peaking for them. Which means it’s 4-6 weeks for us. Minimum.

820DE546-4A48-41C8-9428-E7581A26953B.jpeg

Facts and evidence tell us the truth. I once again ask people to use their eyes, not their ears. The age of propaganda has failed us all. Time for us all to go back to reality and drop this “I believe the things I want to believe and that makes it real” mentality that has been so encouraged in recent years

Stay safe.

Those are very scary figures. In what way did we react worse? Is it not relevant that in both china and italy they keep their ageing relatives within the family whereas we stick them in old peoples homes

Basically everywhere has experienced a doubling rate of 3-4 days. Where strict measures have been taken, that has slowed substantially, but it has taken 2-3 weeks for the effects to be visible in the numbers.

They reacted terribly and we reacted worse still. We are exactly 14 days behind where they are now in terms of daily death count and it’s still at least 2-4 weeks off peaking for them. Which means it’s 4-6 weeks for us. Minimum.

View attachment 3220

Facts and evidence tell us the truth. I once again ask people to use their eyes, not their ears. The age of propaganda has failed us all. Time for us all to go back to reality and drop this “I believe the things I want to believe and that makes it real” mentality that has been so encouraged in recent years

Stay safe.
Also believe Italy has twice the capacity of icu beds compared to us ?. Don’t understand why we didn’t shut down 2 weeks ago - the evidence was there from China and Italy on what action was needed. Instead our government decided Cheltenham with 200,000 people attending was a good idea. ?‍♂️

Not to mention Crufts and the 200 exhibitors from Italy that flew over. It’s ok though because they provided some extra hand sanitiser.....

Whilst there’s plenty to beat the Tories about (in my opinion) I think the package that was released yesterday is impressive and much needed (all be paying for it through my next 30-40 years of employment).

If they’d nailed things early doors and restricted flights/movement etc. I think we really could have been leading the way in some areas. I’m not an expert mind you.

View attachment 3220

Stay safe.
Is there an updated version for this graphic?

If we closed borders when this first broke out, only allowing back UK citizens who pass a test at the border followed by a period of self isolation, then we might have zero cases and zero deaths.

Globalization killing people again.

Have a look at statista.com . Search for covid, select the most recent/relevant report, then click the statistics tab and you get access to relevant stats.
Can't find it, any chance you could link to the page?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom