International News Covid-19 .....

The UK government implemented measures that failed. They've new moved to "another phase" that has failed in other nations...

We know what has worked in China, Taiwan, etc... We know that one person with a bad attitude can infect thousands (South Korea). It's clear that many people in Britain have a similar, bad attitude...

If we tackle the problem now, the evidence from around the world is that we con be on top of this problem by early April. If tot, the problem will get worse and will take longer to resolve.

This seems a reasonable assessment, based on what we can see in Italy and Iran, plus the link @chuckbert posted the other day (warning: was by an expert).

Anecdotally, my walking football last night was cancelled because: one of the players felt bit off last week, has just been tested and has it, 2 other players are feeling peaky. That's about 14 males exposed to it 8 days ago none of whom appear to have been self-isolating. My gut feel is that there's already a big, deep pool of infected people, my gut feel is that the horse has bolted, the one whose rider's name is Pestilence. :eek:

Ah well, I reckon that’ll now be it for this season. It was nice while it lasted. Quite when it’ll all reconvene, with a vaccine being about 18 months away, is anyone’s guess. I guess we can all fill the time talking about the stadium though..?

And while football is called off, gigs are cancelled, panic buying abounds, as the UK attempts to cope with Covoid 19.... our caring government put the prices up on prescription fees in England , hurrah for Bojo, what a guy :rolleyes:

For those who pay for their NHS prescriptions in England, the cost of a single item is set to increase by 15p. From the 1st April 2020, the NHS prescription charge will rise from £9.00 to £9.15 per item. This is a nationwide increase which affects all pharmacies.

• React
Reactions: Ian
After seeing John Ashton's risible performance on QT last night and on programs today, I realised in part why the UK response could be different. As we are at the further end of the virus outbreak, there are far more data points/sets available to us and more time to model different scenarios out for how to ride the wave out. The fact we are an Island is another different step that many other countries do not have, so movement is slightly more restricted from out to in.

I'm not endorsing the Govt approach, but seeing the socials now, I worry people are whipping themselves into such a panic and fury now, that they will do the thing the Govt are saying don't do.

After seeing John Ashton's risible performance on QT last night and on programs today, I realised in part why the UK response could be different. As we are at the further end of the virus outbreak, there are far more data points/sets available to us and more time to model different scenarios out for how to ride the wave out. The fact we are an Island is another different step that many other countries do not have, so movement is slightly more restricted from out to in.

I'm not endorsing the Govt approach, but seeing the socials now, I worry people are whipping themselves into such a panic and fury now, that they will do the thing the Govt are saying don't do.
The UK's not really an island in terms of human-to-human transmission. Not until flights, boats and eurostar are stopped. Anyway, covid is well and truly in Britain. The link I posted before suggests that the real infection rate is about 100x the diagnose rate at this stage early in the exponential phase. That means there are many, many thousands with it (which is why "famous" people are now appearing as diagnosed). There really is no need for the UK response to be any different to that of China, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, HK, all of whom learned from SARS, and are the only countries thus far to have beaten the exponential curve.

The UK's not really an island in terms of human-to-human transmission. Not until flights, boats and eurostar are stopped. Anyway, covid is well and truly in Britain. The link I posted before suggests that the real infection rate is about 100x the diagnose rate at this stage early in the exponential phase. That means there are many, many thousands with it (which is why "famous" people are now appearing as diagnosed). There really is no need for the UK response to be any different to that of China, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, HK, all of whom learned from SARS, and are the only countries thus far to have beaten the exponential curve.
As I said, "slightly restricted", not wholly open.

From the point of view of how people get around Europe, we are slightly different. If you think about how the European continent interacts with each other, its different to how we interact with them - I think of it like extrapolating England, Wales and Scotland where you will get a lot of cross border traffic on a day to day basis - as you would in mainland Europe - but the next step on is slightly less movement. If the reported 1:2 infection ratio holds, it helps to slightly reduce the scope of the outbreak. Of course, it won't stop the progress, perhaps only on the time to where curve goes up.

And of course, we will benefit from other countries local policies on movement, whereas the likes of Singapore and South Korea did not get this when the outbreak first started. Russia closing their border with China really helped them.

I add overt emphasis to ensure that you don't misunderstand that I said slightly or perhaps not wholly nor median nor other stuff like average.

And while football is called off, gigs are cancelled, panic buying abounds, as the UK attempts to cope with Covoid 19.... our caring government put the prices up on prescription fees in England , hurrah for Bojo, what a guy :rolleyes:

For those who pay for their NHS prescriptions in England, the cost of a single item is set to increase by 15p. From the 1st April 2020, the NHS prescription charge will rise from £9.00 to £9.15 per item. This is a nationwide increase which affects all pharmacies.

If you are a "frequent flyer" than A: That is cheap or B: Get a PPC or an exemption cert. :rolleyes:
Plenty of folk entitled to free ones so those who pay have to subsidise them. :)

Back
Top Bottom