International News Covid-19 .....

I’ve only just recovered after reading this.

My mum is 66 and can’t tell what’s a fake news source and what isn’t when she sees things “on the Facebook”. My dad, aunt and uncle are all over 70 and think that things in the paper must be true or they wouldn’t be allowed to print it. My niece and nephew, meanwhile, are both in secondary school and can establish the basic validity and credibility of a digital source in under 60 seconds. They code when they’re bored - that’s where these psychopaths are at now. Mario Kart just isn’t enough for them. They also understand the power of information and the value of privately owned media. My nephew was at primary school a year ago but he can tell you who owns every major newspaper while my parents would struggle to get past Murdoch. They are more advanced than I was at their age, let alone the generation before me, and I’ve always been a jumped up smart a**e. Your average 14 year old is probably as street smart as their grandparents were at 30. The world has sped up astronomically. “Life experience” means less and less in a world that doesn’t resemble anything close to what many people grew up in.

“Older people” are infinitely more gullible and far more easily conned than school children these days, in many scenarios. The latter have been raised with advanced technology and information flying at them at a hundred miles per hour from all angles; the former remember when having a television made you posh. Some have kept up well and are tech savvy, obviously, but others can’t even attach a PDF or use a printer. It’s why so many of those over a certain age are so angry - they’re hopelessly clinging on to their last crumbs of relevance and authority while kids at primary school run rings around them. Anger comes from fear. It’s perfectly normal to be upset and start to trash everything when you realise you’re on the verge of extinction.

It’ll come, sooner or later. See you down the sex dungeon pub. Don’t forget your covid pass! 😉
Agree to a certain extent, but this is related to technology rather than life experience itself.

Yes, so are you suggesting parental consent to vote?

"Here you go lad, just vote for X same as your dad/mum does".............

I didn't mention parental consent, you did. The 16yo voters in Scotland managed so I'm sure they would across the rest of the UK without any parental consent.

As SteMerritt says, you really are scared of 16yo getting the vote.

I didn't mention parental consent, you did. The 16yo voters in Scotland managed so I'm sure they would across the rest of the UK without any parental consent.

As SteMerritt says, you really are scared of 16yo getting the vote.

The Electoral commission examined the voting age in 2004 - kept it at 18.

MoJ published a green paper in 2007 - rejected.

Labour backed it in the 2015 election as something they would do - they lost.

I`m not doubting it will happen and I`m not "scared" of it as it is their future they are voting for but it will take time.

Then what next? The 14 & 15 year olds won`t think its fair.....

The Electoral commission examined the voting age in 2004 - kept it at 18.

MoJ published a green paper in 2007 - rejected.

Labour backed it in the 2015 election as something they would do - they lost.

I`m not doubting it will happen and I`m not "scared" of it as it is their future they are voting for but it will take time.

Then what next? The 14 & 15 year olds won`t think its fair.....

For somebody who isn't scared, you are desperately finding reasons such as parental consent to argue against it.

Blimey, any get-out you can find. These youngsters really scare you don't they 🤣

I seem to have missed "they get their information from the internet rather than reliable sources like the Sun, Mail, Telegraph or (heaven forgive us) Express".

For somebody who isn't scared, you are desperately finding reasons such as parental consent to argue against it.

Just how it is at this moment in time, you can join the army with parental consent but not vote.
I don`t make the rules - you wouldn`t like them if I did.
🤷‍♀️ :)

I seem to have missed "they get their information from the internet rather than reliable sources like the Sun, Mail, Telegraph or (heaven forgive us) Express".
It's all about the influencers these days. Basically @Essexyellows with a webcam and better makeup.

Certainly you can't say young people get their information from better sources than older ones, some may be better than evaluating it but as you say plenty are taken in by influencers and conspiracists

Concise summary why they shouldn`t get to vote. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: 🤷‍♀️
I don't know, I think the views of Nicki Minaj are important in society. If you find yourself agreeing with her then you know for sure you are on the wrong side of the discussion.

(obviously nearing 50 I had no idea what a 'Nicki Minaj' was a week ago - I thought it was some sort of wee infection - and I'm still none the wiser to its actual purpose. From what I can work out it is the younger generation's answer to Ian Brown).

Back
Top Bottom