International News Covid-19 .....

Is it just me that is utterly pissed off with this Covid jab incentive?

Why are selfish arseholes being rewarded.

Get the jab and be responsible. If you don’t want the jab then fine, take the risk, suffer the consequences, and be charged by the NHS for any treatment.

Is it just me that is utterly pissed off with this Covid jab incentive?

Why are selfish arseholes being rewarded.

Get the jab and be responsible. If you don’t want the jab then fine, take the risk, suffer the consequences, and be charged by the NHS for any treatment.
Can understand your frustration, but who will pay for the treatment of those infected by the no jabbers ?
That’s why for me, if incentives mean more taking the jab, then go for it .

Can understand your frustration, but who will pay for the treatment of those infected by the no jabbers ?
That’s why for me, if incentives mean more taking the jab, then go for it .

Certainly should be no fine for those who have been unfortunate enough to get infected before being eligible for a jab or prior to a pre booked appointment.

But charge those who clearly have done nothing about getting a jab or booking a jab when they are eligible to do so.

There are no excuses to delay or avoid unless for other medical reasons.

Rewarding those who don’t care just doesn’t sit well with me.

What about the next round of boosters? How many will now delay in the hope of receiving some form of incentive? It has just created another reason to delay.

Last edited:
Certainly should be no fine for those who have been unfortunate enough to get infected before being eligible for a jab or prior to a pre booked appointment.

But charge those who clearly have done nothing about getting a jab or booking a jab when they are eligible to do so.

There are no excuses to delay or avoid unless for other medical reasons.

Rewarding those who don’t care just doesn’t sit well with me.

What about the next round of boosters? How many will now delay in the hope of receiving some form of incentive? It has just created another reason to delay.
I’m in favour of requiring Covid passports to do fun things, carrot rather than stick, but agree that actually paying people to have it is a terrible precedent

Had a chat today with an old acquaintance of mine from a good ten years back, when he and I both did the match reporting circuit for national papers / press association. He now works for The Athletic.

Seems there is a big problem bubbling away under the surface with a worrying number of footballers across all of the main four divisions not taking the jab, and that as a result Covid has been getting into clubs and transmitting more than it should be. He says that in the most extreme cases half of the players in certain clubs have been refusing to have it. Footballing bodies are getting worried and are pressuring clubs to do more to engage their players over the importance of taking the vaccine, because the fear is that by October / November when winter starts rolling in and flu is added into the mix that it could be chaos. Covid was enough of an issue at times last season while everything bar supermarkets was closed, so they’re looking ahead to a wide open world (in theory) and are getting twitchy about the potential worst case.

Furthermore, pre-season testing at some top clubs has started to uncover some worrying drop-offs in a number of players who previously had covid. Oxygen levels, lung capacity and function etc. Marked enough drop-offs to be of serious concern about long-covid moving forward, not only within the game but wider society. These are some of the fittest young people in the country and even they aren’t immune from some very bad side effects. Apparently a number of players last season were reported as being injured but were actually in a very bad way with the virus - over a month in some cases. He spoke to a member of Liverpool’s medical team a few months ago and was told that a very high-profile player got Covid and not only lost a lot of pace and stamina in the second half of the season, but was regularly having to receive oxygen in the dressing room.

Merely thought this could be of interest. Take it or leave it. Seems football isn’t much different to the rest of society in this regard.

Had a chat today with an old acquaintance of mine from a good ten years back, when he and I both did the match reporting circuit for national papers / press association. He now works for The Athletic.

Seems there is a big problem bubbling away under the surface with a worrying number of footballers across all of the main four divisions not taking the jab, and that as a result Covid has been getting into clubs and transmitting more than it should be. He says that in the most extreme cases half of the players in certain clubs have been refusing to have it. Footballing bodies are getting worried and are pressuring clubs to do more to engage their players over the importance of taking the vaccine, because the fear is that by October / November when winter starts rolling in and flu is added into the mix that it could be chaos. Covid was enough of an issue at times last season while everything bar supermarkets was closed, so they’re looking ahead to a wide open world (in theory) and are getting twitchy about the potential worst case.

Furthermore, pre-season testing at some top clubs has started to uncover some worrying drop-offs in a number of players who previously had covid. Oxygen levels, lung capacity and function etc. Marked enough drop-offs to be of serious concern about long-covid moving forward, not only within the game but wider society. These are some of the fittest young people in the country and even they aren’t immune from some very bad side effects. Apparently a number of players last season were reported as being injured but were actually in a very bad way with the virus - over a month in some cases. He spoke to a member of Liverpool’s medical team a few months ago and was told that a very high-profile player got Covid and not only lost a lot of pace and stamina in the second half of the season, but was regularly having to receive oxygen in the dressing room.

Merely thought this could be of interest. Take it or leave it. Seems football isn’t much different to the rest of society in this regard.

Bet all the Herbalifers are refusing.

Salah got Covid didn't he?

Really interesting. Suppose it's not surprising given how laissez-faire we saw some clubs (Crewe) being, but it really puts into perspective the unpleasantness of the reaction some footballers got for expressing reluctance at being pushed into that Project Restart last summer.

Any reason in particular why so many footballers are refusing the jab? Is it to do with not wanting to expose themselves definitively to the virus, or just an issue of education?

Why anyone is refusing a jab is beyond me but there we are, their choices may well have consequences.

A chance to blow the work trumpet............

Any reason in particular why so many footballers are refusing the jab? Is it to do with not wanting to expose themselves definitively to the virus, or just an issue of education?
I can only speculate that it’s about education. They’re just people like the rest of us at the end of the day. Some of them probably have the same “it only affects old and fat people, what risk is it to me?” mindset that a lot of regular folk have. Strip away the money and they’re just a bunch of primarily twenty-somethings like the ones you see on a night out. If somebody like Jordan Pickford (to pick on the poor sod at random) never got the nod at Sunderland then he would likely be dancing to techno in the headlights of his body kitted Fiesta in a Tesco car park.

I can only speculate that it’s about education. They’re just people like the rest of us at the end of the day. Some of them probably have the same “it only affects old and fat people, what risk is it to me?” mindset that a lot of regular folk have. Strip away the money and they’re just a bunch of primarily twenty-somethings like the ones you see on a night out. If somebody like Jordan Pickford (to pick on the poor sod at random) never got the nod at Sunderland then he would likely be dancing to techno in the headlights of his body kitted Fiesta in a Tesco car park.
That’s interesting/ worrying / depressing . I guess as you say footballers aren’t always the brightest and tend to be cocky. Maybe also they fear the vaccine will affect their fitness and energy levels

I see China are re-testing the whole population of Wuhan as Covid "re-emerges".

I can't imagine for one minute that the vaccine is going to affect their fitness more than Covid will....significantly less would be my guess, and it would appear there is evidence emerging to support that too. If elite football is all you've ever known (and let's face it, it will be in the vast majority of footballers who have been cocooned in the football universe/bubble since they were young kids), the moment it gets taken away from you - what have you got left?

Just get your chuffing vaccines you numpties!

Good to see some of our players heading to the Kassam to get their vaccines today. Good to set an example!

Hope they don't get any side effects ahead of Saturday :oops:

Good to see some of our players heading to the Kassam to get their vaccines today. Good to set an example!

Hope they don't get any side effects ahead of Saturday :oops:

First team or "fringe" ?
Bit of a high risk strategy as some folk do feel a bit crook for a day...... they`ll be fine. :)

We are still on Defcon 2. A few positive patients in, a few in ITU, lots of staff on holiday, lots of inpatient/outpatient activity to try and clear some of the backlog.

Numbers....... I know you missed them! :)

Leicestershire total cases (City & County combined)
Sat. 103,673 (increase 511)
Sun. 104,113 (increase 440)
Mon. 104,467. (increase 354)

Leicester City cases.
Sat 44,528 (increase 203)
Sun. 44,678 (increase 150)
Mon. 44,803 (increase 125)

Leicestershire County cases.
Sat. 59,145 (increase 308)
Sun 59,435 (increase 290)
Mon 59,664 (increase 229)

We are still on Defcon 2. A few positive patients in, a few in ITU, lots of staff on holiday, lots of inpatient/outpatient activity to try and clear some of the backlog.

Numbers....... I know you missed them! :)

Leicestershire total cases (City & County combined)
Sat. 103,673 (increase 511)
Sun. 104,113 (increase 440)
Mon. 104,467. (increase 354)

Leicester City cases.
Sat 44,528 (increase 203)
Sun. 44,678 (increase 150)
Mon. 44,803 (increase 125)

Leicestershire County cases.
Sat. 59,145 (increase 308)
Sun 59,435 (increase 290)
Mon 59,664 (increase 229)
Know any reason why your bucking the downward trend across the rest of the uk.

Back
Top Bottom