International News Covid-19 .....

I never enjoyed fighting my way to any bar but I’m really looking forward to it now even if I have to wait until July.?

Looking from the outside in, I'm not quite sure what to make of the announcement.
The whole vaccination thing in the UK, while it has been a "gambled and won" situation thus far, won't be taken seriously by me until all of these millions have been fully vaccinated and not just once. By full vaccinations, the UK is miles behind other countries.
Johnson is going to get absolutely monstered if he wavers by even one day now, loads of dates that people are now going to hold him by.
What is missing over here is perspective, every week is the same as the last. With the last meeting, hairdressers are allowed to open and primary school kids are back (and other schools by decision of the state). That is literally it. No shops, no restaurants, no hotels, no pubs, no sport until the magical 35/100,000 is reached (pie in the sky at the moment, you might as well say 10, 15 or 20 for all the good it is going to do).
Giving people in the UK hope only to have it taken away? One person would say it's classical control at work. Another would say it's more harmful psychologically.

An interesting few weeks ahead, don't be surprised to see stagnating declines in cases and a lot of hand wringing before stage one comes into force.

I take everything Boris comes up with,with a pinch of salt.
He talks about decisions being irreversible,well nothing is irreversible.

Just remember any announcements on education are red herrings from that scamp Williamson who is keeping the 'real' policy secret until the day before they start 😉

Looking from the outside in, I'm not quite sure what to make of the announcement.
The whole vaccination thing in the UK, while it has been a "gambled and won" situation thus far, won't be taken seriously by me until all of these millions have been fully vaccinated and not just once. By full vaccinations, the UK is miles behind other countries.
Johnson is going to get absolutely monstered if he wavers by even one day now, loads of dates that people are now going to hold him by.
What is missing over here is perspective, every week is the same as the last. With the last meeting, hairdressers are allowed to open and primary school kids are back (and other schools by decision of the state). That is literally it. No shops, no restaurants, no hotels, no pubs, no sport until the magical 35/100,000 is reached (pie in the sky at the moment, you might as well say 10, 15 or 20 for all the good it is going to do).
Giving people in the UK hope only to have it taken away? One person would say it's classical control at work. Another would say it's more harmful psychologically.

An interesting few weeks ahead, don't be surprised to see stagnating declines in cases and a lot of hand wringing before stage one comes into force.
Mmm. Not sure I agree with that.
The numbers are looking really good and evidence appears to be showing that the vaccines are working really well.
The approach seems to be very cautious and it seems very clear that these dates are based on the data. The scientists and opposition seem to be in agreement.
The UK seem overall to be miles ahead of what looks to be very poor European roll out of the vaccine?

One of the reason he has staggered the easing by 5 weeks between each emergence from the lockdown is to monitor and see if everything transmissions Hospitalisation and deahs are still falling and not increasing. So this is down to people acting sensible and not thinking they can do as they please as soon as we are almost out of lockdown. If they do there is the risk of the infections and so forth rising again, which will lead to a delay.......so whose fault would that be?

Last edited:
The numbers are looking really good and evidence appears to be showing that the vaccines are working really well.
The approach seems to be very cautious and it seems very clear that these dates are based on the data. The scientists and opposition seem to be in agreement.
The UK seem overall to be miles ahead of what looks to be very poor European roll out of the vaccine?
I agree

One of the reason he has staggered the easing by 5 weeks between each emergence from the lockdown is to monitor and see if everything transmissions Hospitalisation and deaths are still falling and not increasing. So this is down to people acting sensible and not thinking they can do as they please answer are almost out of lockdown. If they do there is the risk of the infections and so forth rising again, which will lead to a delay.......so whose fault would that be?

The infection rate isn’t one of the four tests is it?

Four tests are:

a. The vaccine deployment programme continues successfully.
b. Evidence shows vaccines are sufficiently effective in reducing hospitalisations and deaths in those vaccinated.
c. Infection rates do not risk a surge in hospitalisations which would put unsustainable pressure on the NHS.
d. Our assessment of the risks is not fundamentally changed by new Variants of Concern.

Further in the paper.....
"It takes around four weeks for the data to reflect the impact of the previous step and the Government will provide a further week’s notice to individuals and businesses before making changes. The roadmap therefore sets out indicative, “no earlier than” dates for the steps which are five weeks apart. These dates are wholly contingent on the data and are subject to change if the four tests are not met."

No argument from me on that score...the laudable aim of vaccines for all in the EU before individual countries has descended into muddled messages and inertia over here. But again, it depends on how you measure success. The UK is getting darts players to fire syringes at people, it's so quick. Meanwhile elsewhere people are focusing on getting the second jab....

Unbenannt.png

When the UK figures here far dwarf the others then we can say who has been a success.

(Not that this should be a race, mind, no matter how much the Daily Fail are trying to present it).

EDITED TO ADD: "Very cautious"? Everything open including festivals, clubs and no social distancing in four months...will believe that when I see it!

No it’s joy but it’s monitoring the data which infections will be looked at. Like Boris has just replied to a question about Boris blustering when he came to power is he acting differently or words to that effect. He replied he wasn’t going to be buccaneer about the easing of lockdown it will depend on data which is down to how people react.

No argument from me on that score...the laudable aim of vaccines for all in the EU before individual countries has descended into muddled messages and inertia over here. But again, it depends on how you measure success. The UK is getting darts players to fire syringes at people, it's so quick. Meanwhile elsewhere people are focusing on getting the second jab....

View attachment 5686

When the UK figures here far dwarf the others then we can say who has been a success.

(Not that this should be a race, mind, no matter how much the Daily Fail are trying to present it).

EDITED TO ADD: "Very cautious"? Everything open including festivals, clubs and no social distancing in four months...will believe that when I see it!
Doesn't the data coming in now show that it is preferable to get more people vaccinated with one dose (at about 70% efficiency) rather than fewer people with two doses (at about 90%)?

View attachment 5686

The efficacy of one shot in reducing hospitalisations is not to be underestimated and creates "breathing space" in itself.

View attachment 5686

need to keep the current rate of jabs per day increasing then , as not only have many more adults yet to be offered it.... there's also as @Berliner astutely points out, the matter of administering the 2nd part of the 2 part vaccination jab , within 12 weeks of the first jab

Back
Top Bottom