International News Covid-19 .....

Whilst Iā€™m not usually an advocate for the curtailment of someoneā€™s free speech are we not getting to a stage where itā€™s beyond asking individual users to just ā€œignoreā€ Nev?

In the last fortnight two OUFC fans have succumbed to this awful virus including one, very well respected and liked poster on this forum. If I was to start spreading disinformation or wild conspiracies to do with historical events or different religions would that be acceptable too?

Healthy debate, based on science or scientific opinion of qualified (in their field) great! Thereā€™s plenty Iā€™m unsure about with covid and vaccines etc. But some of the information being shared by Neville is garbage written by completely unqualified people with seemingly little grasp on reality.

Don't forget the ignore user option people.
With respect ESB, you miss the point. The stuff Neville posts is not just tripe - which is avoidable by ignoring him - but dangerous, as he's trying to down play the destructive effects of Covid-19. By allowing him to post his uninformed pieces your forum could be seen as agreeing with what he's posting.

You do not allow racist or homophobic posts with good reason - the forum could be subject to criminal proceedings if you do. Covid-denying might be stupid but it's not against the law, which is why I assume you allow it in the interests of people expressing their views, however bizarre those views.

The forum is sailing close to the wind as a result. Neville's posts may not be illegal, but surely they should be seen as immoral and dealt with accordingly? His latest 'proof' is a piece of junk informing us that WHO are lying. It's gone too far.

With respect ESB, you miss the point. The stuff Neville posts is not just tripe - which is avoidable by ignoring him - but dangerous, as he's trying to down play the destructive effects of Covid-19. By allowing him to post his uninformed pieces your forum could be seen as agreeing with what he's posting.

You do not allow racist or homophobic posts with good reason - the forum could be subject to criminal proceedings if you do. Covid-denying might be stupid but it's not against the law, which is why I assume you allow it in the interests of people expressing their views, however bizarre those views.

The forum is sailing close to the wind as a result. Neville's posts may not be illegal, but surely they should be seen as immoral and dealt with accordingly? His latest 'proof' is a piece of junk informing us that WHO are lying. It's gone too far.
This.
Moderaters please take action and block this content/user

Weekend off from numbers and used the "ignore" button for the first time ever.
Back to REALITY (some folk should try it..)
64157 people in Leicestershire have tested positive - up from 63787 (increase 370).
29117 (increase of 169) were within the Leicester City Council area.
35040 (increase of 201) cases were reported in the County.

UHL reported 13 death's.
The death's occurred on the following days: 17th December (1), 20th December (1), 26th December (1), 27th December (1), 30th December (2), 31st December (1), 3 January (1), 13th January (1), 14th December (1), 18th January (1), 21st January (1) and 22nd January (1).

Total number of UHL death's stands at 982.

Jab stats............
Daily figure for 24th Jan.
England 1st Dose 198,592
England 2nd Dose. 610
England Daily Total 199,202
UK Daily Total 221,067
Total number of vaccination.
England 1st Dose Total 5,727,693
England 2nd Dose Total 441,684
England Total 6,169,337
UK Total 7,044,048

I am admittedly a bit of a free speech nut, but I would say that it's not ESB or his fellow moderator's job to decide what is immoral and what is not. Illegal - yes, Immoral - no.

This here forum is a platform not a publication, and it shouldn't be agreeing or disagreeing with anything. It's our job as posters to do that.

I am admittedly a bit of a free speech nut, but I would say that it's not ESB or his fellow moderator's job to decide what is immoral and what is not. Illegal - yes, Immoral - no.

This here forum is a platform not a publication, and it shouldn't be agreeing or disagreeing with anything. It's our job as posters to do that.
the exception to that would be if we decided he was spreading disinformation to the extent that it was dangerous. Iā€™m not sure if what heā€™s posting would be judged as unlawful in the way that racist content would, but then this is a privately run forum with its own rules , and the moderators can exclude anyone they want.

the exception to that would be if we decided he was spreading disinformation to the extent that it was dangerous. Iā€™m not sure if what heā€™s posting would be judged as unlawful in the way that racist content would, but then this is a privately run forum with its own rules , and the moderators can exclude anyone they want.

My issue with it the lack of context. If the poster wished to post an ā€˜alternativeā€™ view on the pandemic and argue for it, fair enough. But he doesnā€™t. Itā€™s just dubious looking posts from obscure websites and YouTube videos that often throw long words around that sound clever but donā€™t mean anything. Looking through @Neville60ā€™s posts, theyā€™re just links to these - nothing else added to them.

If you want grounds to delete these kinds of posts, spamming the forum with them would be my first complaint.

I donā€™t like people just posting controversial material but not giving the opportunity to discuss. Barely even an ā€œopen your eyes sheepleā€. We can all disagree, but at some point the lack of conversation makes it spam - itā€™s not free speech, itā€™s robocalling or bill-posting.

While I understand your point, I would make it clear that I was not asking for Neville to be banned but for it to be pointed out to him that Covid-denying is not in anyone's interest during a pandemic. Whether one can attach the description 'immoral' to Covid-denying is a moot point, but I would suggest it's certainly not the right or decent thing to do. The demand for 'free speech' could be seen as an irresponsible cop out in this case.

Posting 'is Covid as serious as many think?' might be a reasonable discussion point. Regurgitating false information from myriad conspiracy sites adds nothing to debate.

For context, only the forum owner has the 'power' to make the decision whether to advise a member on what they post with any threat of action. The forum is now a much more civil place than it was in the past, but in recent years several posters have over-stepped the mark - according to the owner - and been suspended or even banned for inappropriate behaviour towards another forum member' or 'offensive posts'. So judgements ARE made and, I would suggest, might be appropriate in this case.

I don't think it's illegal to swear, but you can get a forum ban for constantly doing it. So legal or illegal isn't the issue on here.

Re Nev, should we all not agree to not respond to any of his bile itā€™s like rewarding bad behaviour in a child . Any sort of response he see as I result .( yes I know Iā€™ve just responded)šŸ˜œ

Back
Top Bottom