International News Covid-19 .....

If there is any man made reason for it not working its because of the system, implementation and total distrust of the corrupt hypocritical government not because of the people. Even the moderately gullible tories are starting to see that now, only the total basket case tories still covering their eyes and ears.

If there is any man made reason for it not working its because of the system, implementation and total distrust of the corrupt hypocritical government not because of the people. Even the moderately gullible tories are starting to see that now, only the total basket case tories still covering their eyes and ears.
Whatever you think of the government, you cannot completely absolve 'the people' (or at least some of them) - Some will just ignore any rules; some will seize on any high-profile breach as an excuse to do what they like; some will seize on ' confused messaging' to do what they like; etc
'The people' SHOULD be able to (and have a responsibility to) separate the core message from the other surrounding 'noise' (Barnard castle, minimal symptoms for younger age groups, contracts for the boys, changing wording, Andy Burnham, north/south divide, etc) and follow it - and most do - but some are using the noise to pretend not to hear and they should not be absolved of any responsibility for the consequences of that.

I read the following two articles on El Pais yesterday...thought they were very interesting and well presented:

I read the following two articles on El Pais yesterday...thought they were very interesting and well presented:

Excellent stuff, thanks for sharing.

• React
Reactions: UTM
Whatever you think of the government, you cannot completely absolve 'the people' (or at least some of them) - Some will just ignore any rules; some will seize on any high-profile breach as an excuse to do what they like; some will seize on ' confused messaging' to do what they like; etc
'The people' SHOULD be able to (and have a responsibility to) separate the core message from the other surrounding 'noise' (Barnard castle, minimal symptoms for younger age groups, contracts for the boys, changing wording, Andy Burnham, north/south divide, etc) and follow it - and most do - but some are using the noise to pretend not to hear and they should not be absolved of any responsibility for the consequences of that.
Yes it's a redeeming part of human nature that we do not mindlessly follow orders, especially when the orders are confused. We aren't ants. And the failure to listen isn't just a British problem - see the queues of traffic leaving Paris to escape to second homes in the countryside.

Fascinating analysis!

Well presented data.

• React
Is it working?

Well it is keeping things manageable.
We are a bit "forgotten" in the headlines but just being stoic and getting on with life.
There are lots of testing centres and healthcare across the county is coping fine and even doing "normal" stuff.
I`ve just had a minor procedure done and the hospital is segregated in 2 "bubbles" one for inpatients (lots of screening etc) one for outpatients.
Staff aren`t allowed to mix and inpatients go in and out the back door. Outpatients through the front.
Worked well and everyone was playing by the rules.

Then over the border in Nottingham there is "student carnage".

It`s down to us is the simple message.

Eh , this is put so well and explains in detail the factors involved , and I’d say may be send this detailed report to everyone you know . Simply best report l have seen in lay man talk . Great post Berliner , oh one of favourite places in the world btw. Hope to be able to get there again sometime soon, one can hope .

“Chinese health authorities, who concluded that poor ventilation can be a decisive risk factor if contact is maintained during prolonged periods. Again, time plus social proximity multiplies the risks”
An Thank You China for the advice , you have helped so much to make this world a better place . Ooooopppppps Sorry Mods , more spam on its way now....?

Last edited:
“Chinese health authorities, who concluded that poor ventilation can be a decisive risk factor if contact is maintained during prolonged periods. Again, time plus social proximity multiplies the risks”
An Thank You China for the advice , you have helped so much to make this world a better place . Ooooopppppps Sorry Mods , more spam on its way now....[emoji847]
Yeah, the problem is the British by nature are stubborn and don't listen to anyone else. Glad they don't listen to the British..

• React
Yeah, the problem is the British by nature are stubborn and don't listen to anyone else. Glad they don't listen to the British..
For once I agree with you , not just us but Europe and even worse USA . This could be very costly .

An Thank You China for the advice , you have helped so much to make this world a better place . Ooooopppppps Sorry Mods , more spam on its way now....?
However it seems that a bit of sense on the part of our government could have significantly reduced infections.

Many on here were says why are planes flying to and from the Med in such number?

Why did some selfish bastards have to have their lager fuelled holiday whilst many of us were sacrificing holidays and even just trips out?

Really interesting article from a Swedish Doctor on how herd immunity has built up in Sweden (They are current at 2 deaths per day on average from COVID).

He interestingly points out that both the UK and Italy have mortality curves very similar to Sweden's, and speculates that the UK went into lockdown too late for it to have any noticeable impact on the spread of the virus.

He also points out the rather relaxed approach that the Swedish population are taking. 'When I sit in the tube on the way to and from work, it is packed with people. Maybe one in a hundred people is choosing to wear a face mask in public. In Stockholm, life is largely back to normal. If you look at the front pages of the tabloids, on many days there isn’t a single mention of covid anywhere. As I write this (19th September 2020) the front pages of the two main tabloids have big spreads about arthritis and pensions. Apparently arthritis and pensions are currently more exciting than covid-19 in Sweden'.

• React
Back
Top Bottom