International News Covid-19 .....

When this all started I quite liked Matt Hancock. Sadly he's become as much of a joke as the rest of the politician idiots we have to put up with.

I'll be posting this 10 million times a day which is about as likely as carrying out 10 million covid tests a day.

Have none of the Tories ever studied Maths? Obviously BJ hasn't, not being able to count the number of children he's got.

Good news, finally. After hours of clicking refresh on the .gov test booking site, a very limited number of test slots became available, but they are going so quick that you can easily miss them between selecting a time slot and pressing continue!

We've had to go for one in Swindon....as all Oxford ones gone inside 5 minutes.......I feel dirty already!

Just for fun I went through the online process as far as selecting a site.
Choice of 4 (all local) 2 walk in, 2 drive in ....each had between 5-10 appointments available today.*

What was I doing wrong?

*I do appreciate we have more test centres than most.
Aylestone Leisure Centre
Bede Park piazza (walk-in)
Belgrave Neighbourhood Centre (indoors, walk-in)
Birstall Park and Ride (permanent site – drive through only)
Braunstone Leisure Centre
Evington Leisure Centre
Highfields Centre (walk-in)
New Parks Children, Young People and Family Centre, Pindar Road
Overton Road (walk-in)
Victoria Park (mobile unit – drive through).
County Hall (mobile unit - drive through)

Choice of 4 (all local) 2 walk in, 2 drive in ....each had between 5-10 appointments available today.*

What was I doing wrong?

Aylestone Leisure Centre
Evington Leisure Centre
Overton Road (walk-in)
You're over 18? (more centres available for over 18's), You're a key worker? (given priority of slots available)
Leicester has greater capacity? (because you are plague central)
There have been slots available in your area over the last 24 hours which hasn't created a logjam....unlike here?
You didn't actually go all the way through to book an appointment? - Tewkesbury, Droitwitch and Bristol all said they had slots available yesterday - when you try and book one, they don't exist! Even today, the Oxford ones were gone between selecting a timeslot and pressing continue.

Until you have a confirmation email safely nestled in your inbox, you do not have a test slot booked!

What was I doing wrong?

Aylestone Leisure Centre
Evington Leisure Centre
Overton Road (walk-in)
Which presumable is why there are problems elsewhere.

Home tests, where the kit is posted to you and you post it back. Had my result within 48 hours, I noticed they’re now only for certain people, symptoms etc, but are they not available via the Gov.uk website anymore?
Nope - none available through .gov.

You're over 18? (more centres available for over 18's), You're a key worker? (given priority of slots available)
Leicester has greater capacity? (because you are plague central)
There have been slots available in your area over the last 24 hours which hasn't created a logjam....unlike here?
You didn't actually go all the way through to book an appointment? - Tewkesbury, Droitwitch and Bristol all said they had slots available yesterday - when you try and book one, they don't exist! Even today, the Oxford ones were gone between selecting a timeslot and pressing continue.

Until you have a confirmation email safely nestled in your inbox, you do not have a test slot booked!

I might just book one to annoy folk......... and that is another part of the problem.
Listened to a woman on the radio today who was "going to visit her family in Scotland".
There were 5 in her party............... they wanted to get tested "to make sure"...... cue much whining about unavailability.
It didn`t matter to her that between being tested and arriving at Granny`s in Scotland she, or one of the party, could well get infected and behave differently because they tested negative!

9952 people in Leicestershire have tested positive - up from 9847 (increase 105).
6043 (increase of 53) are within the Leicester City Council area.
3909 (increase of 52) cases were reported in the County.

Hospital admissions..... 15 this week.

No further deaths reported.

The number of cases is getting many folk very jittery. If it starts doubling in a week to ten days we will soon be back at the peaks of mid-April to mid May. And with that will be lots of hospitalised patients and an increase in deaths.

Hands - Face - Space !

This point is one that doesnt seem to be getting through to the thick twats- we are in exactly the position we were in March. As sure as night follows day, virus deaths will increase with case numbers. Yet some people, im not sure if in denial or what, have convinced themselves its milder, we have lots more cures etc.

Exponential growth and a case/hospitalisation/death lag are the first chapters in "epidemiology for dummies" yet even with the cold hard figures from Spain, France and the NW of England clearly showing all key figures increasing, people are still trying to pretend its nothing. Infuriating.

To give us any hope over the next few months, we have to develop a quick turnaround test i.e cheap to buy and quick to get results. Thats possibly a better investment than a vaccine in terms of returning to normality.

Yes, quite interesting.

The editorial comments (in italics) do themselves point out some of the question marks. It is difficult for one of the great unwashed like me to read items like this and be sure we understand the scientific basis of it. For example this chap is not an epidemiologist and admits that what he did originally was 'probably out of ignorance'. Now either epidemiology as a discipline has disappeared up it's own fundament and a simple numerical comparison like this chap has done is all you need to work out what will happen, or he simply does not understand all the factors that might be involved. I don't know which of these might be true, but I am always a little suspicious of an 'outsider' to any discipline who announces he has suddenly and by chance found something that makes him better able to understand an subject than those who have been studying it for years. It's not impossible of course, but fairly unlikely.

Reagrding deaths in the USA he does say "Right now it is around 155,000 in the U.S., and I am expecting it to end up under 170,000 or maybe 175,000." - it is already nearly 198,000 and the deaths have not stopped. That doesn't engender much confidence!

Also (given that he seems to have a radical view not widely shared) I would be interested in his own politics, so we could be sure that he isn't deriving possible courses of actions to fit what he thinks should happen anyway!

Numbers...
10,052 people in Leicestershire have tested positive - up from 9952 (increase 100).
6103 (increase of 60) are within the Leicester City Council area.
3949 (increase of 40) cases were reported in the County.

No increase in deaths.

Yes, quite interesting.

The editorial comments (in italics) do themselves point out some of the question marks. It is difficult for one of the great unwashed like me to read items like this and be sure we understand the scientific basis of it. For example this chap is not an epidemiologist and admits that what he did originally was 'probably out of ignorance'. Now either epidemiology as a discipline has disappeared up it's own fundament and a simple numerical comparison like this chap has done is all you need to work out what will happen, or he simply does not understand all the factors that might be involved. I don't know which of these might be true, but I am always a little suspicious of an 'outsider' to any discipline who announces he has suddenly and by chance found something that makes him better able to understand an subject than those who have been studying it for years. It's not impossible of course, but fairly unlikely.

Reagrding deaths in the USA he does say "Right now it is around 155,000 in the U.S., and I am expecting it to end up under 170,000 or maybe 175,000." - it is already nearly 198,000 and the deaths have not stopped. That doesn't engender much confidence!

Also (given that he seems to have a radical view not widely shared) I would be interested in his own politics, so we could be sure that he isn't deriving possible courses of actions to fit what he thinks should happen anyway!

I do try and look at alternative views, I kind of get where he is coming from in that the action of locking down will be the cause of more problems than it solves.

Back
Top Bottom