International News Covid-19 .....

Another example of idiocy from near me. Basically a bloke came back from Spain, went straight to this pub instead of self isolating like he should have Got covid symptoms, got tested and was positive. Pub shut and everyone in that pub at the same time has to self isolate.

I’m sure ‘Gary Baldi’ grumps about in a ‘gammon hamlet’ in rural Oxfordshire
saucer-of-milk-at-table-two.jpg

Another example of idiocy from near me. Basically a bloke came back from Spain, went straight to this pub instead of self isolating like he should have Got covid symptoms, got tested and was positive. Pub shut and everyone in that pub at the same time has to self isolate.

This is the problem with any attempts to sensibly open up things, it only takes one selfish A*****e to ruin things for everybody else. And Covid crisis has shown that we have a huge number of brilliantly caring people. But also a huge number of selfish arseholes.

IMO this is criminally outrageous ... those who took taxpayers money, and took the P**s, ( including paying shareholders dividends while laying employees off, and taking taxpayer funded bailouts), should be prosecuted and forced to pay all the taxpayer funded bailouts they 'enjoyed' back - the shareholders obvious can afford it? :mad:

• React
Reactions: m
8448 people in Leicestershire have been tested positive - up from 8411 yesterday. (increase of 37).
5084 (increase of 30) of them are within the Leicester City Council area.
3364 (increase of 7) are in the County.

Deaths remain at 437.

IMO this is criminally outrageous ... those who took taxpayers money, and took the P**s, ( including paying shareholders dividends while laying employees off, and taking taxpayer funded bailouts), should be prosecuted and forced to pay all the taxpayer funded bailouts they 'enjoyed' back - the shareholders obvious can afford it? :mad:

Because the shareholders bonus is generally linked to the preceding years performance so paid in arrears?
21 of the companies have paid dividends.
21 cancelled their dividend.
26 have planned redundancies..... furlough is coming to an end.... see it as a gentle emergency landing rather than nose diving into the mountain.

The only part I would agree with is the support given to "offshore based" companies. Should have left them too it.

Indeed @Sarge

I'd be interested to hear if anyone wants to justify extending the furlough scheme to offshore companies.

Indeed @Sarge

I'd be interested to hear if anyone wants to justify extending the furlough scheme to offshore companies.

They should never have got it in the first place, put them in the same boat as those who also are "very tax efficient" with how their businesses are run.
You avoid paying your fair share don`t be whining when the system can`t help you....

Love & peace a PAYE Employee.

UK Unemployment will rise as the furlough scheme gets rolled back. It was delaying the inevitable.

Meanwhile, white collar workers are better off (both time wise and by spending less £) whilst being just as productive. Why would you go back fully to the old habits? My employer has no plans to reopen the office this year. Not that the politicians get it...

Iain Duncan Smith said: 'It's outrageous that people are still being told they shouldn't go back to work. If they don't go back to work, economic Armageddon will hit Britain and with it will come swathes of unemployment leading to even more lives being lost.'

Many of us are working just as hard as ever, be it remotely Iain! Whilst I feel for anybody who is hit by unemployment, this is the "markets" doing what they are designed to do. Y'know, the economic model this Tory mob swears by...

UK Unemployment will rise as the furlough scheme gets rolled back. It was delaying the inevitable.

Meanwhile, white collar workers are better off (both time wise and by spending less £) whilst being just as productive. Why would you go back fully to the old habits? My employer has no plans to reopen the office this year. Not that the politicians get it...

Iain Duncan Smith said: 'It's outrageous that people are still being told they shouldn't go back to work. If they don't go back to work, economic Armageddon will hit Britain and with it will come swathes of unemployment leading to even more lives being lost.'

Many of us are working just as hard as ever, be it remotely Iain! Whilst I feel for anybody who is hit by unemployment, this is the "markets" doing what they are designed to do. Y'know, the economic model this Tory mob swears by...

Do you actually enjoy working from home though? My missus is working from our kitchen at the moment (and I am still considering charging her company rent) and while she enjoys the shorter hours due to no travel time she misses seeing people, to the extent that she is desperate enough to chat my ears off when I get home from working all over, she says she would prefer a couple of days at work and 3 at home if she had a choice.

Do you actually enjoy working from home though? My missus is working from our kitchen at the moment (and I am still considering charging her company rent) and while she enjoys the shorter hours due to no travel time she misses seeing people, to the extent that she is desperate enough to chat my ears off when I get home from working all over, she says she would prefer a couple of days at work and 3 at home if she had a choice.
I am currently working 2 days at the office, and 3 at home, it's a good balance for me. Although I couldn't do it from the dining room table, I have converted a room properly. Works well for me as I am a programmer, a lot of jobs aren't as easy from home - no matter how good your webcam and Internet connection, collaboration is much better in the same room.

Furlough is only a gentle crash landing rather than nose diving onto the tarmac and killing everyone on board.
Working from home will become far more normal for a lot of people although, as above, I miss the interaction with people.
3/2 would work well for me!
Myself & Mrs EY MkII are both WFH and will be for the foreseeable she has an office upstairs and I get the dining room.
No real choice as other departments have had to expand into our respective offices for SD and hot desking is banned across the Trust.
In turn its likely businesses will start to consider if they need the "bricks & mortar" that come at a cost. That will have a knock on impact on town centres, coffee shops etc.

Interesting times ahead...

Been working from home seven years now so am pretty used to it. Now I would say I like it a lot, however, I spent a lot of my time travelling when not behind the computer stuff. Unfortunately with travel restrictions that stopped in March time and its felt a bit of a slog. I’m due to start travelling again from the end of the month so hopefully that will break up the grind a bit. I’m certainly as busy now as I ever have been!

I’d imagine IDS & BOJO are kicking off because they want people travelling into work, paying extortionate travel costs, buying their coffee, pret sandwich, pints etc. in the places that surround a lot of the business hubs in the U.K.

I also imagine there’s a lot of their own private investment and quite possibly our pensions tied up in the commercial real estate that everyone has realised is overpriced and unnecessary.

As my role and company have changed in the past few years, I've worked less and less with people in the office and more with the world, so working from home suits me a lot and I'm arguably more productive now. COVID has effectively changed how my org plans it offices and work practices.

Although, my orgs back to office scheme is a mess already and I am happy to stay in my little nook and work from home instead of pointless back to work processes. Not sure the company is so good at home though, but tolerable nonetheless ?.

Back
Top Bottom