International News Covid-19 .....

Such as folk to scared to seek help die of whatever and become an excess death (wouldn`t have normally died).......... now is that a Covid related death?
Yes, it is. If the death was caused by the pandemic (either through commission or omission) then it is a Covid related death. For example, there are many people whose hospital appointments for potentially serious conditions have been cancelled or delayed by a long time as a direct result of Covid. If they go on to die because of that, then they are a victim of the pandemic - whether they ever had the disease or not.

• React
Reactions: PQ
Oxford institution since the early 1600s has , due to CV19, been cancelled for 2020- St Giles Fair ( and probably all the surrounding travelling fairs that follow a few weeks after elsewhere in the 'shire) is off ....

Yes, it is. If the death was caused by the pandemic (either through commission or omission) then it is a Covid related death. For example, there are many people whose hospital appointments for potentially serious conditions have been cancelled or delayed by a long time as a direct result of Covid. If they go on to die because of that, then they are a victim of the pandemic - whether they ever had the disease or not.

Yes ......................but what about the person who tested positive, recovered and got hit by the bus?? ? ?

The one you made up? :rolleyes:

But obviously no, the mythical bus/Covid patient should not be counted as a Covid death. Which is why looking at the excess deaths is a more accurate way of measuring what is happening. It doesn't matter if you were hit by a bus or died either directly or indirectly as a result of the pandemic - you are counted. The obvious difference between this year and the others?

As was correctly pointed out to me some days ago, with the reduction in the numbers going out the likelihood of anyone getting hit by a bus (whatever their medical history) is substantially down anyway...

The number of excess deaths will be the one true indicator. With society locking down for 3 months, you would expect to see fewer car accidents, fewer workplace accidents, and less antisocial behaviour (fighting, drunkenness etc), so it will be reasonable to assume that most excess deaths are covid related (in one form or another).

Unless of course there is a significant increase in people getting hit by buses!!

meanwhile government plans to lockdown inside the M25 should cv19 continue to surge/ spike in London boroughs maybe a half decent idea.... but good old Bojo & Dom couldn't be arsed to consult with the elected mayor of London nor any of the London Borough council leaders on the subject .... hmmm democracy or dictatorship? :unsure:

meanwhile government plans to lockdown inside the M25 should cv19 continue to surge/ spike in London boroughs maybe a half decent idea.... but good old Bojo & Dom couldn't be arsed to consult with the elected mayor of London nor any of the London Borough council leaders on the subject .... hmmm democracy or dictatorship? :unsure:

But would you want to consult with Sadiq

But would you want to consult with Sadiq

I've not been democratically elected ... Khan has, as have been the London borough council leaders, -and so has Bojo ( Cummings hasn't of course) .... in a Democracy you consult- whether you like the consultees or not- in dictatorships, there's not any need to consult

I've not been democratically elected ... Khan has, as have been the London borough council leaders, -and so has Bojo ( Cummings hasn't of course) .... in a Democracy you consult- whether you like the consultees or not- in dictatorships, there's not any need to consult
But Sadiq has since he was elected mayor been Tory bashing and definitely Boris bashing. At least Andy Burnham am ex labour MP has acted with regarding the latest spike in Manchester,
Whereas I think Sadiq would wait and wait and wait until it’s to late them spin it as the government didn’t act.

But Sadiq has since he was elected mayor been Tory bashing and definitely Boris bashing. At least Andy Burnham am ex labour MP has acted with regarding the latest spike in Manchester,
Whereas I think Sadiq would wait and wait and wait until it’s to late them spin it as the government didn’t act.

Johnson & co have done likewise playing politics (ie. the bailout for TfL), it is what politicians in this country generally do so that is utterly irrelevant. Johnson and co are consistent with this though as they didn't bother consulting with the local authorities the other day either.

Does anybody, honestly, knowing how contagious and bizarre symptom wise Covid is, still believe it came purely by chance from a wet market? Interested to know whether that is still the majority view.

Does anybody, honestly, knowing how contagious and bizarre symptom wise Covid is, still believe it came purely by chance from a wet market? Interested to know whether that is still the majority view.

I do, because nature has vast variation/complexity. Just look at the breadth of life, across all environments, from the most miniscule to the largest. And this isn't the only Coronavirus that has caused concern.

I personally think it accidentally got out of the virology lab down the road, the Chinese s**t themselves and then it all got a bit out of hand while they tried to clean it up to no avail. I don’t think it was intentionally released as some sort of super villain style plot to cripple the global economy and bring the west to its knees - I think it’s just a catastrophic error followed by one hell of a poorly handled response.

Not that we will ever know, nor do I find the idea that it simply ‘happened’ to be unbelievable. I think it’s unlikely for a number of reasons, but definitely possible.

I'm presuming that you are inferring that you think this is a manufactured virus?
I'd be interested to know why you think this as every single reputable virologist I have read or heard has dismissed this.
Do you also think Ebola is man made? SARS? MERS?
Why do you think that anyone (China presumably) have developed a virus that is very communicable to everyone (including the Chinese), not fatal in most cases (if it is supposed to be a weapon), with no vaccine that has the ability to mutate? That seems unlikely, to say the least.

So yes, I believe it is a natural virus that has come from the wet markets in China, based on the fact that I haven't heard anyone else who knows what they are talking about (i.e. not some bloke on Twitter, or a dodgy conspiracy website) say anything else.

8370 people in Leicestershire have been tested positive - (increase of 60).
5028 (increase of 42) of them are within the Leicester City Council area.
3342 (increase of 18) are in the County.

No further deaths total stays at 437.

I'd be interested to know why you think this as every single reputable virologist I have read or heard has dismissed this.
Do you also think Ebola is man made? SARS? MERS?
Why do you think that anyone (China presumably) have developed a virus that is very communicable to everyone (including the Chinese), not fatal in most cases (if it is supposed to be a weapon), with no vaccine that has the ability to mutate? That seems unlikely, to say the least.

So yes, I believe it is a natural virus that has come from the wet markets in China, based on the fact that I haven't heard anyone else who knows what they are talking about (i.e. not some bloke on Twitter, or a dodgy conspiracy website) say anything else.
The Oxford virologist who is married to my mate thinks it’s far more likely to be man made because in her words, “We’re all messing about with viruses and creating new artificial strains constantly, because it’s how we try to plan for pandemic scenarios and make vaccines on things that have the ability to evolve to begin with.” She says it’s exactly the same reason why every disease we’ve ever eradicated from human circulation is essentially kept deep frozen in big fridges all over the world, rather than simply destroyed and forgotten about. The job of science is, in her own words, “To constantly f**k about and see what sticks, even when the reality of what we’re doing is absolutely horrifying.”

She’s one of the many scientists working on the vaccine right now. She seems perfectly calm about it all, but she’s happy to say that the vast majority of people she’s working with are more than a little suspicious. That said, she also says America P**s about with more viruses and strange concoctions than every other country combined, so there’s something to look forward to!

What a strange world, either way.

Virus' that occur in nature tend to be specific, in that they have distinct symptoms and or they attack particular parts of the body.

Given the wide range of both symptoms and consequences that appear to come with CV19, I could quite happily believe that someone was playing pick'n'mix with a few strains and some human genetic material.

Back
Top Bottom