International News Covid-19 .....

Andy Burnham aside, there’s been another negative response to the timing of the announcement, not just from Starmer but others in positions of influence but I thought the Imam of Batley mosque was at the very least thoughtless and certainly provocative for questioning whether this same announcement would have been made on Christmas Eve.
We had Easter affected by this.

Whilst I agree that local lockdowns have to be implemented (and quickly) I am not convinced that a tweet about the new restrictions at 10pm that took effect in two hours time was really the best way to handle this. They must have known earlier in the day that this was going to happen?

Whilst I agree that local lockdowns have to be implemented (and quickly) I am not convinced that a tweet about the new restrictions at 10pm that took effect in two hours time was really the best way to handle this. They must have known earlier in the day that this was going to happen?
They were meeting late into the evening; what time would you prefer the announcement to be made?
Announce last night,people complain it’s too rushed.
Announce this morning, the ‘what abouters’ complain that people might have died overnight while the government delays the announcement.
Damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

They wouldn't do anything like this on Christmas eve, and people wouldn't comply if they did.
Not even if it stops people dying? You think the government wouldn’t want to risk offending some of the population for a couple of days and the public would rather sit around in their bored family groups eating inordinate amounts of food and drink and watching some repeat Xmas special on TV on Christmas and Boxing Days and have no conscience about those dead or dying? Because of religion?

They were meeting late into the evening; what time would you prefer the announcement to be made?
Announce last night,people complain it’s too rushed.
Announce this morning, the ‘what abouters’ complain that people might have died overnight while the government delays the announcement.
Damned if they do, damned if they don’t.
All I said was "the earlier the better" - listening to the head of Burnley Council on the radio at 10:30 last night, the only information he had at that time was what was on the BBC website. He said they had had no indication that the announcement was going to be made and had no communication.
I am *not* criticising or damning them for doing this - although maybe they could have started their meeting a bit earlier? Or given some indication to local elected officials that this was likely to happen?
Better to do it late than not at all, but better to do it earlier if they could - if they want the affected populations to comply (and that's the only way this is ever going to work - we aren't a police state) then they need to make it as little inconvenience as possible. Two hours notice isn't that.

Not even if it stops people dying? You think the government wouldn’t want to risk offending some of the population for a couple of days and the public would rather sit around in their bored family groups eating inordinate amounts of food and drink and watching some repeat Xmas special on TV on Christmas and Boxing Days and have no conscience about those dead or dying? Because of religion?
I'm saying they wouldn't do it because people wouldn't take any notice and go about their xmas day in the same way they would have done had there not been an announcement.

I am a vulnerable 76yr old who has been shielding at home since the beginning of March. Even now I am worried about venturing out under any conditions due largely to the actions of idiots such as your workmate.
Furthermore I find it reprehensible that you did not, at least, share this information with your employer or even share it with the appropriate authorities.

My employer hasn’t really given a s**t (apart from putting up stickers after a couple of months) all through this so it didn’t really seem worth it.

Do you mean that the pandemic is 'all over' or it's all over for people showing any sort of good sense while it is going on?

The first isn't true (of course) and one of the causes of it is the second!

I meant people social distancing, if you are out and about as much as I am for my job you get a pretty good overview of the country, that seems to be the way a lot view it.

I'm saying they wouldn't do it because people wouldn't take any notice and go about their xmas day in the same way they would have done had there not been an announcement.
I’m not religious and I respect the views of those who are but I wonder how many people who celebrate Christmas are actually Christians and / or how many just want to be with family for a few days. Either way, there’s no telling how many would be prepared to give up Christmas to save lives and get us out of lockdown earlier.

Andy Burnham aside, there’s been another negative response to the timing of the announcement, not just from Starmer but others in positions of influence but I thought the Imam of Batley mosque was at the very least thoughtless and certainly provocative for questioning whether this same announcement would have been made on Christmas Eve.
Am I right in thinking that some of the earlier restrictions were only lifted the day after the festival to celebrate the end of Ramadan?

Am I right in thinking that some of the earlier restrictions were only lifted the day after the festival to celebrate the end of Ramadan?
I don’t know about that, are you suggesting religious bias against Muslims?

Back
Top Bottom