International News Covid-19 .....

DC just had to admit having made an error of judgement & apologised.
He BJ would have retained credibility & we could have moved on.
But no, "error. Mistake. Sorry " just not in their vocabulary.
Politicians can't see that joe public actually have respect for people who own up to mistakes.

It's hard to imagine that the DC/BJ symbiosis won't fracture at some point.

Until now DC's perception and manipulation of the zeitgeist has been little short of breathtaking. He has however just illustrated that he can judge the mood very wrongly.* DC will always need a frontman.

BJ must feel wounded by DC's lack of apology, I find it hard to believe that he didn't ask him too. Is BJ confident enough in his own abilities or in possession of enough pride to think he can go it alone?

*or of course he's operating on some intellectual plane well beyond the likes of me - which is entirely possible.

It's hard to imagine that the DC/BJ symbiosis won't fracture at some point.

Until now DC's perception and manipulation of the zeitgeist has been little short of breathtaking. He has however just illustrated that he can judge the mood very wrongly.* DC will always need a frontman.

BJ must feel wounded by DC's lack of apology, I find it hard to believe that he didn't ask him too. Is BJ confident enough in his own abilities or in possession of enough pride to think he can go it alone?

*or of course he's operating on some intellectual plane well beyond the likes of me - which is entirely possible.
If you recall last year, Boris was asked to apologise for something and never did, so Cummings is only really following his bosses mantra. Don't apologise for any and every furore just because the media and activists demand it.

The below Twitter thread is an interesting read about some research completed in Singapore around SARS-1 and Covid - author is a Professor from UCL.
A research paper is below:

If you recall last year, Boris was asked to apologise for something and never did, so Cummings is only really following his bosses mantra. Don't apologise for any and every furore just because the media and activists demand it.

This wasn't just media and activists though, I really think it upset a far wider circle.

I've lost count of the things Boris has been asked to apologise for and whether he has or hasn't!

That does look promising (although it's important to note that biorxiv is a "preprint" server, so the papers there have not yet been through peer review).
It does and is only just one piece of a much, much larger puzzle for why certain countries may have been hit worse than others.

This wasn't just media and activists though, I really think it upset a far wider circle.

I've lost count of the things Boris has been asked to apologise for and whether he has or hasn't!
It's a lot, and I suspect he learned the trick from DC, but not that DC. Sadly, culturally we're in a place where people apologise for so much that it's almost become meaningless other than a sop for PR people

Economic support provided by Government has been quick and significant to date. HMRC systems have proved to be extremely robust.

Lots of activity in the service sector despite all the restrictions. Predict the U.K. recession will be comparatively mild compared to other major economies.

Particularly those countries that have closed down to suppress the virus, kyboshed their economies in the process , and are now opening up just as the virus is picking up. ( I’m talking Southern Hemisphere nations going into winter.)

Rishi Sunak very popular in the country right now, he’s fluent in the pressers at the moment and appears to have a plan.

However anyone can be popular when they’re handing out billions of pounds. Let’s see how popular he is after October.

Particularly those countries that have closed down to suppress the virus, kyboshed their economies in the process , and are now opening up just as the virus is picking up. ( I’m talking Southern Hemisphere nations going into winter.)
A bit of diversity there. Who’s your money on between New Zealand and Brazil?

Too many people are flocking to beauty spots.
Does this mean it's OK to flock to Swindon.

Economic support provided by Government has been quick and significant to date. HMRC systems have proved to be extremely robust.

Lots of activity in the service sector despite all the restrictions. Predict the U.K. recession will be comparatively mild compared to other major economies.

Rishi Sunak very popular in the country right now, he’s fluent in the pressers at the moment and appears to have a plan.

However anyone can be popular when they’re handing out billions of pounds. Let’s see how popular he is after October.
Agreed. I feel the recession and economic impact for the UK will be deeper and more prolonged.

There are fundamental changes that have happened. Here in Malaysia online shopping has increased dramatically. If the same for the UK, retail will suffer. For a lot of industries WFH has become the norm and shown there is not need for the office space we have at the moment.

Personally I feel it will impact London particularly. It will also encourage more nearshoring to other low cost locations across the UK.

So much for protecting care homes. My Mum’s home should have had tests delivered on 11th May for all residents and staff. Two days ago they still hadn’t arrived...
And she’s in a (very good) national chain one, that has some clout, so assume the PR hype from the Govt about testing is flawed.

This is why we shouldn't rely on people's common sense to contain a pandemic.

BBC News - Durdle Door: Three seriously hurt 'jumping off cliff into sea'
Astounding! As is the photo within that piece showing the crowds at Durdle Door not even attempting social distancing. Given the situation we're in, irrespective of latest guidelines how can anyone of sound mind think that behaviour is wise?

Mind you, saw a piece on TV last night of people being interviewed on another, equally crowded, beach somewhere. One woman said she was 'bored' with the restrictions and didn't see the point of new social distancing rules being introduced as they were 'all the same'. No idea what percentage of the population act and think in these ways, but it's very worrying and a second spike must surely be inevitable.

Astounding! As is the photo within that piece showing the crowds at Durdle Door not even attempting social distancing. Given the situation we're in, irrespective of latest guidelines how can anyone of sound mind think that behaviour is wise?

Mind you, saw a piece on TV last night of people being interviewed on another, equally crowded, beach somewhere. One woman said she was 'bored' with the restrictions and didn't see the point of new social distancing rules being introduced as they were 'all the same'. No idea what percentage of the population act and think in these ways, but it's very worrying and a second spike must surely be inevitable.

Know doubt equally bored with the payments from The Government to enable her to stay home...Let's hope nobody you know or care about gets ill hey love......You just carry on with your selfish attitude it's only the old uns mainly fighting for breath and the rest of the populous will just carry on staring at 4 walls because thanks to you and your kind that's likely to be the reality...Keep checking your phone for the news update that the Government have had to stop helping the Nation...Enjoy the Sunshine !

Back
Top Bottom