General Courage - Just to say I feel that it takes more

Think they’re about even in different ways. Depends on your position.

I played scrum half at school. I mostly felt well protected but got the occasional massive whack.

I played striker in south London and feared for my ankles and calves every bloody game.

The sport I used to fear the most was hockey (field not ice) you had the sticks that could hurt you and the ball that could bloody hurt you, needed eyes in the back of your head. Football and Rugby never bothered me, went Boxing for a bit and I didn’t mind that, Cricket I was fine with but f**k playing hockey, sport for masochists.

The sport I used to fear the most was hockey (field not ice) you had the sticks that could hurt you and the ball that could bloody hurt you, needed eyes in the back of your head. Football and Rugby never bothered me, went Boxing for a bit and I didn’t mind that, Cricket I was fine with but f**k playing hockey, sport for masochists.
Yes we played hockey at school. I hated short corners where I was expected to run towards the ball. In younger years it was fine but as you got to older age groups some schools had kids who could routinely launch the ball upwards towards the top corners of the goal.

Yes we played hockey at school. I hated short corners where I was expected to run towards the ball. In younger years it was fine but as you got to older age groups some schools had kids who could routinely launch the ball upwards towards the top corners of the goal.
They made us play hockey a couple of times in 3rd year and it was just a bunch of teenage lads playing golf shots and trying to hit someone. Horrible!

Lord Bills in Thame
I do have memories of playing in a Hockey match at Lord Bills and someone scoring with a header (of course it was disallowed) although not in a house match. Would have been 1989ish.

I Guess in Thame Hockey was played differently...

Would have been early 70s (left in 74) - they disallowed mine too......

Back
Top Bottom