country to lockdown friday

We will see Scotchers. My work seem to think it will be Friday when tough restrictions will come in. Half the population aren't following the government's guidelines so tougher measures are going to be needed like all other European countries.
'Half the population ' that's a massive exaggeration as is the OP

That'll be a good one! Aldershot closed most of the barracks etc years ago. Para's moved out along with others. The catering schools have gone and new houses have been built on the old land. Bordon, which is just up the road from me, said goodbye to the army a while ago so no room there either.
I think somebody has been telling some porkies!
ITV reporting it as Aldershot too.

ITV reporting it as Aldershot too.

Within that "report" is this: 150 servicemen and women will begin training on Monday - learning how to drive oxygen tankers to hospitals. It might just, repeat, just be possible to find space for these 150. There most certainly isn't space, let alone accommodation, for 10,000 additional troops. Not, of course, that this report makes any mention of that number actually being garrisoned at Aldershot. What it says is that 10,000 troops are at a state of higher readiness and that, that number could be doubled to 20,000.

Within that "report" is this: 150 servicemen and women will begin training on Monday - learning how to drive oxygen tankers to hospitals. It might just, repeat, just be possible to find space for these 150. There most certainly isn't space, let alone accommodation, for 10,000 additional troops. Not, of course, that this report makes any mention of that number actually being garrisoned at Aldershot. What it says is that 10,000 troops are at a state of higher readiness and that, that number could be doubled to 20,000.
Fair enough, I wasn't suggesting the ITV report was accurate, just pointing out that the BBC (as per @Sarge) weren't the only news outlet reporting the base as Aldershot.
Wouldn't be the first time these 2 organisations had got things wrong.

Really? Wonder if it's more a case of people wanting to see their family and friends still alive when this is over?
This is one of the more stupid things I’ve seen on here. Stay at home. Dont be more of a prat than you have to be.
Dear Werther and Horseman I appreciate we all have different opinions about this unprecedented global threat.
I would like to make a couple of points about the probable lockdown.
I live in south london and regularly go to my local pub and coffee shop. Since Borises slightly ambiguous advice to stay away from social venues the pub is half empty making it very easy to preserve the safe spacing with people. As someone at the higher end of the risk spectrum I follow the medical guide lines assiduously hand washing not touching etc. By contrast when I go to the supermarkets they are absolutely heaving with people. My worry is that if you shut down all pubs and restaurants all the people that used them for their food and drink will have to come to the already crowded supermarkets making them even more potentially hazardous.
My other concern is that a lockdown will wipe out all the smaller independent shops bars restaurants cafes leaving us only with supermarkets macdonalds and big chains and a load of unemployed workers to add to the economic meltdown.
The real stupid thing is that south korea have been able to squash the virus by massive testing and no lockdown and businesses keep running and yet we in the west cant because we dont appear to have enough testing capability in spite of our massive wealth. I could go on but I wont.
And Werther none of us have to be prats you prat(only joking) OUFC

what you write is correct but the supermarket is normal an eesential place to go and buy your food, the problem is people have gone crazy and continued societies selfish attitude as it's me me me i'm alright jack.. We have people complaining that football Horse Racing and other sports events should have remained open but the whole point is the more that people are out there the higher the risk and we are trying to contain this horrible virus to try and protect every single one of us.
Much of the problem has indeed been mixed and ambiguous messages, one day we were told do not go out even to buy food and then supermarkets are sending emails advising to go to the store rather than online
As i mentioned yesterday i was told Lockdown was imminent, as of yet it has not happened but if people do not listen to advice given and continue to decide to do as they normal do or wish to do then the decision will have to be made for them and all of us.

Things have been brought through gradually as indeed @Essexyellows has said from the start, one would think that things like the tube where people are crammed together must be close to being next. A huge number of people are going to be affected by this and lose their income and the thing to keep in mind is that if everyone listens to the advice given then most of us will come out of it alive and well but you wont be able to go to the pub, your favorite restaurant, watch your football team or try to find the winner at Royal Ascot etc if you're not..in real terms it's just a minor temporary inconvenience.

Dear Werther and Horseman I appreciate we all have different opinions about this unprecedented global threat.
I would like to make a couple of points about the probable lockdown.
I live in south london and regularly go to my local pub and coffee shop. Since Borises slightly ambiguous advice to stay away from social venues the pub is half empty making it very easy to preserve the safe spacing with people. As someone at the higher end of the risk spectrum I follow the medical guide lines assiduously hand washing not touching etc. By contrast when I go to the supermarkets they are absolutely heaving with people. My worry is that if you shut down all pubs and restaurants all the people that used them for their food and drink will have to come to the already crowded supermarkets making them even more potentially hazardous.
My other concern is that a lockdown will wipe out all the smaller independent shops bars restaurants cafes leaving us only with supermarkets macdonalds and big chains and a load of unemployed workers to add to the economic meltdown.
The real stupid thing is that south korea have been able to squash the virus by massive testing and no lockdown and businesses keep running and yet we in the west cant because we dont appear to have enough testing capability in spite of our massive wealth. I could go on but I wont.
And Werther none of us have to be prats you prat(only joking) OUFC
You’re right that a quiet pub or cafe is probably reasonably OK but going out somewhere crowded and boozy where people lose their inhibitions is crazy. Fill the fridge with beer if you can get it!

Greetings.... have ya missed me? Been self isolating! ? ?
I only got 7 days, Mrs EY got 14.... :ROFLMAO:

The Government asked us nicely not to go to Pubs etc... then they told us.
They have asked us nicely not to get into crowds etc....... we fecked that up as well.
I would expect something akin to the French/Spanish model to be in operation by midweek.
Over there you can`t go more than 2k from your home address, only 1 person in the household gets to go shopping every 3 days unless you are an essential service going to work.

Had Boris sent the message in a clear & direct manner then folk would accuse him of being dictatorial so he has to be "measured", give them enough lead to hang themselves then pull them back, its like dog training.

The simple message is stay at home. Don`t go out unless you must (food,prescriptions etc). Want a walk? Go round the block....don`t load the family in the car and feck off to the Lakes like its a Bank Holiday.

Stay safe, stay well folks.

Greetings.... have ya missed me? Been self isolating! ? ?
I only got 7 days, Mrs EY got 14.... :ROFLMAO:

The Government asked us nicely not to go to Pubs etc... then they told us.
They have asked us nicely not to get into crowds etc....... we fecked that up as well.
I would expect something akin to the French/Spanish model to be in operation by midweek.
Over there you can`t go more than 2k from your home address, only 1 person in the household gets to go shopping every 3 days unless you are an essential service going to work.

Had Boris sent the message in a clear & direct manner then folk would accuse him of being dictatorial so he has to be "measured", give them enough lead to hang themselves then pull them back, its like dog training.

The simple message is stay at home. Don`t go out unless you must (food,prescriptions etc). Want a walk? Go round the block....don`t load the family in the car and feck off to the Lakes like its a Bank Holiday.

Stay safe, stay well folks.

Sorry, disagree on Johnson. He has been very up and down, as commented previously I was impressed with one press conference but he is getting more and more wishy washy. When we actually need somebody leading, he is going missing.

When he gives such mixed messages i.e. on Friday he said he was visiting his Mum for Mother's Day but on Sunday he said don't visit but Skype or call. That isn't giving rope or being measured, that is being contradictory and diluting the message being given out by his own scientists as he will of known the likely outcome of Saturday into Sunday in terms of Virus progression. Therefore, giving the selfish people an out.

Either Johnson needs to lead publically and be decisive, or let the Govt Scientists do it so a consistent message is relayed.

@Marked Ox we will probably disagree on Boris.

He "leaves it to the scientists" he`s shirking his duty folk will say.
He "Goes Stalin" and puts the Army on the streets he`s a dictator.

What he is doing is change management in a very complex and fast moving situation. :)

He may not be abundantly clear with his messages, but if he was people would just kick back or panic.

Its a bit like someone looking at the tide going out before the tsunami arrives....... some get transfixed, others don`t understand, some run for high ground.

He`s not doing bad IMHO.

What he is doing is change management in a very complex and fast moving situation. :)

He may not be abundantly clear with his messages, but if he was people would just kick back or panic.

Its a bit like someone looking at the tide going out before the tsunami arrives....... some get transfixed, others don`t understand, some run for high ground.

He`s not doing bad IMHO.
his (Bojo's) Dad disagrees ...he's applied to become French !

I would agree with @Essexyellows Boris has been there everyday and says what is necessary. When it comes to the science or medical stuff, he rightly defers to the experts on hand. He does get animated and does not always stick to the script but, he is clear in the message that we are a democratic country where it is not considered obligatory to order us about. We can but all hope that the message gets across to those who have deemed themselves invulnerable. Sadly, today will probably see more stringent controls enacted, all because some refuse to take advice.

Exempting Sadiq Khan from COBRA meetings up to the past week was petty party politics. Once we get beyond the current struggles Johnson will be more at home with the standard divisive politics rather than having to pretend being a statesman.

He`s not doing bad IMHO.

You're right we don't agree. ?

Weekend highlight for me was Sadiq Khan on the Andrew Marr show with two kids in a house in the background waving at the camera, and then they upgraded to using teddy bears and pikachu. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

So is it clear enough now? :)

This will be tightened up by the weekend once all the pieces are in place.

Fair play to Boris last night, if you missed the message then there is no hope for you.

So is it clear enough now? :)

This will be tightened up by the weekend once all the pieces are in place.

Fair play to Boris last night, if you missed the message then there is no hope for you.

Clear as mud, with some of the "essential" shops that are open.

Back
Top Bottom