Could three at the back be the answer to the injury crisis?

IsleofWightYellow

We almost seemed to switch to 3 at the back for a while against Shrewsbury and it got me thinking - could it work while we have a shortage of central midfielders/general players? Say if we played something like this against MK Dons:

Archer
Dickie Mousinho Moore
Gorrin
Cadden Henry Sykes Ruffels
Fosu
Taylor
Both Moore and especially Dickie like to bring the ball out from the back. This would allow them to do it - Gorrin would drop back to make a two with Mousinho when they went forwards. Cadden likes to get forward and stay high and wide anyway, so that would work. My only worry would be Fosu as I think he’s better coming in from the left flank than he is centrally, but he could have a free role, and given that Ruffels doesn’t get forward quite as much, Fosu could naturally drift wide left anyway.

Just a thought before anyone gets too angry!

We do have some younger assets who are midfielders, and KR is not averse to playing youngsters with potential .... U23s Lofthouse ( farmed out on loan to City- scored on sat btw), James (also punted out on loan) are two that come to mind... also at U18 level, Sole is seriously impressive, as is Goodrham, assuming they dont end tomorrows fa youth cup clash v Maidenhead on the treatment table too - Maidenhead are known to be thuggish and very physical, if their first team are any indication

We do have some younger assets who are midfielders, and KR is not averse to playing youngsters with potential .... U23s Lofthouse ( farmed out on loan to City- scored on sat btw), James (also punted out on loan) are two that come to mind... also at U18 level, Sole is seriously impressive, as is Goodrham, assuming they dont end tomorrows fa youth cup clash v Maidenhead on the treatment table too - Maidenhead are known to be thuggish and very physical, if their first team are any indication

There is a load of youth teamers that are progressing well - however throwing them in at this point probably isn't ideal.

Chambers-Parillon looks to be the one in the U18s at the minute who is standing out.

There is a load of youth teamers that are progressing well - however throwing them in at this point probably isn't ideal.

Chambers-Parillon looks to be the one in the U18s at the minute who is standing out.
he's certainly banging em in for U18s

We almost seemed to switch to 3 at the back for a while against Shrewsbury and it got me thinking - could it work while we have a shortage of central midfielders/general players? Say if we played something like this against MK Dons:

Archer
Dickie Mousinho Moore
Gorrin
Cadden Henry Sykes Ruffels
Fosu
Taylor
Both Moore and especially Dickie like to bring the ball out from the back. This would allow them to do it - Gorrin would drop back to make a two with Mousinho when they went forwards. Cadden likes to get forward and stay high and wide anyway, so that would work. My only worry would be Fosu as I think he’s better coming in from the left flank than he is centrally, but he could have a free role, and given that Ruffels doesn’t get forward quite as much, Fosu could naturally drift wide left anyway.

Just a thought before anyone gets too angry!
Henry is unlikely to be fit on Saturday?

I posted elsewhere that a back 3 would help in our current availability predicament. Imoore is too good to leave out in these circumstances and adds to set piece success at both ends. It may mean Fosu slotting into a midfield 3 with Mackie up front with Matty T. That is assuming Henry is out and Cam, Shandon and Woodburn are still out. Let us hope at least 2 of those 4 are back for Wycombe and Lincoln.

No, in my view. I think it's a waste of a player. We would have 3 centre backs and a holding midfielder but would still be reliant on the wing backs getting back to defend.

We would be better sticking to the system that has worked pretty well to date with a back four, but with Long at right back. Gorrin holding with Cadden, Sykes and Fosu across the middle, and then Mackie and Taylor upfront. We would be a little weak through the middle, but Mackie could player a little deeper to bolster this.

This would allow Cadden and Fosu to play at pace with the reassurance that we've got cover behind them if we lose possession.

Happy with that Scotchers. We are going to be weak through the middle whatever line up is chosen it seems

Does Mousinho have the legs to play as the holding midfielder and bring Moore in. Perhaps occasionally...

Does Mousinho have the legs to play as the holding midfielder and bring Moore in. Perhaps occasionally...

I'd think so - but we already have an outstanding holding midfielder in Gorrin......a brilliant destructive & KISS player, but not one that's really suited to playing a more creative role. Put Mousinho alonside him and we'd have a great chance of keeping a clean sheet. But not much of an attack.

I think Scotchegg has probably outlined our best route through the current crisis. Although if one of the more creative midfielders in the youth teams is really impressing - with a fully fit and outstanding defense + Gorrin behind them, this wouldn't be the worst time to give them a shot.

Back
Top Bottom