Local News Corridor B chosen for the Oxford to Cambridge Expressway.

Similar white elephant project as hs2?

I don't think so in this case as it will open up areas for development of technology, biochemical etc companies that already develop out of Cambridge and Oxford. Of course, MK is already doing well and will develop further with these links.

non 'Blue' politicians, hippies, tree huggers, activists etc all oppose corridor B

Me, I cant see what the necessity is to 'join' with the splitters of Cambridge ?
Lets not forget, some Oxford-based Academics, were so scared of the locals, after many town n gown altercations, that they upped sticks & went off to set up Cambridge University's following the Swindlestock tavern incident that led to 4 days of rioting in Oxford in the 1100's ... Quitters!!!!

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/1...act-to-cambridge-expressway-plan/?ref=mr&lp=1

non 'Blue' politicians, hippies, tree huggers, activists etc all oppose corridor B

Me, I cant see what the necessity is to 'join' with the splitters of Cambridge ?
Lets not forget, some Oxford-based Academics, were so scared of the locals, after many town n gown altercations, that they upped sticks & went off to set up Cambridge University's following the Swindlestock tavern incident that led to 4 days of rioting in Oxford in the 1100's ... Quitters!!!!

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/1...act-to-cambridge-expressway-plan/?ref=mr&lp=1

Not like you to hold a grudge Sarge ;)

And it was the 1300s. :rolleyes:

Swindlestock was mid-1300s.

Cambridge had already been founded about 150 years earlier though......
Supposedly after the Oxford townsfolk had hanged a couple of the scholars for a murder they probably hadn't committed.

I'd never thought the roads from Oxford to Cambridge were that bad or busy that an expressway was needed? Reopening a direct train line would be a bonus, but that one seems to have gotten forever bogged down in administrative hell.

Swindlestock was mid-1300s.

Cambridge had already been founded about 150 years earlier though......
Supposedly after the Oxford townsfolk had hanged a couple of the scholars for a murder they probably hadn't committed.

I'd never thought the roads from Oxford to Cambridge were that bad or busy that an expressway was needed? Reopening a direct train line would be a bonus, but that one seems to have gotten forever bogged down in administrative hell.

The roads will be if they build the number of homes that some are claiming they will. :geek:

The government/local council cannot cope with the existing potholes the size of dustbin lids across the county let alone trying to maintain more roads.

The government/local council cannot cope with the existing potholes the size of dustbin lids across the county let alone trying to maintain more roads.

Oxfordshire CC are trying to raise financing of about £100m (iirc) to try to reduce some of the pothole crisis in Oxon. Again I vaguely remember an article in Public Finance that Councils are so underfunded for road budgets that across the Country, Councils would need £4bn+ just to get all roads back to an adequate level.

I believe the Expressway would be maintained by the Highways Agency rather than Oxfordshire CC anyway.

The Govt do have emergency funding for pot holes but you have apply for it and make a strong case. My local council are adept at applying and getting the funding each year.

The Govt do have emergency funding for pot holes but you have apply for it and make a strong case. My local council are adept at applying and getting the funding each year.

Yes, I believe Oxfordshire CC got some of those funds iirc. The Govt provide peanuts to what is actually needed and the decimation of Council budgets under austerity has made things far, far worse.

Back
Top Bottom