General Contracts

gingerox

I was looking through the (long) list of players we have whose contracts are expiring at the end of the season; has anyone heard about any new deals we're working on? With the players expiring I'd probably:
Hall - Renew
Ricardinho - 1 year
Thomas - 1 year
Williamson - Release
Mehmeti - Probably renew
Nelson - Renew (have we got an option?)
Martin - 1 year if he keeps his form up
Rothwell - Renew
Shearer - Release
Tiendalli - Release
Roberts - Release
Agboola - Renew

Hopefully we get key players (Hall, Nelson, Rothwell, Thomas) signed quickly to avoid Dunkley scenario happening again.

I hope so too @gingerox ...though all getting pen to paper will do is partially ensure that our better players dont depart as free agents, and the club recoup some money

Given the mercenary state of football, with agents the real villains of the piece,(are football agents regulated? ...if they are, it's not enough IMO)... players ....and for that matter managers and coaches... contracts really aren't worth the paper they're written on

Player signs a contract (for say, 3 years), both the player and, by default, the agent, trouser a sizable signing on fee, then one season into that 3 year contract, agent starts placing stories in the media, whips up interest, from several clubs, bidding war ensues, player leaves, trousers another signing on fee, of course the agent has their slice of the pie. Then the process starts again.

Which keeps the agent's bank balance healthy, the player they represent may well go from playing regularly to (if lucky) bench warming.... oh well the extra cash from the signing on fee and increased wages pays for splinter removing! :cautious:

Contracts in football are pretty much not fit for purpose especially the way things have been allowed to degenerate,
weighted in favour of mercenary agents manipulations

Playing careers are relatively short, so maximising earning potential is understandable, however, I think the current situation allows agents far too much leeway

Last edited:
Surely Shearer should be renewed, who would be cover. He played well against Charlton. It would be madness to put Stevens as an understudy, he has no experience of league 1 football, and even the Oxford City mangar has said he has growing up to do, and that’s at conference south standard.
It smacks of people saying Roberts should be given another chance of playing at league 1 level.
Maybe when Stevens has the experience, but clearly not yet.

Surely Shearer should be renewed, who would be cover. He played well against Charlton. It would be madness to put Stevens as an understudy, he has no experience of league 1 football, and even the Oxford City mangar has said he has growing up to do, and that’s at conference south standard.
It smacks of people saying Roberts should be given another chance of playing at league 1 level.

As things stand I agree, and I'm very much in favour of blooding/playing our (own) youngsters.... that said there could be a plethora of eventualities arising in this transfer window....Eastwood to Barnsley (or another championship club), Woodman in on loan , or on a permanent deal,AND Eastwood stays? I think the dust from the January transfer window has to settle before a decision, either way, about dad-dancing Shearer is made contract wise

Fair enough, he will be 38 next season though and since we'd be relying on him to fill in if whoever is first choice were injured, would he be up to it?

Where has that one come from ???

Management at Oxford City have never said Stevens needs to “ grow up” if anything only the complete opposite, Remember he was in the match day squad for last 26 games for Utd in the league last season. The only reason he probably should not be on bench as back now is because he is 20 and being on loan and getting game time now is more important than bench warming ! Having spoken to a few City fans yesterday they are gutted he has been recalled but both said he should be playing higher up the football pyrimid

Last edited:
Simply quoting a friend, a city fan, regarding growing up. The manager I suppose is simply talking about his maturity, rather than age. He thinks a ome of the errors are the kind that with further experience, he hopefully will iron out.

Suppose it’s all about opinions, but just rang my mate as intrigued by what you say, he is at Marsh Lane at the moment for City game this afternoon and he just laughed and said “what mistakes” said only one he can recall was at St Albans when he was pinged for picking up ball on edge of box and video after showed Stevens was right and ball on line.

Agree young keepers are always a risk as there is a demand from management and fans for experience but it begs the question if a lad has the skill set how do they get experience unless blooded in game(s).

Worth also remembering the lad played against what was the form team in League 2 (Colchester Utd) in FA Cup and kept clean sheet and Notts County in round two and from what I saw did not look in any way out of his depth.

Suppose it’s all about opinions, but just rang my mate as intrigued by what you say, he is at Marsh Lane at the moment for City game this afternoon and he just laughed and said “what mistakes” said only one he can recall was at St Albans when he was pinged for picking up ball on edge of box and video after showed Stevens was right and ball on line.

Agree young keepers are always a risk as there is a demand from management and fans for experience but it begs the question if a lad has the skill set how do they get experience unless blooded in game(s).

Worth also remembering the lad played against what was the form team in League 2 (Colchester Utd) in FA Cup and kept clean sheet and Notts County in round two and from what I saw did not look in any way out of his depth.

Fully agree, that Colchester game he was phenomenal.
The decision Clotet will have to make if Eastwood does leave, is does he bring in a goalkeeper or does he have Stevens and Shearer fight it out for the top spot.
Personally I would like an experienced keeper in and Stevens back at city getting experience and Shearer no.2 until the end of the season.

Think I agree, what ever happens Stevens at this stage needs to be playing not sitting on bench after doing it for half of last season benefits nobody in future either Utd or the lad himself. Think an opportunity at a conference premier side for rest of season would be great where he would most likely have to fight it out with a experienced keeper for No1 slot in quick time.

As to keepers for rest of season think if club lose Eastwood another keeper will be brought in and Shearer will remain back up at least till end of season.

Think I agree, what ever happens Stevens at this stage needs to be playing not sitting on bench after doing it for half of last season benefits nobody in future either Utd or the lad himself. Think an opportunity at a conference premier side for rest of season would be great where he would most likely have to fight it out with a experienced keeper for No1 slot in quick time.

As to keepers for rest of season think if club lose Eastwood another keeper will be brought in and Shearer will remain back up at least till end of season.

In my view he needs to go somewhere who needs a keeper rather than battle it out with an established keeper. Being a keeper is different in that you can't come on for ten minutes and show what you can do, if there is an experienced keeper already established he would likely just sit on the bench.

I hope so too @gingerox ...though all getting pen to paper will do is partially ensure that our better players dont depart as free agents, and the club recoup some money

Given the mercenary state of football, with agents the real villains of the piece,(are football agents regulated? ...if they are, it's not enough IMO)... players ....and for that matter managers and coaches... contracts really aren't worth the paper they're written on

Player signs a contract (for say, 3 years), both the player and, by default, the agent, trouser a sizable signing on fee, then one season into that 3 year contract, agent starts placing stories in the media, whips up interest, from several clubs, bidding war ensues, player leaves, trousers another signing on fee, of course the agent has their slice of the pie. Then the process starts again.

Which keeps the agent's bank balance healthy, the player they represent may well go from playing regularly to (if lucky) bench warming.... oh well the extra cash from the signing on fee and increased wages pays for splinter removing! :cautious:

Contracts in football are pretty much not fit for purpose especially the way things have been allowed to degenerate,
weighted in favour of mercenary agents manipulations

Playing careers are relatively short, so maximising earning potential is understandable, however, I think the current situation allows agents far too much leeway
I dont 100% agree. Agents are needed. If not young players, or any player for that matter, will get "turned over" by the sharp business brain who owns the football club AKA 80-90's. The Victorian mills owners made a fortune off the back of the working man. Agents stop his happening to the modern day footballer and of course they take their cut. Agents used to be regulated by the FA, needing to pass a tough legal exam but that was scrapped few years ago. I dont know why.

I dont 100% agree. Agents are needed. If not young players, or any player for that matter, will get "turned over" by the sharp business brain who owns the football club AKA 80-90's. The Victorian mills owners made a fortune off the back of the working man. Agents stop his happening to the modern day footballer and of course they take their cut. Agents used to be regulated by the FA, needing to pass a tough legal exam but that was scrapped few years ago. I dont know why.
thats where the problem lays ..... FA suits scrapping the legal exam and regulation...leaving the mr (mrs & Ms) 25% takers to literally take the P**s (as well as their 25% cut) these days

yes, regulated agents ARE necessary, unregulated they are a menace to football, especially lower league football IMO

Back
Top Bottom