General Consortium Takeover - News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top ten institutional landowners.

The Oxbridge Universities class as "private" although Universities in England and Wales own more than 52,000 ha of property and developable land between them.
Oxford and Cambridge universities are by far the largest landowners, holding a combined 41,580 acres, almost 80% of all university-owned land.
1627158958916.png

I think you will find the Queen actually owns everything, us plebs are allowed to play until she decides we can't

Meant to type about rather than shout.

Point being it doesn't look like she'll lead a royal land-grab.
And to be accurate, "she" doesn't, in the strictest terms, own the land. It's held by the Crown Estates. But, yes with a portfolio of approx. 6.6 billion acres, worldwide, she isn't doing too badly.
You don't suppose, if we ask nicely, that she would consider letting us have a parcel of land? no?

I just can't see the local authorities ever agreeing to a new stadium when one was only opened 20 years ago.

It'll be interesting if there is an announcement in a couple of weeks (I doubt it personally, it all completed weeks ago as per companies house and the initial fanfare in March was a mistake) if they mention anything about a stadium as they haven't yet and its all been fan speculation.

I understand why people say big hitters won't get involved without a stadium/development opportunity being part of but wealthy people do own football clubs as a status symbol. That said, these guys do seem more credible than the spivs and speculators recently involved with Charlton and Derby for example.

I think you will find the Queen actually owns everything, us plebs are allowed to play until she decides we can't
The Crown, as head of state, owns the superior interest in all land in England; Wales and Northern Ireland. In most cases this is usually irrelevant but can become relevant if a freehold property becomes ownerless. The Church Commissioners and Universities have substantial freehold land holdings as do the landed gentry such as the Duke of Westminster. The only reason we have a system of leasehold tenure is to keep all these landed institutions and grand noble families landed. Every 100 years or so they get it back again and become even richer. It's a scandal.

I just can't see the local authorities ever agreeing to a new stadium when one was only opened 20 years ago.

It'll be interesting if there is an announcement in a couple of weeks (I doubt it personally, it all completed weeks ago as per companies house and the initial fanfare in March was a mistake) if they mention anything about a stadium as they haven't yet and its all been fan speculation.

I understand why people say big hitters won't get involved without a stadium/development opportunity being part of but wealthy people do own football clubs as a status symbol. That said, these guys do seem more credible than the spivs and speculators recently involved with Charlton and Derby for example.
Don't our new Indonesia owners have substantial interests in TV and media back home? Football is big in the far east and they may well see owning a premiership football club (which they could afford to make us) in a world reknowned city might be just as big a money spinner for those interests as property development, although I accept that they would probably want that too. However, a new stadium may not be the immediate priority.

I really can't see why you would think that.
Reading between the lines (and even what the club have said) it seems pretty clear that the club have been looking for some time at a new stadium
Mind you I wondered about that, when it comes to planning permission with the comment “ you’ve got a stadium that is just over 20 years, so there isn’t a great need for a new stadium “

You missed all the posts about the local plans put in place by local authorities then? There is an existing requirement for community sports facilities. OUFC is already running the Oxford Sports Park (home to the training ground) at the behest of Oxford City. The various county authorities will be delighted if a very rich benefactor comes along and builds them a brand new sports arena with all the bells and whistles. OUFC then run that facility for the benefit of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom