General Consortium Takeover - News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at the Luton’s success the other day. Have they had an injection of cash from owners? Or has it been down to a really well run club?
Didn't they also sell Julian James ? To Leicester for 8/9 million when they got promoted to the Champ ....probably with TV revenue etc they had a 20 million cash injection which they obviously spent wisely .
Danny Hylton still on the bench most weeks so seem to have kept a core of so called league one players as well.

Luton’s budget is damn near relegation levels - comfortably bottom 4/5. Their transfers this season were all freebies or small fees paid for players almost exclusively from lower divisions and Scotland. They’ve been punching well above their weight every time they aren’t in a relegation battle, but to be in the playoffs is absurdity.

Some people may dislike them but they are a terrific example of what happens when a football club refuses to settle. They were down in the Conference for even longer than we were, and they’re owned by the same people now as they were back then. They’ve even got a smaller and shittier stadium than the one we play in, somehow.

Fair play to them.

Luton’s budget is damn near relegation levels - comfortably bottom 4/5. Their transfers this season were all freebies or small fees paid for players almost exclusively from lower divisions and Scotland. They’ve been punching well above their weight every time they aren’t in a relegation battle, but to be in the playoffs is absurdity.

Some people may dislike them but they are a terrific example of what happens when a football club refuses to settle. They were down in the Conference for even longer than we were, and they’re owned by the same people now as they were back then. They’ve even got a smaller and shittier stadium than the one we play in, somehow.

Fair play to them.
I can’t stand them but you’ve got to admire them.

Fair play to them.

Yeah, but we lured Simon Heslop, Asa Hall and Tom Craddock away from them, so who’s the REAL winners here, huh?

Any club anywhere wants promotion.
More revenue
Bigger Attendance
More season tickets sold
Better sponsorship deals

Seven years ago Luton were non league, they are now in the playoffs to get to the top tier
Do you think their Board thought seven years ago, hmmm don’t want promotion it could cost us ?
You’re correct and we’ve been 12 years out of the conference and still can’t get out of L1.
I think that’s 6 managers which includes Faz since we’ve got back into the league. I think that’s 4 managers whilst in L1.
Something isn’t right, is the money been available? Players not up to the task or managers not able.
Let’s hope someone can look at how they’ve achieved the playoffs and the likes of Blackpool and Coventry have managed to hold their own.
Work out those answers and we would be fine in the championship.

You’re correct and we’ve been 12 years out of the conference and still can’t get out of L1.
I think that’s 6 managers which includes Faz since we’ve got back into the league. I think that’s 4 managers whilst in L1.
Something isn’t right, is the money been available? Players not up to the task or managers not able.
Let’s hope someone can look at how they’ve achieved the playoffs and the likes of Blackpool and Coventry have managed to hold their own.
Work out those answers and we would be fine in the championship.
Ah Bazzer
And there it is in a nutshell,not sure Cov or Blackpool had really high budgets. Cov were playing at St Andrew’s as well.
They both had a lot of loan players who performed well for them and as I recall both had powerful looking players.
Blackpool got off to a really poor start until they got all their players in at the end of August,in fact I think they were bottom,but for that they would have won the league.
Both had good young managers but most of all they had balanced squads because when players got injured they had replacements for them and that is what KR needs to work out. In all honesty how could we win the league with a threadbare defence?
A lot of thought needs to go into next years squad because if we have another summer window like last year we will not be going up.

They’ve done everything it’s reasonable to do. Not getting the desired return on the money is not the same as not spending it in the first place.

The owners are clearly out for promotion and everything they’ve done over the last year backs it up.
Not saying they’re ultimately not wanting promotion, but like Scotchegg said, they may not have gone for the high profile players they could obviously go for and I questioned whether that’s based on whether we get the go ahead or not re building the new stadium.

Any club anywhere wants promotion.
More revenue
Bigger Attendance
More season tickets sold
Better sponsorship deals

Seven years ago Luton were non league, they are now in the playoffs to get to the top tier
Do you think their Board thought seven years ago, hmmm don’t want promotion it could cost us ?
And bigger player wages!

Ah Bazzer
And there it is in a nutshell,not sure Cov or Blackpool had really high budgets. Cov were playing at St Andrew’s as well.
They both had a lot of loan players who performed well for them and as I recall both had powerful looking players.
Blackpool got off to a really poor start until they got all their players in at the end of August,in fact I think they were bottom,but for that they would have won the league.
Both had good young managers but most of all they had balanced squads because when players got injured they had replacements for them and that is what KR needs to work out. In all honesty how could we win the league with a threadbare defence?
A lot of thought needs to go into next years squad because if we have another summer window like last year we will not be going up.
You need a squad of athletic, strong, passionate players and not a squad that carried 5 or 6+ injury prone weak players.

I have said this before on many occasions that the area where Pressed Steel used to play which is owned by BMW would be worth looking at
Any planning permission would nodded through because it’s on a brownfield site. The railway runs right next to it
. I’m sure an agreement could be made with BMW regarding parking
From memory, wasn't the plan that the factory would be expanding over the sports ground?

From memory, wasn't the plan that the factory would be expanding over the sports ground?

Yes. But brexit and economic decline has halted it and maybe even been scrapped all together.

Ah Bazzer
But Karl shouldn't apparently:unsure:

Yes. But brexit and economic decline has halted it and maybe even been scrapped all together.
But I doubt they will want to completely turn off the possibility in future by having something else built there.

But I doubt they will want to completely turn off the possibility in future by having something else built there.

Maybe, but we should atleast ask the question. Another option could be to build on the carpark (used as a motorcycle training facility) next to Cowley tesco, that backs onto sandy Lane sports ground. We could develop both the car park and the sports ground into something similar to the plan of Stratfield Brake but on a smaller scale.

Maybe, but we should atleast ask the question. Another option could be to build on the carpark (used as a motorcycle training facility) next to Cowley tesco, that backs onto sandy Lane sports ground. We could develop both the car park and the sports ground into something similar to the plan of Stratfield Brake but on a smaller scale.
That was one of the previously considered sites. Can't remember exactly why was discounted. though Tesco certainly objected.
The smaller scale part would limit the additional revenue forming parts of the development which might make it less attractive to the board.

That was one of the previously considered sites. Can't remember exactly why was discounted. though Tesco certainly objected.
The smaller scale part would limit the additional revenue forming parts of the development which might make it less attractive to the board.

I still think we need a back up site, the thought of if Stratfield Brake gets refused means we may end up going bust doesn't sit right with me.

I still think we need a back up site, the thought of if Stratfield Brake gets refused means we may end up going bust doesn't sit right with me.
The club have spent years on this.
Stratford Brake has clearly been decided as the best site ( maybe the only real option for an 18k stadium?)
I think that we have to trust the owners on this. Everything needs to be done to make it work.

Didn't they also sell Julian James ? To Leicester for 8/9 million when they got promoted to the Champ ....probably with TV revenue etc they had a 20 million cash injection which they obviously spent wisely .
Danny Hylton still on the bench most weeks so seem to have kept a core of so called league one players as well.
James Justin and Jack Stacey were Luton’s expansive fullbacks in 2018-19.

Think Julian James did play for Luton in around 1993!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom