General Consortium Takeover - News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't suggesting a change of landlord would happen at the Kassam Stadium (don't you start behaving in a churlish way using the term Grenoble Road - like it or not Colin, it's called The Kassam Stadium) but used examples to highlight what change can do. I used the most recent examples of Newcastle and Swindon. The thread had started to talk about lack of footfall and failing Ozone businesses (inc Swimming). My point.............would be if someone different to FK ran the place, it would thrive.

I am well aware of the initial one-man crusade from within the football club to do everything possible to leave the Kassam Stadium. To be honest, I couldn't give a s**t really if we move or not but I remain interested in the multiple agendas at play.

And I still wait for anyone, including the vast number of people who have been confided in about our move away, how much Firoka have charged our football club in rent over the last 18 months.

Regarding you last point, I think you know the answer so why not post it?

The issue regarding the moving away from the Grenoble Road Kassam Stadium (I'm not triggered by either!) is very simple and works for both the club and the board of investors.

Football costs money. Very very few clubs turn over regular profit. We have done our best with the recruitment and sales model that we have, but that only reduces losses. The only way that you can cover the cost of owning a football club is through supplementary venue sources outside of the 30 odd home games a season. So using the stadium for additional sports or concerts helps, having conference facilities etc. But they only go so far. The big winners are hotel and leisure facilities, retail units, bars, restaurants and entertainment like escape rooms, crazy golf etc. Put all of that together on a purpose built and modern site and there's a lot of money to be made. Could that happen at the GRKS? Yes, but at a far greater cost than purchasing elsewhere.

So, what are the benefits to the club? Firstly, the club get a state if the art, purpose built stadium that doesn't resemble derelict Eastern European grounds from the 70's. It could include innovative and modern improvements, such as 4 sides, heating and toilet facilities!! And best of all, the club will likely have a long term (50 year?) lease agreement with a nominal peppercorn rent allowing them to maximise all match day revenue to be reinvested into the club which will significantly reduces losses or could help us become one of the few sustainably run clubs.

The board get the property deal they want. The club get control over their future for generations to come. And the fans get something new that benefits the wider community too.

One club. One community. One agenda.

I wasn't suggesting a change of landlord would happen at the Kassam Stadium (don't you start behaving in a churlish way using the term Grenoble Road - like it or not Colin, it's called The Kassam Stadium) but used examples to highlight what change can do. I used the most recent examples of Newcastle and Swindon. The thread had started to talk about lack of footfall and failing Ozone businesses (inc Swimming). My point.............would be if someone different to FK ran the place, it would thrive.

I am well aware of the initial one-man crusade from within the football club to do everything possible to leave the Kassam Stadium. To be honest, I couldn't give a s**t really if we move or not but I remain interested in the multiple agendas at play.

And I still wait for anyone, including the vast number of people who have been confided in about our move away, how much Firoka have charged our football club in rent over the last 18 months.
I disagree that the place would thrive if somebody other than Kassam ran the place. I agree that he is hardly good for any place (making money at any cost and not worrying about customers). I am not sure that in the current climate it is a place where businesses would thrive.
Are you sure that there are a vast amount of people who have been confided in a move away? There are what 3 on here. Are there a vast amount of other people?

Quite surprised that anyone is happy to remain at the current ground... it being a soulless, open, windblown, badly designed (high roofs, too far from the pitch etc) blocks of bland concrete that lose all sound and atmosphere, and smells... if a possible option is a modern, well designed stadium that could address all the above.

Quite surprised that anyone is happy to remain at the current ground... it being a soulless, open, windblown, badly designed (high roofs, too far from the pitch etc) blocks of bland concrete that lose all sound and atmosphere, and smells... if a possible option is a modern, well designed stadium that could address all the above.

If it was finished, expanded or rebuilt then it also resolves those issues - barring the aroma, that must be a constant for the residents of those parts. "Ah the wind is from the West so the Sandford Sniff is strong"

If it was finished, expanded or rebuilt then it also resolves those issues - barring the aroma, that must be a constant for the residents of those parts. "Ah the wind is from the West so the Sandford Sniff is strong"
Rebuilt from the ground up, then maybe.

But that, obviously, wouldn't be great for any investors.

I referred to it as Grenoble Rd, as a neutral moniker, due to your suggestion of an alternative owner. Nothing churlish about it, so you're off the mark there. I don't like being reminded of our journey since Kassam turned up at our club every time I hear the stadium name in the media though. It's not been a good journey, even you must see that.

In comparison to a new stadium and fresh start the Kassam Stadium (happy now???!!!) would never thrive. It would get a slight improvement if he went, but nothing like the uplift of a well planned, well funded, new stadium. It's been poor since we've been there, it's never felt like home, and the relationship between it and many of our fans (and potential fans) is now broken beyond repair, as evidenced by the many negative comments on this and other threads.

You're also way off if you think moving to a new stadium is a "one man crusade." It's way more than that and you sound like the churlish one when you say things like that Simon.

Lastly, I don't know if you're implying that Kassam has been benevolent and reduced the club's rent over the last 18 months, or if you're genuinely asking the question with no agenda? If it's the former then I can tell you that he has done no such thing.

Cheaper than a new build
The Financial argument for a new stadium is very clear.
With a new stadium the owners (who are used to making money from such projects) make money from the surrounding leisure facilities. This allows them to give the club ( and Council) a good deal.
Kassam did this but pocketed all of the profit for himself and declined to assist the club in any way.
There is no way that the current owners will buy the stadium from Kassam and spend £millions on it ( with virtually zero chance if getting a return)
So from the owners perspective no it can't be seem as simply cheaper than a new build ( also on the basis that presumably the nice Mr Kassam will be looking at the land the stadium is built as being of decent value that he will bevsbke to pocket)

Surely this all makes sense? My sense is that if we can't get a new stadium the owners will walk.

I am really interested as to the people who think we will stay at the Kassam think it will work financially,

I can see there being virtually no chance that the new owners will stay at the Kassam.

If I laid one brick for every time I said that we're not staying at the Kassam, we would've had a new bloody stadium already.

It's like arguing with an actor, no matter what we say, they come back with the same nonsensical lines!

WE ARE NOT STAYING AT THE KASSAM!!!

Never the plan, never going to be the plan. Never. Never. Never!

And while we're at it, we're not moving to Bicester, the training ground, timbuktu, ground sharing with Coventry, or pretty much every other random idea that resurfaces ever hundred posts or so.

I know everyone is desperate for news, Christ, I'm dreaming of the moment all of this gets put to bed and we start 1000 posts on seat colours or where the Karl Robinson statue will go at the new ground!! But soon everything will be very clear and we can kiss goodbye to Mr Kassam once and for f*****g all!!!

I'm off for a lie down in a darkened room!!!

Last edited:
If I lay one brick for every time I said that we're not staying at the Kassam, we would've had a new bloody stadium already.

It's like arguing with an actor, no matter what we say, they come back with the same nonsensical lines!

WE ARE NOT STAYING AT THE KASSAM!!!

Never the plan, never going to be the plan. Never. Never. Never!

And while we're at it, we're not moving to Bicester, the training ground, timbuktu, ground sharing with Coventry, or pretty much every other random idea that resurfaces ever hundred posts or so.

I know everyone is desperate for news, Christ, I'm dreaming of the moment all of this gets put to bed and we start 1000 posts on seat colours or where the Karl Robinson statue will go at the new ground!! But soon everything will be very clear and we can kiss goodbye to Mr Kassam once and for f*****g all!!!

I'm off for a lie down in a darkened room!!!
This. 1000%. I feel your pain!!!

The Financial argument for a new stadium is very clear.
With a new stadium the owners (who are used to making money from such projects) make money from the surrounding leisure facilities. This allows them to give the club ( and Council) a good deal.
Kassam did this but pocketed all of the profit for himself and declined to assist the club in any way.
There is no way that the current owners will buy the stadium from Kassam and spend £millions on it ( with virtually zero chance if getting a return)
So from the owners perspective no it can't be seem as simply cheaper than a new build ( also on the basis that presumably the nice Mr Kassam will be looking at the land the stadium is built as being of decent value that he will bevsbke to pocket)

Surely this all makes sense? My sense is that if we can't get a new stadium the owners will walk.

I am really interested as to the people who think we will stay at the Kassam think it will work financially,

I can see there being virtually no chance that the new owners will stay at the Kassam.
I understand what you’re saying but I thought there was something about the land was for sport and leisure.
Just was wondering if the bought the whole shabang Ozone ,Stadium and the holiday inn/express or whatever it is and redeveloped the whole site with a large community on one side ( BBLEYS) and the new 3,000 housing development on the other side which inevitably will end being built on at a later stage, just a thought and with nothing concrete ( so to speak ) about the plans for a new sports/leisure and retail development. I know a new ground is in the offering but it’s exact sure can’t be known ( and yes Stratfield break ) has been mentioned but rhe infrastructure required to attain those facilities will be a very large financial cost. Just saying.

I think we just need to be patient. We will all tie ourselves in knots if we keep saying when/where/how/what cost. It's perfectly clear what will happen. Just have to wait for that 'breaking news' to pop up on our phones as news of a press conference is announced.

I think we just need to be patient. We will all tie ourselves in knots if we keep saying when/where/how/what cost. It's perfectly clear what will happen. Just have to wait for that 'breaking news' to pop up on our phones as news of a press conference is announced.
I have the Iphone12 pro so I will suppose I will have an I phone 15 pro by the time that happens

Kassam will have bought the rights for iPhones by then, the contract cost will have gone through the roof with a much reduced/poor service. Plus you won't be allowed to use it between 12 and 5pm on weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom