Considering moving to Non League ground

No non-league grounds that i can think of in the county that would be suitable without significant time and money.

So we'd be looking at Wycombe, Northampton, Reading, MK etc.

I wonder if this is just old news, from a year or two back. It seems a bit random.

Ground share with Brentford!

Madejski would be my preferred option. We seem to play better in nice surroundings.
Also I thought I saw Charlie M bang around a figure of £10M as a sweetner from Kassam for OUFC to move as long as he got the houses.

Also nice to see Man City sold out in record time, just shows there is an appetite for big clubs and big games (although plenty of plastics), make sure they build a big enough stadium minimum of 20K

Last edited:
Wycombe or Reading would be the most likely temporary solutions, but they wouldn't let us share without substantial rent (neither of them like us!), as a match going fan I'd probably prefer Reading for transport reasons and Wycombe for atmosphere reasons.

Negotiating a reduced rent at the Kastad wouldn't solve the matchday income (catering etc), conference facilities, not being able to train on the pitch etc etc.

The current situation is rather messy and the lease expiry date is fast approaching. Hopefully priority topic at the forum and for Tiger behind the scenes right now!

Best piece of advice is that whoever, Tiger has left in charge of this, let's suggest its middle-management, either leaves 'any' baggage and preconceptions at the door and has sensible conversations with Firoka (whether that be Michael Doyle, Firoka staff or Firoz) OR........passes it onto someone who can deal with it. If I were in the Thai's shoes, I'd be taking full ownership of this because they have a relatively clear unprejudiced mind on it.

Having got to know Firoz via OXVOX, he's actually not that bad to deal with.

However, if you have people who want to continue a crusade (let's include Daryl in that - and the long running arbitration) then nothing will happen, the situation will get worse and we can all have silly talk about moving Oxford United to some poxy non-league ground or alike - which in turn, will kill the football club.

Some people need their head's banging together. How disappointing to see the most respected football journalist in the UK (Henry Winter) miraculously stumble across the 'rent debate' and 'Kassam stand-off' - shame on the person who leaked it. After all, I am sure Henry Winter and The Times have far better stories to cover.........than that of a league one club.

It really makes you wonder what some people's agenda's are. If people can't sort it, Tiger, Firoz and Co need to take control of it & it'll get sorted.

Best piece of advice is that whoever, Tiger has left in charge of this, let's suggest its middle-management, either leaves 'any' baggage and preconceptions at the door and has sensible conversations with Firoka (whether that be Michael Doyle, Firoka staff or Firoz) OR........passes it onto someone who can deal with it. If I were in the Thai's shoes, I'd be taking full ownership of this because they have a relatively clear unprejudiced mind on it.

However, if you have people who want to continue a crusade (let's include Daryl in that - and the long running arbitration) then nothing will happen, the situation will get worse and we can all have silly talk about moving Oxford United to some poxy non-league ground or alike - which in turn, will kill the football club.

Some people need their head's banging together. How disappointing to see the most respected football journalist in the UK (Henry Winter) miraculously stumble across the 'rent debate' and 'Kassam stand-off' - shame on the person who leaked it. After all, I am sure Henry Winter and The Times have far better stories to cover.........than that of a league one club.

It really makes you wonder what some people's agenda's are. If people can't sort it, Tiger, Firoz and Co need to take control of it & it'll get sorted.

Sure others tried the cap on hand approach to the slum landlord in the past and it got them where ?

I am not daft and work within the corporate world and yes charging in giving it the big one will not help either.

The slum landlord knows he holds all the cards, a firm offer for the ground or we have no choice but to leave are the options as far as I can see.

Another 25 year lease under whatever terms is no use,;look at the ground in closer detail. I doubt in its current state it has another 25 years in it!

Last edited:
Wycombe or Reading would be the most likely temporary solutions, but they wouldn't let us share without substantial rent (neither of them like us!), as a match going fan I'd probably prefer Reading for transport reasons and Wycombe for atmosphere reasons.

Negotiating a reduced rent at the Kastad wouldn't solve the matchday income (catering etc), conference facilities, not being able to train on the pitch etc etc.

The current situation is rather messy and the lease expiry date is fast approaching. Hopefully priority topic at the forum and for Tiger behind the scenes right now!
When is the current lease up?

shame on the person who leaked it.

Maybe they’re just pissed off like most of us

You were closer to this than me Simon but FK not too difficult to deal with. Really?
For a period of time my understanding is that DE did everything to keep FK on side. Wasn't he invited to Wembley by the club relatively recently?
I would suggest that FK may talk a good game at times but ultimately when push comes to shove he has done nothing. Presumably DE, IL and of course Oxvox have spent an awful lot of time trying to find a solution.Nothing positive has ever happened.
I am sure that if FK isn't that bad to deal with, in 17 years a solution would have been found?
You are obviously more optimistic than I am. I see no evidence of this ever being resolved at the current stadium. I would love to be proved wrong.

You were closer to this than me Simon but FK not too difficult to deal with. Really?
For a period of time my understanding is that DE did everything to keep FK on side. Wasn't he invited to Wembley by the club relatively recently?
I would suggest that FK may talk a good game at times but ultimately when push comes to shove he has done nothing. Presumably DE, IL and of course Oxvox have spent an awful lot of time trying to find a solution.Nothing positive has ever happened.
I am sure that if FK isn't that bad to deal with, in 17 years a solution would have been found?
You are obviously more optimistic than I am. I see no evidence of this ever being resolved at the current stadium. I would love to be proved wrong.

All Kassam does is try to look good having meetings with Chairman, Oxvox, but for him it’s just show he has no intention of helping OUFC.

What is the actual dispute which has gone to arbitration between Firoka and the club and why is it taking so long ?

Feels like it’s been going on for many, many months.

What is the actual dispute which has gone to arbitration between Firoka and the club and why is it taking so long ?

Feels like it’s been going on for many, many months.
FK takes a service charge (Which had quite a significant amount) each year.
My understanding is that The club are arguing that FK is not doing what he should in order to receive such money. So he is not doing what he should be contractually.
I am a little surprised that people are having go at DE for this. I suspect that they have tried to resolve the issue
Nobody can doubt that FK is not keeping the Stadium in a reasonable state. I guess that the question is what does the contract say. I suspect that there are a few grey areas and Mr Kassam is pushing things to the limit as usual....
Agree that it has seemed to have gone on for some time.

Iam sure DE did try to relsove this and he did have to relay the pitch twice out of his own pocket etc but he was the chairman who stopped paying it and fell out with Firoz you cant just stop paying your council tax because your unhappy with bin collections potholes and public services can you and
Its not DE whos left in arbitration with the situation but its the club hate to think what the bill stands at now

Iam sure DE did try to relsove this and he did have to relay the pitch twice out of his own pocket etc but he was the chairman who stopped paying it and fell out with Firoz you cant just stop paying your council tax because your unhappy with bin collections potholes and public services can you and
Its not DE whos left in arbitration with the situation but its the club hate to think what the bill stands at now
No but you can go to arbitration if the Landlord is not doing what you are paying for. That is what I assume DE did.
So if FK is supposed to keep the Stadium in a reasonable condition and you are paying £200k per annum for this then if it isn't happening you are able to challenge and go to arbitration if necessary.
Whether it was a good idea or not who knows and time will tell. But Being nice to FK has been tried and didn't work it appears.

How about Didcot power station land?
Moving further and further away from Oxford, in my opinion we need to look at moving closer to the city itself. Wonder if some sort of deal with the council could be struck for the land around there,with the ice rink incorporated in one of the stands. Would definitely help with the appeal of the ice hockey aswell.

Moving further and further away from Oxford, in my opinion we need to look at moving closer to the city itself. Wonder if some sort of deal with the council could be struck for the land around there,with the ice rink incorporated in one of the stands. Would definitely help with the appeal of the ice hockey aswell.

Think that area has been earmarked for business and housing, as I’ve said previously OCC aren’t interested in OUFC

Back
Top Bottom