Conference play off final

Concretebob

Cheapest tickets are £36!

Want those posted? Extra £2.50. Print at home using your own ink, paper and printer? An extra £1!

Wembley really is a total rip off.

Cheapest tickets are £36!

Want those posted? Extra £2.50. Print at home using your own ink, paper and printer? An extra £1!

Wembley really is a total rip off.
Cash cow is all it is ....beer n food prices they charge in the stadium would make even our custodian,self appointed, wince in disbelief (& give him ideas) ....as for match day tickets @Concretebob is spot on, its a total ripoff aimed at wringing every last penny out of 'customers'

I know that we outnumbered York fairly comprehensively when we were there.

But surely this Saturday is going to be a little ridiculous?
Tranmere average ~10 times the crowds that Boreham Wood get, and presumably have a much bigger latent fan base as well.

Boreham Wood will probably have some commuter belt day-trippers there who won't be able to name a single player.....but I still suspect it'll be rather uneven in the stands!

I know that we outnumbered York fairly comprehensively when we were there.

But surely this Saturday is going to be a little ridiculous?
Tranmere average ~10 times the crowds that Boreham Wood get, and presumably have a much bigger latent fan base as well.

Boreham Wood will probably have some commuter belt day-trippers there who won't be able to name a single player.....but I still suspect it'll be rather uneven in the stands!

Forest green took 3,000 last year. Think borehamwood will take less!

Out of interest, what were the ticket prices when we played there in 2010? The EFL Trophy finals we’re fairly reasonable on the wallet IIRC.

As I said in the other thread, if Boreham Wood go up (and they could - gone are the 1990s days of grounds not being big or good enough) they’ll make Forest Green look like Liverpool. If they scrape together 2500 fans for the final, I’d be amazed.

I always confuse Borehamwood with Chorleywood. Silly of me., really. Who are they?

but surely that is the beauty and thrill of lower league football - the chance that a little club can fight their way up the leagues and clash with some of the bigger names. Should we not embrace it?

that was the adrenalin hit we had in the '80's, li'l Oxford playing Liverpoo and Spurs and Forest...

Or, we could treat them (us?) like MOTD does and smother them in perfunctory platitudes and admire their bravery and adopt a supercilious and demeaning demeanour to people who really care about their local team

I really hope that Tranmere make it.

They have deserved to go up in the past two seasons. A proper football club who have been in the Conference too long in my view.

tranmere for me please - purely on the basis that it won't f**k up my quest to do the 92 with Oxford. As it stands have got 2 left (plus 10 or so re-dos cos the fuckers have moved grounds).

Also, won't f**k up my secondary quest to see us win at the 91 (got a fair few of these left to do tbf)

Can't believe Boreham Wood could be in League 2 - they were old adversaries of Abingdon Town when I was involved there when they were in the Ryman League - as were Stevenage actually - decent enough set up but incredible to think they could be in the EFL.

but surely that is the beauty and thrill of lower league football - the chance that a little club can fight their way up the leagues and clash with some of the bigger names. Should we not embrace it?

that was the adrenalin hit we had in the '80's, li'l Oxford playing Liverpoo and Spurs and Forest...

Or, we could treat them (us?) like MOTD does and smother them in perfunctory platitudes and admire their bravery and adopt a supercilious and demeaning demeanour to people who really care about their local team

I used to think that way......and then we spent four years in the conference. I enjoyed the novelty at first, but eventually the tiny grounds and tinpot cup competitions and not being in the League Cup and not playing our rivals (even the lame ones, like Northampton and Wycombe) ground me down.

Nothing against Boreham Wood - but for every club with crowds of 500 that are "mixing it up with the big boys" in the Football League, there's likely a corresponding club with 5,000 passionate fans having to travel to Barrow on a Friday night......and I no longer wish that on any fans of a traditional, well-supported club like Tranmere (unless they deserve it, like Orient!)

As an aside someone at work came round selling raffle tickets for their local non-league football team ("Oh, you won't have heard of them") the other day - turns out it was Histon, now in the Eastern Counties League (same level as Hellenic) playing the likes of Ipswich Wanderers etc.

Generally, dont mind the odd 'plucky underdog' get promotion, as long as they are not from the south east (Stevenage, Barnet, Crawley, Dagenham etc) who rarely add anything different. Saying that, I also agree there are a few traditional league clubs who have more than 'served their time' in the conference and that I would welcome back (Tranmere, WRexham, Torquay, York, Kiddie, Stockport plus a couple in the North East).

SAme with Prem/Championship - it is good to get new faces going up, and big names go down occasionally, etc, but it is always a bit sad to see some of the traditional giants unable to get themselves back up within a few years. Fully functioning versions of the likes of Villa, Leeds, Forest and one or two others would at the very least restore a solid second tier in the top flight, (if not challenging higher), rather than everyone from 7th down just aiming to avoid relegation.

As an aside someone at work came round selling raffle tickets for their local non-league football team ("Oh, you won't have heard of them") the other day - turns out it was Histon, now in the Eastern Counties League (same level as Hellenic) playing the likes of Ipswich Wanderers etc.

Generally, dont mind the odd 'plucky underdog' get promotion, as long as they are not from the south east (Stevenage, Barnet, Crawley, Dagenham etc) who rarely add anything different. Saying that, I also agree there are a few traditional league clubs who have more than 'served their time' in the conference and that I would welcome back (Tranmere, WRexham, Torquay, York, Kiddie, Stockport plus a couple in the North East).

SAme with Prem/Championship - it is good to get new faces going up, and big names go down occasionally, etc, but it is always a bit sad to see some of the traditional giants unable to get themselves back up within a few years. Fully functioning versions of the likes of Villa, Leeds, Forest and one or two others would at the very least restore a solid second tier in the top flight, (if not challenging higher), rather than everyone from 7th down just aiming to avoid relegation.

I think it’s the trainset owners who spend their way beyond a club’s natural or potential local fan base only for them to give up and walk away. See histon rushden lewes

Back
Top Bottom