Sport Concussion

PSGsupporter

Well, you all could probably guess that the playing numbers of children playing collision sports is down in this country and in Oz, because mum's are scared of brain damage to their children. I love basketball, so it seems as if I'm gonna watch more of the NBA, Euroleague, EFL and women's tennis and far less rugby and American Football. Collision sports aren't going to be around for much longer in any case. Allez the Utah Jazz!

Well, you all could probably guess that the playing numbers of children playing collision sports is down in this country and in Oz, because mum's are scared of brain damage to their children. I love basketball, so it seems as if I'm gonna watch more of the NBA, Euroleague, EFL and women's tennis and far less rugby and American Football. Collision sports aren't going to be around for much longer in any case. Allez the Utah Jazz!
Yet UFC popularity is on the rise!

Yet UFC popularity is on the rise!
at the moment. Lot of boxing fans have crossed over and it's fairly new on the scene. But that's a combat sport, as you know i said collision sports. And i really mean team sports. Suppose there will always be a section of society really into watching combat sports, but they're always gonna be niche IMO.

Well, you all could probably guess that the playing numbers of children playing collision sports is down in this country and in Oz, because mums are scared of brain damage to their children. I love basketball, so it seems as if I'm gonna watch more of the NBA, Euroleague, EFL and women's tennis and far less rugby and American Football. Collision sports aren't going to be around for much longer in any case. Allez the Utah Jazz!
.....and dads

"Collision sports aren't going to be around for much longer in any case"

What a load of nonsense - my teens play rugby and football and have done for years and what is noticeable is the change of concussion protocols. A few years back, boys and girls would would take a knock and return to play quickly. Most sensible clubs now follow proper guidance - not returning to play, resting for a week or two and visiting a doctor if necessary. It doesn't stop head injuries but certainly lessens the chances.

Rugby in particular is doing its best to keep tackles lower (somebody should tell Owen Farrell) and stop rash challenges and clear-outs. Rugby league, on the other hand, needs to look closely at the shoulder and head-high hits - it doesn't seem to have done anything to regulate the sport. I absolutely wince at some of the hits I see.

There may be some drop-off (I assume you have access to some recent figures) but there are hundreds of healthy rugby clubs in the UK.

Isn't touch or tag Rugby still a thing for kids?

Tag until 8, touch until 11 (might be slightly earlier) and then full on mental contact! You do lose a lot of kids at 10 or 11 who don't really like the contact stuff.
Contact in rugby starts at U9's, but it is literally just tackling and nothing else (rucks, mauls, scrums and lineouts), which get gradually introduced over the next few years. But yeah you do typically lose kids from that year onwards...and then girls and boys separate out from U13 upwards too.

I know the RFU has been trying to do loads around concussion with grassroots clubs in particular around recognising the signs and return to play protocols if diagnosed by medical professional. More needs to be done and particularly between schools, parents and clubs as all three have an important role to play in keeping players safe Not all concussions happen on the pitch (little Johnny/Jenny will fall off their bike/get pushed off a wall at school you know!)...and secondary concussion (ie sustaining a subsequent head injury) can and has been fatal.

I think grassroots rugby has been hit harder than football during the pandemic as there have been more restrictions on what they can/could do (football fixtures continued when rugby couldn't even train, for example).

Political correctness gone maaaad.

Contact in rugby starts at U9's, but it is literally just tackling and nothing else (rucks, mauls, scrums and lineouts), which get gradually introduced over the next few years. But yeah you do typically lose kids from that year onwards...and then girls and boys separate out from U13 upwards too.

I know the RFU has been trying to do loads around concussion with grassroots clubs in particular around recognising the signs and return to play protocols if diagnosed by medical professional. More needs to be done and particularly between schools, parents and clubs as all three have an important role to play in keeping players safe Not all concussions happen on the pitch (little Johnny/Jenny will fall off their bike/get pushed off a wall at school you know!)...and secondary concussion (ie sustaining a subsequent head injury) can and has been fatal.

I think grassroots rugby has been hit harder than football during the pandemic as there have been more restrictions on what they can/could do (football fixtures continued when rugby couldn't even train, for example).
My son's colts rugby started up again at the end of the last lockdown - the RFU loosened the rules over summer rugby and they got 7 or so games in (there are masses of clubs in south west London). No scrums, or mauls but there was rucking and competitive line-outs.

Political correctness gone maaaad.
Rob Burrow would not be in the state he's in if he had chosen to play football instead. Yeah, he still would have developed MND, but much later in life. If you see the way collision sports are played today compared with a few years ago, chalk and cheese. And it's only going to get "worse".

Rob Burrow would not be in the state he's in if he had chosen to play football instead. Yeah, he still would have developed MND, but much later in life. If you see the way collision sports are played today compared with a few years ago, chalk and cheese. And it's only going to get "worse".

That is the impact of professionalism.

Perhaps you should change your user name to Welsh Gin Rummy & Darts watcher, that should make you feel better, although the obesity in darts is worrying............

My son's colts rugby started up again at the end of the last lockdown - the RFU loosened the rules over summer rugby and they got 7 or so games in (there are masses of clubs in south west London). No scrums, or mauls but there was rucking and competitive line-outs.
Yep - it was good to see things opening up and for some competitive (albeit adapted rules) games being played towards the end of the season. Looking very much like it will be back to normal by September though with all restrictions lifted from 19th July. Only time will tell if that is a wise decision!

But all grassroots rugby was off from Xmas to practically Easter with not even training sessions allowed under the RFU Covid roadmap (apart from 2 people together).

Lions series is a bit touch and go though :oops:

Alan Jones the former Wallaby coach said that neither code of rugby should not be full-time, full-time players don't suit the laws. I'm starting to agree with him.

Fair enough, I doubt any marsupials care about double negatives.

Yes really!

Or at least dreading every games lesson in which they were forced to risk a whack on the head, a smack in the teeth, or some other injury to play a sport in which the ball appears to be of largely secondary concern, when all they wanted to do was kick a football about

Yes really!

Or at least dreading every games lesson in which they were forced to risk a whack on the head, a smack in the teeth, or some other injury to play a sport in which the ball appears to be of largely secondary concern, when all they wanted to do was kick a football about
Yup. Sounds like my secondary school experience. Rugby is a very punitive game if you’re not the kind of kid who’s up for a ruck.

Back
Top Bottom