Computers ARE the virus

If this subject has been covered before on here, I apologise.

I'm a father of five kids. Substitute the word 'kids' for lifeless robots, then you'll see where I'm going on this 'un. When I was a little boy and later, a youth, I used to climb trees, have conker fights with my mates, go knick-knock-nannying, play football and pretend I was George Best or Bobby bloody Charlton. Occasionally, I'd watch decent TV shows like Morecambe and Wise, Laurel and Hardy, TISWAS, etc. I lived in Horspath and used the watch the motorbike scrambling on a Sunday (ahh! The smell of Gunk!). I would chase the girls, and if I ever caught them, would try to get a sneaky snog out of them (with their f*cking permission, in case the PC brigade are watching). Like most normal lads, I f*cking hated school. Now, let's fast-forward to the late 90's. I have just bought a crow bar. I need it to prise my lifeless kids off their phones and bloody laptop/PCs. Am I the only parent with this nightmarish problem?

As Debbie McGee might've said to her husband Paul Daniels if he asked her if she thought he was good-looking; you've lost me there, Paul.

If this subject has been covered before on here, I apologise.

I'm a father of five kids. Substitute the word 'kids' for lifeless robots, then you'll see where I'm going on this 'un. When I was a little boy and later, a youth, I used to climb trees, have conker fights with my mates, go knick-knock-nannying, play football and pretend I was George Best or Bobby bloody Charlton. Occasionally, I'd watch decent TV shows like Morecambe and Wise, Laurel and Hardy, TISWAS, etc. I lived in Horspath and used the watch the motorbike scrambling on a Sunday (ahh! The smell of Gunk!). I would chase the girls, and if I ever caught them, would try to get a sneaky snog out of them (with their f*cking permission, in case the PC brigade are watching). Like most normal lads, I f*cking hated school. Now, let's fast-forward to the late 90's. I have just bought a crow bar. I need it to prise my lifeless kids off their phones and bloody laptop/PCs. Am I the only parent with this nightmarish problem?

I hate to tell you Dave, but it's 2019. The late 90's was 20 years ago mate!!!!

Those "kids" have really frazzled your brain haven't they!!!

Last edited:
Colin, I forgot to add (typical me!) every now and then, I hear both of my lads screaming out loud. They are in separate bedrooms and with different mates. What the f*ck are they doing? Can someone tell me what type of games make an otherwise normal person act like: 'Here's Johnny!'

It's a problem... We will have to deal with the consequences in the future.

There needs to be greater control of internet access by young people. The governments adult sites legislation is **** and doesn't achieve anything. If I could remotely access my hub and block devices from connecting to it - or limit their connection time, this would be useful.

Eyes and joints are going to be damaged by all the screen time kids are having. Their minds are also being scrambled.

Why not take an interest?
Talk to them, ask about the games they're playing, they can't be on their computers all day.
Or...
Trip the breaker for the upstairs circuit.

But anxiety etc have risen. No perfect world I suppose, things change and somethings get better and some worse.

Bit ironic moaning on here about it though.

It's a problem... We will have to deal with the consequences in the future.

There needs to be greater control of internet access by young people. The governments adult sites legislation is **** and doesn't achieve anything. If I could remotely access my hub and block devices from connecting to it - or limit their connection time, this would be useful.

Eyes and joints are going to be damaged by all the screen time kids are having. Their minds are also being scrambled.
This can be done fairly easy in the settings. Type 192.168.1.1 into browser, enter admin password on back of router. Find access control and select what times you want what devices connected to the internet

This can be done fairly easy in the settings. Type 192.168.1.1 into browser, enter admin password on back of router. Find access control and select what times you want what devices connected to the internet
Default router access IPs may vary, although usually as quoted above. Everyone should know how to do this if they have kids connecting.

Back
Top Bottom