Come on vale

Also how can I forget the proper double decker buses to Reading with cuddy.Never seen so many people on a bus everšŸ˜‚
How it never rolled over I never know, it was rocking side to side
You are correct you cannot deny the facts, but Swindon is a bit remote and itā€™s easy for some in Oxford to support clubs in London or Birmingham.
For those who live in the north of our county Brum Villa and Wolves are a big pull. For those in the East any of the London clubs,Swindon are sandwiched between us and Bristol so no big clubs to support.
Yes when on your travels to away matches,& you passed through Banbury train station.There would be loads waiting for the train ,with villa, wolves or even Coventry colours & shirts on

Bit like Oxford parkway on a Saturday or aSunday no Oxford shirts .Just every big London club, plus Liverpool or Man United if there playing in the smoke.It really annoys me not supporting your local team.

Having lived in Reading since 2014 (and attended uni here earlier in the 00ā€™s) I can confirm I regularly wear OUFC merch around (& have an OUFC tattoo on my arm) and itā€™s barely commented on. Definitely havenā€™t ever felt unsafe or anything. Not sure some of the younger, modern day fans of the Plastics could even pick our badge outā€¦

I remember getting pelted with coins back at Elm Park as a child after one of our games there and my mum being absolutely appalled when my dad brought me home with a big welt on my forehead!

The big plastic expansion of Reading as a football team since we last met them, and two decades since weā€™ve played them at the same level regularly mean that from a Reading perspective itā€™s definitely not a rivalry which is fierce as it once was. It really needs a game between us and Reading to re-spark itā€¦

Having lived in Reading since 2014 (and attended uni here earlier in the 00ā€™s) I can confirm I regularly wear OUFC merch around (& have an OUFC tattoo on my arm) and itā€™s barely commented on. Definitely havenā€™t ever felt unsafe or anything. Not sure some of the younger, modern day fans of the Plastics could even pick our badge outā€¦

I remember getting pelted with coins back at Elm Park as a child after one of our games there and my mum being absolutely appalled when my dad brought me home with a big welt on my forehead!

The big plastic expansion of Reading as a football team since we last met them, and two decades since weā€™ve played them at the same level regularly mean that from a Reading perspective itā€™s definitely not a rivalry which is fierce as it once was. It really needs a game between us and Reading to re-spark itā€¦
Yeah deffo needs a couple of games against them to ruffle the feathers again.Most of Reading has changed in that time .Along with the plastics & new stadium plus being in higher divisions.They was never above us, either same league or below.Reading used to be just biscuit factories & courage brewery šŸ˜‚

Yeah deffo needs a couple of games against them to ruffle the feathers again.Most of Reading has changed in that time .Along with the plastics & new stadium plus being in higher divisions.They was never above us, either same league or below.Reading used to be just biscuit factories & courage brewery šŸ˜‚
I remember getting a bottle smashed on my headfrom behind, when I walked past a pub on the Oxford road.

Yes that is true, but according to a Swindon fan I know that accounts for around 500 tickets per match.

They have always had slightly larger gates than us historically

Reading is the model we should look at for years they had poor gates at Elm Park. Swindon and Oxford were getting double their gates when we were in the same division.
Then Madjeski happened and took them on a journey and they havenā€™t looked backed, we were also taken on a journey but in the other direction. With the right investment we could have stayed in the second tier with a completed stadium but that was ruined by a greedy ogre of a man who has put us through 20 years of hell,Even though he is not the owner he still has control of us.
Hopefully our new owners will take us to the promised land
It was nearer 900, which accounted for the difference.

I remember getting a bottle smashed on my headfrom behind, when I walked past a pub on the Oxford road.

That would of been the Royal Albion most likely.

Last time I went to Elm Park we drew 1-1 I think Joey scored, and Carl Asaba scored for them, and all you could see what Auto Trader everywhere, and bottles and coins hurled at us in the open terrace behind the goal.

There younger fans donā€™t know what the rivalry is all about. Itā€™s not as fierce as them f**kers down the A420, but itā€™s not far behind. A few games against them, and they will know what itā€™s all about when we turn up on there patch.

I remember getting a bottle smashed on my headfrom behind, when I walked past a pub on the Oxford road

Last time I went to Elm Park we drew 1-1 I think Joey scored, and Carl Asaba scored for them, and all you could see what Auto Trader everywhere, and bottles and coins hurled at us in the open terrace behind the goal.

There younger fans donā€™t know what the rivalry is all about. Itā€™s not as fierce as them f**kers down the A420, but itā€™s not far behind. A few games against them, and they will know what itā€™s all about when we turn up on there patch.
Yes that was the name of it I think.on the corner before you turned off to elm park.

Itā€™ll just be old boys waving the evening paper at each other!

Wantage is probably 70:30 in favour of Oxford nowadays, no question.

Iā€™m moving shortly and Wantage will be one of the nearer towns down the back roads. Iā€™ve done plenty of work there but never been out in the town. I like the feel of the place and hoping thereā€™s a decent restaurant/take away or two. Any recommendationā€™s - or places to avoid ?

Iā€™m moving shortly and Wantage will be one of the nearer towns down the back roads. Iā€™ve done plenty of work there but never been out in the town. I like the feel of the place and hoping thereā€™s a decent restaurant/take away or two. Any recommendationā€™s - or places to avoid ?
Yummy Thai is superb whether eaten in or taken away.
The Bear Hotel do excellent food and Sunday lunch is superb.
The Blue Boar has just re-opened as a wine/cocktail bar and the guy running it will also be doing Spanish tapas food shortly.
Masooms curry house is not cheap but is a really good indian.
If you want a proper boozer for watching the football or game of darts then the Abingdon Arms is great. They also have a nice garden.

Yummy Thai is superb whether eaten in or taken away.
The Bear Hotel do excellent food and Sunday lunch is superb.
The Blue Boar has just re-opened as a wine/cocktail bar and the guy running it will also be doing Spanish tapas food shortly.
Masooms curry house is not cheap but is a really good indian.
If you want a proper boozer for watching the football or game of darts then the Abingdon Arms is great. They also have a nice garden.

Thanks for that, will definitely be trying a few of those. What about in the nearby villages, anything there worth knowing about ?

Thanks for that, will definitely be trying a few of those. What about in the nearby villages, anything there worth knowing about ?

If you remotely like your cricket then Challow and Childrey CC offer probably the best views of the downs and serve good selections of drinks and is a really friendly club.
Try the Boars Head at Ardington - home cooked food in a really nice old pub.
The Greyhound at Letcombe Bassett is a bit more expensive and a la carte menu - a good one for a special occasion.
The Plough at Eastbury is renowned for their Sunday roasts (although I think the Bear is better!)
If youā€™re into walking or cycling then get yourself up the ridgeway. There are some lovely walks and trails and itā€™s a popular spot for families and dog walkers.

If you remotely like your cricket then Challow and Childrey CC offer probably the best views of the downs and serve good selections of drinks and is a really friendly club.
Try the Boars Head at Ardington - home cooked food in a really nice old pub.
The Greyhound at Letcombe Bassett is a bit more expensive and a la carte menu - a good one for a special occasion.
The Plough at Eastbury is renowned for their Sunday roasts (although I think the Bear is better!)
If youā€™re into walking or cycling then get yourself up the ridgeway. There are some lovely walks and trails and itā€™s a popular spot for families and dog walkers.
Plenty to go on there, thanks. I did go to the Greyhound at Letcombe a couple of years ago and that was very good. Youā€™re right about the Ridgeway, fantastic views up there and goes under the radar a bit. I spent most of my time in West Oxfordshire and while thatā€™s a really nice area, and Cotswoldy, itā€™s besieged by tourists a lot of the time whereas the ridgeway area seems a bit more unaffected and equally as nice. Anyway, thanks for all that info and looking forward to getting stuck in !

Plenty to go on there, thanks. I did go to the Greyhound at Letcombe a couple of years ago and that was very good. Youā€™re right about the Ridgeway, fantastic views up there and goes under the radar a bit. I spent most of my time in West Oxfordshire and while thatā€™s a really nice area, and Cotswoldy, itā€™s besieged by tourists a lot of the time whereas the ridgeway area seems a bit more unaffected and equally as nice. Anyway, thanks for all that info and looking forward to getting stuck in !
Pleasure. Might see you around the area. Wear your colours with pride - more Ox to drown out the few swine, the better!

The town isnā€™t much of a night out anymore, sadly. Will be interesting to see what the Blue Boar is like now itā€™s under new management, itā€™s a really big place and has so much potential to be good in there. King Alfredā€™s Head is probably the nicest garden for afternoon beers, but is a little bit pricey. For sport, it has to be the Bay Tree in Grove (a mile down the road). Can be good in there on a super Sunday when thereā€™s some good games on. The Cellar bar has now turned into a really nice Pizzeria and do some great drinks, definitely worth going in there. Agree about Masooms for Indian food, but Elaichi in Grove is decent too (the boss also likes The Uā€™s).

The town isnā€™t much of a night out anymore, sadly. Will be interesting to see what the Blue Boar is like now itā€™s under new management, itā€™s a really big place and has so much potential to be good in there. King Alfredā€™s Head is probably the nicest garden for afternoon beers, but is a little bit pricey. For sport, it has to be the Bay Tree in Grove (a mile down the road). Can be good in there on a super Sunday when thereā€™s some good games on. The Cellar bar has now turned into a really nice Pizzeria and do some great drinks, definitely worth going in there. Agree about Masooms for Indian food, but Elaichi in Grove is decent too (the boss also likes The Uā€™s).

Shush is reopening this summer as ā€œDelaneyā€™sā€ they will be a nightclub at night but sports bar/bottomless brunch venue by day. They are also promoting ā€˜bandā€™ nights too.

Iā€™ve always found the Baytree to be a disappointment as the bar staff couldnā€™t give a monkeys if youā€™re being served or not and the food isnā€™t anywhere near as good as it used to be.

The Vaults Pizzeria is really good! Iā€™d forgotten that one - well worth a visit!

Shush is reopening this summer as ā€œDelaneyā€™sā€ they will be a nightclub at night but sports bar/bottomless brunch venue by day. They are also promoting ā€˜bandā€™ nights too.

Iā€™ve always found the Baytree to be a disappointment as the bar staff couldnā€™t give a monkeys if youā€™re being served or not and the food isnā€™t anywhere near as good as it used to be.

The Vaults Pizzeria is really good! Iā€™d forgotten that one - well worth a visit!

Yes I see that about Delaneyā€™s. Going to be a Scottish bar isnā€™t it? Decent venue for bands to be fair. Canā€™t say Iā€™ll be visiting it as a nightclub though [emoji23]

Just praying for the train station at The Volly to reopen one day. Especially with Stratfield Brake on the horizon. Canā€™t see it happening anytime soon though. It would be a great day out for home games with all the yellows in Wantage and Grove area.

Always thought the club should lay on a coach for us lot out this way. Would fill it easily every home game.

• React
Reactions: m
Back
Top Bottom