Colin B Resignation

Many thanks to Colin for his efforts, not just as Chairman but over the years as someone who has been very supportive to the club. More so than most would realise, I’d wager.

As a life member, I’m eager to hear what the trust has in store, particularly in terms of holding the club’s board to account. OxVox is an independent trust, not an extension of the club and its PR mechanism, and it’s vital that it is run as such. Especially at present.

I think people will find out soon what the real position of Oxvox is, looking at some of the replies they have got the wrong end of the stick.

I think people will find out soon what the real position of Oxvox is, looking at some of the replies they have got the wrong end of the stick.

As a member, I wish they would inform me of their real position.

• React
Reactions: m
Fans have got the wrong end of the stick or Oxvox have?

Elucidate sir ?[/QUOTE]

And the wrong end of which stick?

And which end is the wrong end..?

Just to add a bit of clarity regarding some of the comments above, my resignation was nothing to do with the committee wanting to go easier on the club. Neither was it that the committee wanted to be tougher with the club.

It was a fundamental disagreement about the role of Chairman. To me the Chairman is the leader, and leads from the front. The Chairman is the focal point of contact with the club. The Chairman has his name on communications to the club and the membership and it should be the Chairman's words, backed by the committee. This is not to say the Chairman is a dictator, nor is it to say that the committee should just toe the line, but there has to be a balance of input given the complexity of some of the situations the Chairman finds himself in. I would liken it to being a Managing Director (a role I've held at more than one company) where there would be a direction set by the MD and implemented by the MD and management group following management meetings.

Unfortunately with OxVox I found myself with a committee that wanted to be involved in pretty much every decision. This led to a constant compromise on pretty much everything. When writing statements to members the committee would insist on having their say, and I feel that it is impossible to have ten people writing a statement and you end up with something different from that intended. To return to the MD analogy, it's like the MD makes a decision and the employees decide they don't like it, so outvote him. Not many MDs would hang around under those conditions! Not quite the constructive dismissal that Myles mentioned, but I can see the connection. I don't think it was a case of the committee wanting me out (I could be wrong!!!) but I just don't think some of them appreciated the massive frustration and strain that this modus operandi put on me. It's very much not my way, as if I put my head up above the parapet, it needs to be for something I believe in, not a watered down version of it.

Call a meeting please. As an Oxvox life member I’d like to know what the hell is going on.

With the club sailing in uncharted waters - as far as I’m concerned / we need a strong supporters group. This news does not create that impression.

Last edited:
Call a meeting please. As an Oxvox life member I’d like to know what the hell is going on.

With the club sailing in uncharted waters - as far as I’m concerned / we need a strong supporters group. This news does not create that impression.

How many members are needed to force a EGM?

Thank you @Colin B for both your work with OxVox and your explanation of recent events. But I'd like to think we should afford the rest of the committee a little time to discuss this and to offer an appropriate response. Talk of "forcing" an EGM is excessive in my view. Since Tiger took over we've had an election on to the committee and a number of meetings which has limited involvement from the membership. It will be good to see more engagement and I'm sure a meeting will take place in due course, but I'm not sure that it is the time to be marching with pitchforks and flaming torches just yet.

The problem is though Colin, you are not the MD of OxVox. It is a supporter's group not a company. The group is supposed to represent their members, and the people elected were done so on the basis of their background and what they said they were going to do. So it is entirely right that they have input into the policies and press releases of the group - as much as the Chairman, who is just an elected member as are the rest of them. I can understand how that might be very awkward at times (having to give the 'party line' which might not tally exactly with your own thoughts) but IMO that is what the chairman is there to do. It sounds as if you have a different idea of the role and as such I think you have done the right (and honourable) thing in resigning. If the other elected committee members are not being as firm with the club as they should be, then firstly we should be told by them what their stance is and secondly the membership should be given a chance to vote them out. It is unfortunate this has happened at a time of great uncertainty for the club and with a regime in place who seem to smile politely and tell us as little as possible (wherein I suspect lies your frustration!!). I back other member's calls for a meeting (as soon as possible, pre a home match - sorry, Sarge) to get a new Chairman - and possibly new committee members - in place. We cannot let this drift in the current situation.

Please note, this is absolutely NOT a personal criticism, and anyone who gives up their own time and effort in what must sometimes seem to be a bit of a thankless task has my sincere admiration. One who stand up as Chairman doubly so. I say all this simply as a member of OxVox, without knowing anything about what happens behind the curtain (in the same position as many of the other members of course). All I know is what has been sent out by OxVox and what is said here on this thread.

I can only reflect on my experience of volunteering elsewhere. For me, you need a focal point and a tone of voice to all comms so that you have a unified front (regardless of what the outside sees). While it's really good so many people want to be involved, the issue you can get is organisational paralysis and confusing focus. I can't comment on OxVox, but there comes a point where JFDI is needed and if one or two people don't like the wording, it's not the end of the world.

But it is tough to do that sort of thing in your own time. And very much something it's easy to underestimate from the outside.

EGM = Extraordinary General Meeting, which obviously can be called in Extraordinary circumstances, or if something /things of an Extraordinary has occurred

Dictionary definition of EGM :
EGM

abbreviation for
(Industrial Relations & HR Terms) extraordinary general meeting

EGM outline explanation:

What is an Extraordinary General Meeting - EGM
An extraordinary general meeting (EGM), also called a special general meeting or emergency general meeting, is a meeting other than a company’sannual general meeting (AGM) that regularly occurs among a company's shareholders, executives and any other members. In contrast, an EGM is usually called on short notice and deals with an urgent matter, often concerning company management.

BREAKING DOWN Extraordinary General Meeting - EGM
In most cases, the only time shareholders and executives meet is during a company’s annual general meeting, which usually occurs at a fixed time. However, certain events may require shareholders to come together to solve a certain problem, such as the removal of an executive. Another key difference between an annual general meeting and an extraordinary general meeting is that an AGM can only be held during business hours and not on a national holiday, while an EGM can be carried out on any day, including a national holiday.

If an AGM is not called within this stipulated time frame a financial penalty can be imposed, while no penalty exists for an EGM meeting outside of business hours. While an AGM can only be called by the company’s board, an EGM can also be called by the Board on the requisition of shareholders, requisitionist, or tribunal.

Example of an Extraordinary General Meeting
Extraordinary general meetings occur frequently for a variety of reasons, often surrounding the potential removal of an executive. In December 2017, the London Stock Exchange (LSE) held an extraordinary general meeting, regarding claims that its Chairman, Donald Brydon, pushed out of former chief executive Xavier Rolet. Rolet stepped down early in November 2017.

Although some EGMs occur outside of normal business hours, LSE’s recent EGM took place on a non-holiday Tuesday. The motion was sparked by activist investor The Children’s Investment Fund Management (TCI); TCI received 20.9% votes in favor of Brydon’s removal. The ultimate result of the EGM was that Brydon remained in his position. Additional major shareholders, who opposed the motion, included Blackrock, Qatar Investment Authority (QIA), and Institutional Shareholder Services (ISS).

Thank you @Colin B for both your work with OxVox and your explanation of recent events. But I'd like to think we should afford the rest of the committee a little time to discuss this and to offer an appropriate response. Talk of "forcing" an EGM is excessive in my view. Since Tiger took over we've had an election on to the committee and a number of meetings which has limited involvement from the membership. It will be good to see more engagement and I'm sure a meeting will take place in due course, but I'm not sure that it is the time to be marching with pitchforks and flaming torches just yet.

Maybe in your view, however the members need to be made aware of what the fcuk is going on. Remember the committee in situ was not elected by the membership. It is imperative that an EGM is called forthwith and the “committee” explain in detail what is happening both within the trust and the club. There has been far to much secrecy and information held from the membership for too long. Meeting taking place between club officials and committee members on stairwells within the stadium is not how things should be conducted.Oxox strength is it’s membership, not a few committee members holding clandestine meetings with the club.

Back
Top Bottom