Cold

Grimsby away about 15 years ago on a friday night...reported at the time as -26 with the north sea wind chill

Grimsby away about 15 years ago on a friday night...reported at the time as -26 with the north sea wind chill
Another committed fan. Saturday afternoon was bad enough. Cracker from Rosie as I remember in the eighties.

The breeze block with its wind tunnel enhancing 3 stands is colder than a witches tit even on the hottest day of the year.

Layer up with thermals, animal skins and other polar expedition attire for any home game is good advice..... there's a rumour circulating that the stadium landlord is looking to cash in on the refrigerated conditions by hiring it out a storage unit to frozen food chain Iceland?

Hull away back in the mid nineties was brass monkeys, I was a teenager who didn’t see the point of wasting money on a coat as I never felt cold, so if I felt it then it must of been brassic.

The Kassam has its moments though, swear the blood in my legs froze Saturday, rarely got cold on the London road but it’s 10 to 12 games of risking frostbite at our delightful rental home.

Hull away back in the mid nineties was brass monkeys, I was a teenager who didn’t see the point of wasting money on a coat as I never felt cold, so if I felt it then it must of been brassic.

The Kassam has its moments though, swear the blood in my legs froze Saturday, rarely got cold on the London road but it’s 10 to 12 games of risking frostbite at our delightful rental home.

Was that the 3-1 defeat in 1994 or 95 at Boothferry Park? Twas a cold one if so.

We lost and it was freezing at Hulls old ground so yeah probably then, think it was the start of a collapse from near the top of the 3rd division to missing out on the play offs.

I did see some hilariously underdressed people on Sat. Don’t know how anyone without a hat survived

Hull at Boothferry under Maurice......... 27 Bovrils, Maurice put the kettle on! Can remember vainly trying to shelter from horizontal North Sea sleet under the overhang from the Sainsburys behind the away terrace...... :)

A Tuesday night home game v Macclesfield in the conf. sticks in my mind as v cold, and we lost 0-2. Away, I remember Forest (in the cup maybe?) and the open terrace at York in the Dennis Smith era on a midweek night.
Was that York game when we scored 2 in the last few minutes after going 1 down...or is my mind playing tricks on me ?

Was that York game when we scored 2 in the last few minutes after going 1 down...or is my mind playing tricks on me ?
We lost this match 0-1 at Bootham Crescent, but on the following Saturday we played Carlisle away. (I stayed 'up north' for these 2 matches) The Carlisle match was where we were 1 nil down with time running out and Martin Aldridge scored along with a stunner from Matty Elliot. I think we were unbeaten to the end of the season from there, including beating the scum at the Manor, and almost pipped them for the title. Happy days

Salisbury away, Boxing Day 2008 (I think). Wilder’s first game. Thought my feet were going to fall off it was so cold.

"Pies and pasties! Pies and pasties!"

"What pies ya got?"

[looks in bag] "Only got pasties."

My favourite conversation from that day.

That reminds me of the pub at Stafford Rangers.

"Got anything to eat?"
"No, sorry. There's a sandwich shop next door but they close for lunch."

Ha! That's reminded me of a pub/bar in Tamworth one Sunday in March.

"Do you do food?"
"Yeah, but not until..." [lengthy pause] "...April"

Accrington away on a Baltically icy cold February night in MApps first season... so bitter the cold cut through multi layers of attire on that open to the elements terrace....the visually muddy quagmire of a pitch was actually made up of frozen and slowly freezing divots.....3 .5 hour journey back to Gods county (Oxford) seemed twice as long after conceeding the only goal of the game in time added on .....grim up north? It was that night!

Lincoln away in the January of the 83/84 promotion season. Absolutely freezing icy wind, bit of snow as well. Those on the terrace invited to join us in the seats. Most did, but a few hardy souls braved standing throughout.

Northampton away a few years ago. Snow covered pitch, bitterly cold, frostbite in Andy Whing’s beard and Captain Scott in the dugout. Took a day for some warmth to return to my feet.

We lost as well.

Back
Top Bottom