General Clubs going under

mooro

We've been hearing a lot about how current circumstances are going to send clubs out of business, with some quotes of 40-50 clubs going under.

Obviously, every club that leaves the pyramid is a loss, if only to their local community, but as yet, it has been largely quiet on this front - particularly in terms of the EPL/EFL.

We have had the sad news from Droylesden (Northern Premier League) today, and indications from Dover (National League) that they are on the verge, and of course Wigan (albeit deeper issues that just Covid), but on the whole there seems to be a surprising amount of business as usual from league clubs, with little else reported in terms of clubs facing the brink.

I wonder whether those claims are (hopefully) going to be well wide of the mark - or whether we are just at the start of things, and the slippery slope will begin to claim more victims as the season progresses?

We've been hearing a lot about how current circumstances are going to send clubs out of business, with some quotes of 40-50 clubs going under.

Obviously, every club that leaves the pyramid is a loss, if only to their local community, but as yet, it has been largely quiet on this front - particularly in terms of the EPL/EFL.

We have had the sad news from Droylesden (Northern Premier League) today, and indications from Dover (National League) that they are on the verge, and of course Wigan (albeit deeper issues that just Covid), but on the whole there seems to be a surprising amount of business as usual from league clubs, with little else reported in terms of clubs facing the brink.

I wonder whether those claims are (hopefully) going to be well wide of the mark - or whether we are just at the start of things, and the slippery slope will begin to claim more victims as the season progresses?
Many EFL clubs have their players on furlough.
The problems may start when the players go back and the clubs have to start paying the wages for themselves.

The problems may start when the players go back and the clubs have to start paying the wages for themselves.
Ah, of course, I had forgotten that most of L1 and L2 have been off since March....

If clubs do go before the season starts - I wonder whether other clubs will be promoted/reprieved to cover the gaps, or whether leagues will just go ahead as they stand?

Shouldn’t they get them off that and start pre season sharpish? Season to start September 12th after a 4 month lay off, could be seeing some very rusty and unfit players at the beginning.

Business head says keep them on furlough as long as they can.
The baby steps of survival are only just starting for many.

On one hand we're arguing about not being able to spend more than £2.5m this year on players wages whilst the stark reality is that a number of clubs in league one and two are on the brink of going bust.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't look to back ourselves any less, but it shows the fine lines between success and failure.

Exeter C apparently losing £1m a month. Maybe we should bud for a Ryan Bowman who gas scored 15 goals for them last season

Exeter C apparently losing £1m a month. Maybe we should bud for a Ryan Bowman who gas scored 15 goals for them last season

Where have you got that from? And what are they spending it on to lose £12m a year?

They are still Trust owned and I very much doubt that is the case of them spending that considering they have lived within their means for years. They have built a new stand and bought/installed the ex-Barnet bouncy terrace but they funded that from grants/sponsorship/partnership.

I was trawling through BBC Sport and i think it was one of the papers

I was trawling through BBC Sport and i think it was one of the papers

You don't mean Exeter Chiefs (Rugby Union) do you? As that I could see with all their England players etc but I don't think Exeter City have spent £12m (then add in the income they get) ever in 1 season and there is no mention of it on their forum after a quick scan which I would fully expect.

Edit: It is Exeter Chiefs:

You don't mean Exeter Chiefs (Rugby Union) do you? As that I could see with all their England players etc but I don't think Exeter City have spent £12m (then add in the income they get) ever in 1 season and there is no mention of it on their forum after a quick scan which I would fully expect.

Edit: It is Exeter Chiefs:

Well he did say Exeter C in fairness.

Where have you got that from? And what are they spending it on to lose £12m a year?

They are still Trust owned and I very much doubt that is the case of them spending that considering they have lived within their means for years. They have built a new stand and bought/installed the ex-Barnet bouncy terrace but they funded that from grants/sponsorship/partnership.
That terrace was great, I fell over in the melee following O’Dowda’s goal such were the vibrations.

Back
Top Bottom