Club Song

Yellowblood

I have to say, I do like a good a club song belted out by all before kick off. If you ever visit Anfield, City, West Ham etc, it does stir emotion before kickoff.
Is there a song that we have associated with over the years that could somehow be revived?

I have to say, I do like a good a club song belted out by all before kick off. If you ever visit Anfield, City, West Ham etc, it does stir emotion before kickoff.
Is there a song that we have associated with over the years that could somehow be revived?
Before all this kicked off, Zaki did mention that there was a club song being "written" but not heard anything since

sentiment is good (re club song) , biggest problem is 'people' (some) want to change the original lyrics , yet all those clubs with thier own very sucessful club song belt it out with unchanged lyrics. Also the most sucessful ones have very simple to learn lyrics too- which makes any 'club' song totally inclusive, as in all supporters from the young to the old, can, if they wish, join in.

For me theres two contenders for being adopted as OUFC club song- both London Road favourites in late 60s- early to mid 70s, so there is a history with OUFC and both of em

Those Were The Days - Mary Hopkins had the bigger hit with it late 60s, Oxon resident & Eurovision winner Sandy Shaw had a lesser chart hit with the same song at the same time more or less- Mary Hopkins ' soundfile- with lyrics displayed, below...

Alternatively the other option (for me ) is When Youre Smiling
one of many versions ( Andy Williams) soundfile below

Before all this kicked off, Zaki did mention that there was a club song being "written" but not heard anything since

which would amount to something 'imposed' by a particular adminstration/ ownership set up

club song should (imo) be adopted by the supporters , not the board of directors

The worst thing would be to go down the Aussie route of club songs:
Here’s a typical AFL one. Gets played at the end of the match if they win
Even more embarrassing is the real football team Perth Glory whose anthem is this:
And even more cringeworthy this abomination:
Yes they are singing “Glory, Glory, Perth Glory”.

sentiment is good (re club song) , biggest problem is 'people' (some) want to change the original lyrics , yet all those clubs with thier own very sucessful club song belt it out with unchanged lyrics. Also the most sucessful ones have very simple to learn lyrics too- which makes any 'club' song totally inclusive, as in all supporters from the young to the old, can, if they wish, join in.

For me theres two contenders for being adopted as OUFC club song- both London Road favourites in late 60s- early to mid 70s, so there is a history with OUFC and both of em

Those Were The Days - Mary Hopkins had the bigger hit with it late 60s, Oxon resident & Eurovision winner Sandy Shaw had a lesser chart hit with the same song at the same time more or less- Mary Hopkins ' soundfile- with lyrics displayed, below...

Alternatively the other option (for me ) is When Youre Smiling
one of many versions ( Andy Williams) soundfile below

I actually remember singing those. Should I be embarrassed? ?

Not sure about not changing the words though Sarge. I remember singing “We’ve seen you run before” (at the scum and others) to the tune of Those were the days. Always went down well ........ ?

Not sure about not changing the words though Sarge. I remember singing “We’ve seen you run before” (at the scum and others) to the tune of Those were the days. Always went down well ........ ?
was referring to (the) now/ recent for ( an adopted) club song, without any change to lyrics ;)

( Youll never walk again- during the hooligan era- to the tune of the bindippers adopted song for example was one of many 'changed' back in those days- these days the bindippers sing it as Gerry Marsden did in the 60s - as opposed to the version on the soundtrack of the film/musical Carousel) :sneaky:

which would amount to something 'imposed' by a particular adminstration/ ownership set up

club song should (imo) be adopted by the supporters , not the board of directors
Agree but as such, it helps to brand the club externally. Let's see what is actually is, my hopes are low after what Reading's owners did

As a support we have no songs, also the songs used by the club make me cringe with embarrassment!

Tin pot...

As a support we have no songs, also the songs used by the club make me cringe with embarrassment!

Tin pot...
Yes I have to agree compared to a lot of clubs we really don’t have any original songs associated exclusively to us . The chant I hate the most was “your only here cus it’s oxford “ how arrogant.

Yes I have to agree compared to a lot of clubs we really don’t have any original songs associated exclusively to us . The chant I hate the most was “your only here cus it’s oxford “ how arrogant.
That is especially daft one when people sing it when we are playing at home. I can't think of many away supporters who would go to watch a match at Grenoble Road unless their team was playing Oxford!!!

Didn't we at one time run out to 'I'm the Leader of the Gang' by Gary Glitter.... not a singer in hindsight we would really want to be associated with!

Back
Top Bottom