General Club shop to close...

Sarge

God like member
in the Covered Market. Change of terms/leaseholder see the city centre 'outlet' closing on March 16th. OWS ....

Would anyone notice if the Covered Market went? Surely most pedestrian traffic in Oxford has an epicentre around the Westgate nowadays.

A city centre shop was called for for years from fans and yet it ended up being underused. Use it or lose it, I’m afraid.

Will anyone notice?
Most unlikely. Comments on here have hardly been enthusiastic. I wonder if the club have looked at a concession within one of the larger department stores? Alternatively, how about getting some of the sports good stores in the county to take a small representation of the offerings? Sale or return initially with a commission to the vendor. Would make a change to see OUFC alongside the usual Premiershite selection.

Would anyone notice if the Covered Market went? Surely most pedestrian traffic in Oxford has an epicentre around the Westgate nowadays.

Another slice of unique Oxford character dying. There'll only be Morse and Tolkien left soon.

A city centre shop was called for for years from fans and yet it ended up being underused. Use it or lose it, I’m afraid.
I tried to use it on a number of occasions and found wanting on each occasion.

Isn’t having a shop (outside of matchdays) a bit pointless now, no matter where you put it online is so dominant in retail now that getting the website and sending out of orders right is far more important, a table outside the Kassam on match days is enough of a physical presence.

A s**t shop with nothing in it in a dead retail space, who would have thought it :rolleyes:

We wanted a city centre shop but it was a tin pot effort at best!

You see those pop up calendar shops in shopping centres, why do they not look at that, or all those empty units in the clarendon centre, least there is some foot fall there.

If only we had some merchandise to sell I guess..

A s**t shop with nothing in it in a dead retail space, who would have thought it :rolleyes:

We wanted a city centre shop but it was a tin pot effort at best!

You see those pop up calendar shops in shopping centres, why do they not look at that, or all those empty units in the clarendon centre, least there is some foot fall there.

If only we had some merchandise to sell I guess..
The club has never been able to make a shop economically viable. I guess that there would need to be enough incremental sales from mainly non supporters.
It sounds as if costs are still far too high.
As somebody else suggested with the internet sales growing so much it is hardly a surprise. Getting other retailers to stock oufc product maybe is an option ?

and Lewis, Caroll, CS and Morse's bagman ;)
Don't forget Harry potter - nothing to do with Oxford, but that hasn't stopped potteresque shops popping up has it?

BTW - there is a large gap on one side of cornmarket at the moment with one of the colleges building something new, but can someone remind me what shop/shops used to be in that space?

I can't remember where I was recently but I went into a Sports Direct for a quick mooch and they were selling local Championship club kits. Why can we not just have one or two rails in JD Sports in town or something?? Surely that's economical for both parties - the rail might be a slight loss leader for us but the advert for the club could be really tidy and professional.

While we're at it why don't we have a few billboards in decent locations around the county?

These are all quite reasonably priced options. People need to see us if they're going to come to the games.

Don't forget Harry potter - nothing to do with Oxford, but that hasn't stopped potteresque shops popping up has it?

BTW - there is a large gap on one side of cornmarket at the moment with one of the colleges building something new, but can someone remind me what shop/shops used to be in that space?

What? No Harry Potter connection? I'll have you know at least TWO scenes from the seven films were filmed in Oxford. :LOL:
In answer to the question, Carphone warehouse, Fatface, Next and whatever the old Zavvi shop was on any given week

Some sort of Card shop at one point, with Superdrug for many, many years, a short way up Market street, almost opposite what used to be the Roebuck pub?

Rather than having a shop in the city centre, the club should go down the route of getting sports direct to stock are kit in the Oxfordshire stores. That way we will reach out to a wider audience, 2 stores in Oxford, 1 in Didcot, 1 in Bicester, 1 in Banbury currently and maybe could even stretch to Aylesbury store and upset them noisy neighbours.

Some sort of Card shop at one point, with Superdrug for many, many years, a short way up Market street, almost opposite what used to be the Roebuck pub?

Superdrug and ladbrookes upstairs I think.

Certainly the way to go it looking at stocking products in other city centre shops rather than opening our own. There are so many more cost implications to having your own shop than just paying rent and buying stock.

Back
Top Bottom