Club meeting Kassam - 28th May

Will Ka££am actually be present and in the room or will talks be conducted by club and
representatives of Firoka?

Just asking.

Will Ka££am actually be present and in the room or will talks be conducted by club and
representatives of Firoka?

Just asking.

Sounds like it’ll just be Firoka which isn’t good if that’s the case.

Sounds like they’re trying to get some additional revenue via the bars and boxes etc.

Not sure that’s going to make a huge difference, especially in terms of our board members, but I guess every little helps.

I started to think that McWilliams had started to learn from last season's mistakes, after all, all we ever heard was apology after apology. Then he goes conducting his business, private and confidential OUFC/Firoka business (we want this, we want that), in the press. Very professional.

Sooner the Thai's replace him, the better.

I started to think that McWilliams had started to learn from last season's mistakes, after all, all we ever heard was apology after apology. Then he goes conducting his business, private and confidential OUFC/Firoka business (we want this, we want that), in the press. Very professional.

Agreed. Why is he giving interviews to the paper about this? If it's to try and put some sort of pressure on Firoka - we all know how that worked out last time! Of course, 'jaw jaw is better than war war' and improvements in the relationship between us and FK are to be welcomed, but we knew the meeting was taking place. Nobody is expecting some sort of sudden breakthrough, so keep it professional and try to do without the bluster.

Edit... interesting that re finding a new stadium site he says "... not real significant progress on that." I don't think we should be holding our breaths!

Last edited:

Agree. Daft way to conduct yourself. "we're looking to move but in the meantime we want to pay less, earn more (as in you earn less and we get it instead) And we don't mind telling the press that, before we tell you, just wanted you to know up front to save time"

Can't wait for the press release afterwards telling us how intransigent Firoka were and how inflexible they are behaving. "we tried".

Frankly, I am surprised that McWilliams is allowed anywhere near these sort of negotiations. But then, I'm also surprised that we bother dealing with Firoka at all, go straight to FK. Get a deal on the table. Talk about moving away, talk about a phased end to the licence, talk about an exit strategy. But, do it in private, no press release, no leaked information.

A bit like Brexit then! We move away quietly and don’t accept the horrible deal on the table.

We all know what the outcome will be. "Talks were constructive, we understand each other's concerns a bit better". In other words "as you were". Kassam will never change his stance. The sooner we get out the better. Move your a**e Oxford City Council.

Just read NMs thoughts on today's meeting. Not encouraging. In fact I found it all quite depressing. It was very negative. NMs 'negotiating position' is scarily like that of the fair Teresa....and look what's happened there. (Note: No mention of the B word)

Just read NMs thoughts on today's meeting. Not encouraging. In fact I found it all quite depressing. It was very negative. NMs 'negotiating position' is scarily like that of the fair Teresa....and look what's happened there. (Note: No mention of the B word)

Good lad, because if you do mention the B word. The R’s will be on to you.

Wonder if firoka....without our slum landlord at the meeting today....will respond to Niall Mc 's requests with 'we'll get back to you on that" ? :sneaky:

Most likely, realistic thoughts by NM though.

We need to just get out I think. Put it this way, we need a new stadium at some point because what happens when the lease runs out? Kassam will want to redevelop no doubt and we'd probably get tied into another rediculous deal at grenoble road if there is no other alternatives.

We need to just get out I think. Put it this way, we need a new stadium at some point because what happens when the lease runs out? Kassam will want to redevelop no doubt and we'd probably get tied into another rediculous deal at grenoble road if there is no other alternatives.

The worst that can happen is that we renew on the same terms. We won’t suddenly become homeless.

As I have said before we been a going concern since 1893 we need somewhere to play he's got us over a barrel !
All this custodian clap trap is just guff, even if the Thais stumped up the £15M he would probably say no as the rent for the next 25yrs is..........

What would make him twitch in my opinion is selling the land for £25-30 Mill or what ever it is worth with planning permission..
Work with him and bang on the councils door so a group deal can be arranged so all parties are happy..

Yes, it could be out of the fire into the fireplace but hey, we might get 4 sides out of it and a nice home vs that s**t hole! we are in now.
We are not in a situation to be fussy...

I wonder when we'll get to hear about the positive outcome from this meeting, what with FK being the custodian of the club and all that

has a figure actually been given by fk in the recent past to buy the stadium? There seems little point in buying a stadium or building a new one if the playing side is not going to be funded properly to try achieve the aim of championship football.
i've always maintained that the wider demand/interest in our club is not there, we play in a half full stadium as it is and rarely get anywhere near full so what's the gain with a 15-20k capacity that is 1/2 full. Would the small extra income from food, hiring out any conference centre really cover all the extra costs? one assumes ticket prices would be raised and how is that going to sit with the fanbase?

has a figure actually been given by fk in the recent past to buy the stadium? There seems little point in buying a stadium or building a new one if the playing side is not going to be funded properly to try achieve the aim of championship football.
i've always maintained that the wider demand/interest in our club is not there, we play in a half full stadium as it is and rarely get anywhere near full so what's the gain with a 15-20k capacity that is 1/2 full. Would the small extra income from food, hiring out any conference centre really cover all the extra costs? one assumes ticket prices would be raised and how is that going to sit with the fanbase?

So you would take short term success over the long term sustainability of the football club?
Ploughing millions into a football team to get promoted doesn't mean instant success and can cause detrimental long term effects (ask Bury fans who are currently watching their club die by the week).
Spending £15-20 million on a stadium and floating around league 1 is no bad thing. It also means that there is a greater chance that our children and our children's children grow up to watch the club their parents and grandparents supported.

Also you mention ticket prices but the club would hike ticket prices up if we went up to the championship so that would happen regardless.

So you would take short term success over the long term sustainability of the football club?
Ploughing millions into a football team to get promoted doesn't mean instant success and can cause detrimental long term effects (ask Bury fans who are currently watching their club die by the week).
Spending £15-20 million on a stadium and floating around league 1 is no bad thing. It also means that there is a greater chance that our children and our children's children grow up to watch the club their parents and grandparents supported.

Also you mention ticket prices but the club would hike ticket prices up if we went up to the championship so that would happen regardless.

of course not dmw BUT it is what happens on the pitch that brings the extra paying customer and sorry to say it but just don't see the interest from future generations in football in general and even less so at our level.
i also don't see any Owner current or future staying around, the majority of people involved nowadays are not football people they are businessmen in general playing around with a new toy.
i am also surprised that you see floating around league 1 as no bad thing, here i am assuming you mean being a yoyo club? what's the affect of championship players on higher money as you drop to the league lower how is that sustained or do you advicate selling players if that's possible again and once more starting again to rebuild as that aint working too well so far. not forgetting the lower gates as you drop down.
The financial gap between the top and our level is astronomical and will only get bigger, there are certain levels of genuine fans going to be lost to football very soon, there is a warning sign with the finance company exit as some fans wonder how they can afford to attend and these are your current fanbase.Very soon football will be for the more affluent.

Back
Top Bottom