International News Climate Change 🌍

And you're not, capitalist running-dog?

We are all capitalists like it or not. We have many things our parents never had, we don`t turn them down do we?
Its how society works, we don`t care about the impact on the planet when we are renewing our smartphone or buying our plastic wrapped avocado`s that have traveled halfway round the globe...... non-seasonal/exotic foods have a massive impact across the globe........ remember that next time you are in Waitrose... ;)

We are all capitalists like it or not. We have many things our parents never had, we don`t turn them down do we?
Its how society works, we don`t care about the impact on the planet when we are renewing our smartphone or buying our plastic wrapped avocado`s that have traveled halfway round the globe...... non-seasonal/exotic foods have a massive impact across the globe........ remember that next time you are in Waitrose... ;)
You might not think about such things when you are shopping or care about the impact of what you are doing.
Others do to one degree or another.

You might not think about such things when you are shopping or care about the impact of what you are doing.
Others do to one degree or another.

I do think about such thing thank you. I shop locally, use farm shops etc and eat seasonal food.
I avoid supermarkets where possible, walk to work and recycle everything we can at EY Towers.
We have zero food waste, use utilities carefully and rarely use the car.

What do you do? Thats what it boils down too, each one of us making sensible choices.

You're speaking for yourself only.

Really?
What was the last thing you bought?
Where did it come from?
How was it made & transported and where will it go when it`s lifecycle is complete?
If you didn`t need it you are a consumer and, by default, a capitalist............. can`t have it both ways.

If you didn`t need it you are a consumer and, by default, a capitalist.
Just because someone lives in a capitalist society it does not make her or him a capitalist!!!
A capitalist is someone who invests for profit, or who owns a business that profits from the labour and / or financial investment of others.

Just because someone lives in a capitalist society it does not make her or him a capitalist!!!
A capitalist is someone who invests for profit, or who owns a business that profits from the labour and / or financial investment of others.

Not heard of "Consumer capitalism" then? Started in the mid 19th century when they started feeding the consumers the message that they should purchase what they want not what they need.

Might be a bit difficult to grasp for the younger generation who have never wanted for anything but those at the top have played the consumer like that for years.

To address @Paul Cannell `s brief line.............. you buy something, probably imported and somewhere along the line all the folk are taking profits and you also profit from the purchase because you have what you want. Consumer? Capitalist? Same thing..... the denial that its "everyone else" doesn`t wash..........its "us" the population that are doing it.

Well that little diatribe certainly doesn't address my statement about words, meaning and your elliptical relationship with the two :)

Nor does all your rhetorical flailing about diminish the fact that each of us is responsible to some extent. And I don't need to signal my virtue like a Guardian-reading snowflake :giggle:

Have a gorgeous weekend.

I do think about such thing thank you. I shop locally, use farm shops etc and eat seasonal food.
I avoid supermarkets where possible, walk to work and recycle everything we can at EY Towers.
We have zero food waste, use utilities carefully and rarely use the car.

What do you do? Thats what it boils down too, each one of us making sensible choices.
I don't want to get into an 'I do more than you' competition - who can be the most sanctimonious is exactly NOT what this is about. Everybody doing as much as they can, and persuading others to do so, is the best that individuals can do.

But since you seem convinced that because we live in a capitalist society so we are all going to hell in a hand basket why on earth are you bothering? And why do you sneer at children who think that it's worth doing something themselves and are presumably at least making their parents think about what they are doing? Those two things seem completely at odds with each other.

Or (as I suspect) do you just like a good argument?!

@ZeroTheHero why am I bothering? Must be the Buddhist in me. ;)

Using a child to further the parents cause is tantamount to abuse in my simplistic little world.

Forums were designed for argument/debate..... bloody Romans!

@Paul Cannell ....................... I know the question you dodged earlier, was it too tough or hit home? I might burn some petrol and trundle down Saturday. Do my bit for Climate Change.
Enjoy whatever you choose to do..

Climate change has been occuring since the planet came about......The ONLY thing that we can do to help is to stop destroying the rainforests......THATS IT!! apart from that there is nothing we can do about it....................makes me laugh all the governments around the world listening to a 15 year old retard ...........tchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Anyway, a friend of mine works for a university team measuring the level of sea ice in the Antarctic using satellite measurements. Imagine my surprise when a visual graphic of the changes appeared on the BBC website, graphic by Fat Andy (if people remember him from the old message boards).

Anyway, a friend of mine works for a university team measuring the level of sea ice in the Antarctic using satellite measurements. Imagine my surprise when a visual graphic of the changes appeared on the BBC website, graphic by Fat Andy (if people remember him from the old message boards).
I do remember him. A really good poster.

Bit of a bland answer, were not all politicians young idealist at one stage or another.

If only the situation was that easy, maybe putting their luxury's away might help the climate.
Lazy response, and misses the point (conveniently). Listen to the sentiment because it is us, the adults, who have created and maintained the crises our young people are complaining about, And it is us, the adults who have indulged the 'luxuries' our young people have invested worth and meaning in. It is us, the adults, who have funded this dendancy so don't blame or demonize the young who are asking the questions we have been too complacent to confront. Our children are a product of our our values and principles, look at yourself before criticizing our children and their voices.

Back
Top Bottom