International News Climate Change 🌍

Show me where I mentioned Greta Thunberg, or flights, or how many kids people have...
This is what I'm talking about re how the data companies abuse the internet and social media to strengthen people's views. You've just been given a window into what someone thinks and has concerns about, to the point where THEY brought things up when no one else had done, so those keywords are now there to be exploited. The data companies just need to pump articles and memes based on these particular keywords to the profile that posts on these topics, and bingo. Position = hardened. Article about Greta Thunberg being a pain in the a**e, some bogus quote about population control attributed to an opposing figure, maybe some sort of story about air fares set to skyrocket because such and such is about to bring in enormous taxations in the name of the environment... that ought to do it.

I am beginning to think this little upstart (Greta Thunberg) really has forgotten her place. How dare she think that she know better than her elders and betters, and, inciting others to misbehave as well is just.....delinquent!
As for all this protesting nonsense, well what good has that ever done? After all, when has the peoples' voice ever made a difference?

No, I put my faith squarely in those who have the responsibility to ensure that our planet remains just the way it is thank you!

This is what I'm talking about re how the data companies abuse the internet and social media to strengthen people's views. You've just been given a window into what someone thinks and has concerns about, to the point where THEY brought things up when no one else had done, so those keywords are now there to be exploited. The data companies just need to pump articles and memes based on these particular keywords to the profile that posts on these topics, and bingo. Position = hardened. Article about Greta Thunberg being a pain in the a**e, some bogus quote about population control attributed to an opposing figure, maybe some sort of story about air fares set to skyrocket because such and such is about to bring in enormous taxations in the name of the environment... that ought to do it.
I can assure I had no thought of key words or all that jazz. I don't have the time to spend my life worrying about that BS, but it says a lot about you that you find a grand conspiracy where there is not one. Quite funny really!

.......is all this hot air influencing the icebergs GB? Time to step away from the minutie and focus on the broader non personal perspectives. Larger things are at stake.....

(not a criticism, just a hope that we all share the same concerns)

listen to the experts like Oxford United fan Professor Julian Dowdeswell, Director of the Scott Polar Research Institute who follows the yellows from Antarctica. "Listening to the match from McMurdo Research Station... One-Nil to the Yellows at half time. Got to go out on a snowmobile now. Hope we win!"
He uses a radar system developed by Cambridge University to measure changes in the thickness and volume of glaciers and explains how an increase in sea levels as a result of melting ice will have serious implications for us all.

watch the video.get your kids to watch it.

Last edited:
The scary thing is that most people believe stuff like this. Photo and video editing has gotten to such a high level now and is done with such ease that you can make anything you like, and even if you don’t make things up yourself nobody demands context anymore regardless. You can show whatever image you like and people’s own beliefs, opinions and prejudice will determine its accuracy and context. This is exactly why the data companies use Facebook to pump select images and fake news articles at specifically targeted people, which in turn sways the way in which people vote in elections or referendums. Again - and I make no apologies for saying it because the data is out there to back me up - older people are more susceptible to it. My parents (sixties) are prime examples of this. In their minds it can’t be fake or strongly misleading if it’s on the internet, because the news has to tell you the truth and it wouldn’t be allowed if it was fake. If it was a lie someone would get in trouble and they’d have to take it down or admit it wasn’t true, so it must be accurate. Any suggestion it’s blatant manipulation tactics or pure propaganda is just dismissed as conspiratorial nonsense - you’re crazy if you think people would do such a thing!

I’m all for the youth taking an interest in something so serious that will ultimately affect them more than anybody else, and I think with all due respect that unless they’re planning on doing something to help or educate themselves on the issues at hand, those who have already had their prime time in the sun should probably wind their necks in a little bit. This is their future.

I both agree with this (I too know lots of people like your parents, although also plenty of people in their sixties are sceptical of internet claims) and have a slightly different view. People like DickWalton aren’t open minded, blank canvases who see things like those fake litter photos and go ‘Ah! Environmental protesters are leaving litter, so maybe they shouldn’t be listened to as they are hypocrites!’ I can guarantee you that he won’t now, knowing that they are fake, re-examine his views based on the evidence. He has a view, and he will look for anything that might support that. (To be fair, are we all like this to some extent?)

I think denying the danger of climate change is an attractive proposition to people like him and Gary Baldi in the same way that some people like to claim that mass shootings or terrorist attacks are fake and ‘false flags’ - it’s more comforting to think that the world isn’t inexorably inching towards destruction, it’s a lot easier to sleep at night thinking it’s all a big conspiracy and everything will probably be fine, or to say that there’s nothing we can do about it as China blah blah. It lets you off the hook and you can go about your daily business.

.......is all this hot air influencing the icebergs GB? Time to step away from the minutie and focus on the broader non personal perspectives. Larger things are at stake.....

(not a criticism, just a hope that we all share the same concerns)

Good luck with that.

I think its both admirable and also kind of hypocritical that hordes of schoolkids are protesting and demonstrating about climate change

As I presume these are the same schoolkids who's pyjama-mammas run them to and from school, every day in their 2nd family vehicle, usually an oversized, four-wheel drive, gas guzzler? - which is both unnecessary.. and more significantly a contributory factor to pollutants in the atmosphere..... if said school kids decided to walk, or ride a bicycle to school, maybe that'd help the situation?
There’s not so much wrong with being a hypocrite if you are right. When it comes idealistic goals and major societal change it can be difficult not to be a hypocrite and still function, especially if you’re a kid.

One is a deranged, annoying, immature, spoilt brat who needs to shut the f*ck up. And the other is Swedish.

c2d772a7c0bb5036b958a291ac8693df

There’s not so much wrong with being a hypocrite if you are right. When it comes idealistic goals and major societal change it can be difficult not to be a hypocrite and still function, especially if you’re a kid.
Thom Yorke touched on that exact point on Desert Island Discs this week.

Might as well not bother then, and go back to their Nintendos.

Good for them showing an interest in the world around them instead of being more concerned with themselves.
So who are this younger generation blaming for the future that lays ahead for all of us, I was born in the 50's and was a 60's kid those days were pretty simplistic and we made the best of what we had, our parents had just been involved in a world war and they all did their bit to give us a better future.

Now everything is different for the young generation, "progress" in the way we live, our standard of living is better, more holidays, more cars, more consumables, a pre packed food outlet on ever corner, those little things stuck on children's ears to get them access to the world, push button shopping, the list goes on and on, how can you stop the world evolving to make peoples lives better as time moves on but say we are destroying the earth at the same time, where is the default line to say we have to live a certain way to make the future better for 100's and 1000's of years to come.

If mankind can't get the whole world to sign up and implement the changes judged to make a difference, then no matter how much we all want to have a better future for us and generations to come what will change.

So who are this younger generation blaming for the future that lays ahead for all of us, I was born in the 50's and was a 60's kid those days were pretty simplistic and we made the best of what we had, our parents had just been involved in a world war and they all did their bit to give us a better future.

Now everything is different for the young generation, "progress" in the way we live, our standard of living is better, more holidays, more cars, more consumables, a pre packed food outlet on ever corner, those little things stuck on children's ears to get them access to the world, push button shopping, the list goes on and on, how can you stop the world evolving to make peoples lives better as time moves on but say we are destroying the earth at the same time, where is the default line to say we have to live a certain way to make the future better for 100's and 1000's of years to come.

If mankind can't get the whole world to sign up and implement the changes judged to make a difference, then no matter how much we all want to have a better future for us and generations to come what will change.
Yeah, so don't bother doing anything, go home and play your games...

The only way things will change is to engage the young in politics, so when they are older they can try to go into positions where they can make a difference.

I really don't see where people criticising them are coming from.

Yeah, so don't bother doing anything, go home and play your games...

The only way things will change is to engage the young in politics, so when they are older they can try to go into positions where they can make a difference.

I really don't see where people criticising them are coming from.
Bit of a bland answer, were not all politicians young idealist at one stage or another.

If only the situation was that easy, maybe putting their luxury's away might help the climate.

Thom Yorke touched on that exact point on Desert Island Discs this week.

It’s a very convenient position for a multi millionaire to take so I can see why he would agree with it (he did once ride past me on a bike in Headington so he at least does something, although that’s the easiest way to get around Headington).

You can’t spit bile at older generations while using far more resources than those people ever did at an equivalent age, that’s ridiculous and pompous grandstanding which is all about looking good.

We now have to many people on a planet living beyond what that planet can sustain, short of a scientific breakthrough it’s hard to see a solution, I suppose we could always try a mass cull of people which I reckon that Swedish girl, celebrities and socially conscious youth would be up for if it involves killing white middle class men who voted for brexit, not certain that would be enough of a thinning of the ranks though.

I suppose we could always try a mass cull of people which I reckon that Swedish girl, celebrities and socially conscious youth would be up for if it involves killing white middle class men who voted for brexit, not certain that would be enough of a thinning of the ranks though.

Why wouldn't it be enough?

I keep being told it's a majority.

We now have to many people on a planet living beyond what that planet can sustain, short of a scientific breakthrough it’s hard to see a solution

Being serious though; some of science's more obvious solutions, such as nuclear power and GM crops, tend to provoke a hysteria in people which stymies rational discussion.

Lack of pragmatism is my main issue with the Greens.

Bit of a bland answer, were not all politicians young idealist at one stage or another.

If only the situation was that easy, maybe putting their luxury's away might help the climate.
Bland answer... Better than suggesting they all have it easier than I did so they should all shut up.

Back
Top Bottom