International News Climate Change 🌍

The problem I have with cycling to work (would be Bicester to Thame for me, so very doable, and even the shower issue isn't a problem as mum lives a 5min walk from the office) is the road system. I am not going to put my safety at risk on that route for sure. And there is no chance of money being spent to improve matters unless a lot of cyclists suddenly appear for that journey.

Sort out the infrastructure and I'd more than likely do it (or run it, either or)

The problem I have with cycling to work (would be Bicester to Thame for me, so very doable, and even the shower issue isn't a problem as mum lives a 5min walk from the office) is the road system. I am not going to put my safety at risk on that route for sure. And there is no chance of money being spent to improve matters unless a lot of cyclists suddenly appear for that journey.

Sort out the infrastructure and I'd more than likely do it (or run it, either or)
Once you drop off the A41 there are some lovely country roads to Thame.

Personally I find I pick up more punctures on crap cycle paths than I do riding on the road and generally avoid them.

Happy to go riding with anyone who wants to gain some confidence on the roads.

When will they address the global growth population as part of the issue to do with climate change?

There is only so much resources available on the earth, and I think the world’s population has doubled in the last 50 years!

When will they address the global growth population as part of the issue to do with climate change?

There is only so much resources available on the earth, and I think the world’s population has doubled in the last 50 years!
What do you propose?

How do 'they' address that though?

Everyone knows it's the problem...

Well you engineer a pandemic so you can use it as a cover to put chips into people via a vaccine, then at a point where enough people have it you set it off via a satellite and it causes those with the chip to turn on each other and kill.... or I might be mixing up a conspiracy theory with the plot from Kingsman!!!

How do 'they' address that though?

Everyone knows it's the problem...
The first time I became aware of - or cared about, to be honest - the burgeoning Third World population crisis was during my degree course in the mid-1970s. Some of the projected numbers were concerning even then. Improving medical care and better availability of food meant life expectancy was increasing and families throughout Asia, Africa and South America were becoming bigger.

As you suggest, the genie is well and truly out of the bottle. In the developed world more people want more things more quickly and more cheaply. We are the architects of our own downfall. In the developing world expectations of a longer, better, more healthy life are growing and are unlikely to diminish. Even the current pandemic is unlikely to have much impact on world population going forward.

Meanwhile, we all essentially don't give a toss.

The first time I became aware of - or cared about, to be honest - the burgeoning Third World population crisis was during my degree course in the mid-1970s. Some of the projected numbers were concerning even then. Improving medical care and better availability of food meant life expectancy was increasing and families throughout Asia, Africa and South America were becoming bigger.

As you suggest, the genie is well and truly out of the bottle. In the developed world more people want more things more quickly and more cheaply. We are the architects of our own downfall. In the developing world expectations of a longer, better, more healthy life are growing and are unlikely to diminish. Even the current pandemic is unlikely to have much impact on world population going forward.

^^^ what he said.

Planet’s fucked. Too many people using too much s**t. Locked into a global financial model (capitalism) that requires constant growth to avoid collapse, which means the population and in turn human consumption can’t go into reverse, so it’s a snooker. Game over.

Sorry, it’s done. There’s a reason that the billionaires are all playing around with space rockets.
51KM3A6AM1L.jpg
I remember reading this 20 years ago. 'Predicts' it all.

Last edited:

If I care about the population of poor and developing countries growing does it make a difference? I have already told them on here to pull out, not my fault if they are to lazy to come on here and read my advice.

Interesting…what about having enough farmland to produce enough food for the increased population in say 20 years time? Or other resources

And if the population were in double (14 billion) in the next 30-50 years, would the carbon emissions, plastics in the sea increase over this period too, thus not meeting the goals set to reduce them over this same period?

I guess we can stick our heads in the sand and not discuss it, but I think this (global population growth) will be the biggest contributor to global climate and it’s not even on the agenda!!

I don’t know the answer other than to restrict number of children per household (globally), also not sure what the rules would be around divorces etc e.g. would you be able to have another 2 children if one or the other doesn’t!, but think it needs to be discussed/considered.

Any family with more than two children are part of the problem. Discuss.

Unfortunately, as someone eluded to above, the world is one big Ponzi scheme, which will only avoid collapse if population and demand keeps growing.

If I remember correctly, I think China have recently lifted their restriction on one child per household to avoid the catastrophic effect of an ageing population.

Restrict birth numbers now, who the heck is going to support an ageing population in need of financial support and care?

To put it bluntly, we are truly fucked…. save the planet or save the aged.

As for me, no children, so obviously not part of the breeding problem. Bloody glad not to be bringing a child into this world to be honest. Given how fucked up it is, it starts to feel like quite a selfish act, leaving them such a crap legacy.

Actually, a lot of more developed countries (Japan, Italy, probably soon here) are struggling with the fact that population sizes are flattening and potentially shrinking, which is potentially just as problematic

Which one of the triplets would you drown?
I'd imagine they are few and far enough between to let them live. πŸ‘πŸ˜‰

The brave new compassionate world.

(I don't think I've ever met a triplet.)

Anyone who is truly passionate about the overpopulation argument can take one simple step to help.

Just make sure that step is more than 4 storeys off the ground.

We won`t need to worry about it.
Mother Nature will resolve it and she will be far crueler than you or I will ever be.

I'd imagine they are few and far enough between to let them live. πŸ‘πŸ˜‰

The brave new compassionate world.

(I don't think I've ever met a triplet.)

Me neither come to think of it, loads of twins but never triplets which makes me worry someone is actually drowning them at birth.

Back
Top Bottom