International News Climate Change 🌍

People have massively changed society despite it affecting economics of rich people a number of times in history. Why not now? (Slavery, reform acts, universal suffrage, civil rights, national independence, CFCs). You know we don’t all have to roll over to this establishment s**t? We just have to choose what we want to change. Ironically I would have thought that would appeal to brexit supporters, but it seems like an opposing camp!

It’s a very convenient position for a multi millionaire to take so I can see why he would agree with it
His position was that his job requires a lot of air travel, and its profile from his job that has given him a platform to speak out, so a catch-22. He agrees with the hypocrite tag but sometimes you have to use the system to change the system, or words to that effect.

Bland answer... Better than suggesting they all have it easier than I did so they should all shut up.
Did I really suggest that? obviously an evocative discussion that can’t be easily sorted no matter what you believe the future holds.

Why wouldn't it be enough?

I keep being told it's a majority.

Because of all the people who have died off in the 33 years we have waited for something to happen, us brexiteers will be a protected minority if the cull doesn’t happen soon.

Bland answer... Better than suggesting they all have it easier than I did so they should all shut up.
I think you are missing the point, my parents were brought up in an era of global conflict, I was brought up in an era where it was more about sex, drugs and rock and roll, so I’m trying to see who these young people are trying to blame for possibly ruining their future, what generation are they attacking for their perceived failing of them, their own parents?

I think you are missing the point, my parents were brought up in an era of global conflict, I was brought up in an era where it was more about sex, drugs and rock and roll, so I’m trying to see who these young people are trying to blame for possibly ruining their future, what generation are they attacking for their perceived failing of them, their own parents?
Do they have to be 'blaming' anyone? Can't they just be saying 'it's wrong as it is, we need to change things'? Climate change is happening, why shouldn't the young have an interest in it?

No point blaming anyone for past actions, the present is a different matter entirely.

i say good on the yoof for standing up and fighting for something. too much apathy these days

Do they have to be 'blaming' anyone? Can't they just be saying 'it's wrong as it is, we need to change things'? Climate change is happening, why shouldn't the young have an interest in it?
I applaud their intentions, but getting enough changed to make an impact is all about changing the mentality of governments around the world.

People have massively changed society despite it affecting economics of rich people a number of times in history. [examples] (Slavery, reform acts, universal suffrage, civil rights, national independence, CFCs).

None of the examples you give have changed the economic state of the vast majority of rich people at all, as far as I'm aware. They're pretty adaptable.

In a sense the solution offered by the people who own things is simple: they push out enough propaganda and fake information so they have time to move upland to gated communities and secure their supply chains.

In the western world this is easy since it's human nature to fear losing what you have more than pretty much anything else (studies prove) so any message that says you'll lose your privileges (car, holidays, heating, electric conveniences...) provokes an immediate knee-jerk, which goes in 2 directions: resisting any change that would reduce one's comfort and demonising anyone who suggests that comfort should be reduced or threatens it.

So the middling class of people and the old, who have benefited most from the crumbs from the masters' table (and have least to lose if the world ends next week) resist hardest.

Perhaps the kids should turn their iPods into ploughshares as a first step to turning them into weapons - if they don't we old fuckers will P**s the world away from under their feet.

I applaud their intentions, but getting enough changed to make an impact is all about changing the mentality of governments around the world.
Indeed - and what can populations do apart from making what (perhaps small) changes they can make personally and putting pressure on their own governments, both to take action themselves and to pressure other governments when and where possible? That is of course more possible in some countries than others, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't try.

And instead of sneering at school kids (not you specifically LR) and picking holes in what they do, people should actually have a bit of a think about their own actions and how their collective mindset is going to affect the lives of their children and grandchildren.

I shall now get into my petrol burning car to go to the match tonight!

Increasing global population and increasing wealth/consumerism is what`s doing it.

This protesting kids are the same ones driven to school every morning by mummy in the 2.0ltr 4x4, messaging their mates on i-phones etc......... then complaining about climate change.....

If they want to start something make it a walk to school campaign............

Increasing global population and increasing wealth/consumerism is what`s doing it.

This protesting kids are the same ones driven to school every morning by mummy in the 2.0ltr 4x4, messaging their mates on i-phones etc......... then complaining about climate change.....

Another cynical view with throwaway comments added for no reason.

Another cynical view with throwaway comments added for no reason.

Tell me I`m wrong then?
Increasing global population? âś…
Increasing wealth? âś…
Consumerism (growth of)? âś…

Ever passed a local school at the start or the end of the day? What percentage are walking/cycling/using public transport? I bet its far less than 30%.

"We" all do it then wring our hands about the consequences, but we won`t change because that means giving up things we like such as convenience and luxury. And neither will Greta when she grows up and stops being used.

Tell me I`m wrong then?
Increasing global population? âś…
Increasing wealth? âś…
Consumerism (growth of)? âś…

Ever passed a local school at the start or the end of the day? What percentage are walking/cycling/using public transport? I bet its far less than 30%.

"We" all do it then wring our hands about the consequences, but we won`t change because that means giving up things we like such as convenience and luxury. And neither will Greta when she grows up and stops being used.
You are wrong the way you put it. Not every child is driven to school in a 4x4 (some are for sure). And even if they are, doesn't mean the kids can't have an opinion.

I believe little will change as a result of their protest, but bloody good on them for getting off their backsides and trying, despite a lot of negative cynical moaning from older generations. And good for them for engaging with politics.

The amount of carbon produced by an individual is trivial. Obviously everyone should do what they can to reduce their carbon footprint but it’s the amount produced by the fossil fuel industry, that is killing the planet.

Jeez. Sometimes reading this forum’s like watching a game of reactionary bingo.

Back
Top Bottom