International News Climate Change 🌍

To you mean like COVID-19?

Nope, plenty worse than that.

We are a species that can easily be wiped out.

Climate change, or the consequences of it, could be far worse in 50 years' time as the population continues to increase and consume whilst the basics such as food and water become less available on a global scale.

That leads to famine, migration, unrest............. think Mad Max. ;)

Nope, plenty worse than that.

We are a species that can easily be wiped out.

Climate change, or the consequences of it, could be far worse in 50 years' time as the population continues to increase and consume whilst the basics such as food and water become less available on a global scale.

That leads to famine, migration, unrest............. think Mad Max. ;)
... we had him as oufc chairman for a while ... then one of his sons ;)

When we are studied as a people, we may go down as the most stupid of all gods creations.
The strapline 'save the planet' is not helpful. 'Save the human race' would be more accurate and may generate more urgency. If we continue, we will be cured like a disease. The planet will be just fine.
The place we all live on is absolutely wonderful. What the hell are we doing to each other?

When will they address the global growth population as part of the issue to do with climate change?

There is only so much resources available on the earth, and I think the world’s population has doubled in the last 50 years!

It’s not just population though. Its consumption combined with it. An African family of eight that doesn’t travel too far, farms a small patch of land and aspires for little else has a minor footprint compared to the car owning, flight taking, consumerist family of five in the west. The planet could cope with more people on it if everyone kept things local and didn’t overconsume. The genie is out of the bottle though now though. The world is truly open to us in the west and we exploit it for all its worth. Myself included.

I’ve seen a lot of responses on here that suggest there is one key thing we can change that may impact climate change. Capitalism, China, meat eating, flights, cars, public transport, fossil fuels and so on. All of these things need addressing and that’s why I suggested a marginal gains approach across all areas back in this thread. From the individual to national governments, if everyone did five things better for addressing the climate crisis, that would add up to a collective whole.

At present, it’s kicking the can down the road and it’ll take some drastic thinking to make sure that this ends up ok for humankind.

We've had three lockdowns over 16 months in the UK - vastly less traffic on the roads, ditto flights, until relatively recently for the most of that time ... yet the tree huggers claim climate change has worsened? ... Im no expert (far from it) but given that emissions from vehicles on the road and flights reduced immensely, yet things apparently worsened during that time, maybe said treehuggers are being 'a bit economical with the facts' in claiming fossil- fuel powered means of transport are the spawn of the devil?

It’s not just population though. Its consumption combined with it. An African family of eight that doesn’t travel too far, farms a small patch of land and aspires for little else has a minor footprint compared to the car owning, flight taking, consumerist family of five in the west. The planet could cope with more people on it if everyone kept things local and didn’t overconsume. The genie is out of the bottle though now though. The world is truly open to us in the west and we exploit it for all its worth. Myself included.

I’ve seen a lot of responses on here that suggest there is one key thing we can change that may impact climate change. Capitalism, China, meat eating, flights, cars, public transport, fossil fuels and so on. All of these things need addressing and that’s why I suggested a marginal gains approach across all areas back in this thread. From the individual to national governments, if everyone did five things better for addressing the climate crisis, that would add up to a collective whole.

At present, it’s kicking the can down the road and it’ll take some drastic thinking to make sure that this ends up ok for humankind.

The problem is that the powers that be want to bring that African family of eight up to our consumerist level because there is £££££ to be made.
Equally, they don`t want our consumption to decrease for the same reasons.

I`m happy with our households impact on the planet, we are considerate and measured about it so do our bit.

Getting everyone to do the same will be a long slog of education...... and an immediate ban on the sale of avocado`s 🥑🥑🥑

We've had three lockdowns over 16 months in the UK - vastly less traffic on the roads, ditto flights, until relatively recently for the most of that time ... yet the tree huggers claim climate change has worsened? ... Im no expert (far from it) but given that emissions from vehicles on the road and flights reduced immensely, yet things apparently worsened during that time, maybe said treehuggers are being 'a bit economical with the facts' in claiming fossil- fuel powered means of transport are the spawn of the devil?
What's the betting next winter being the coldest on record. Two years ago Athens was under a deep covering of snow. I don't see our reservoirs running dry. They did in 1976. The weather goes in cycles. It's all fake news. I must admit it's pretty hot at present in Southern Europe!

Well it doesn't happen that quickly! It's like a supertanker, you have to make course corrections *a long time* before they take effect. If we suddenly discovered cheap fusion power tomorrow and every person in the world switched over to it, the climate wouldn't have stabilised or corrected itself by Sunday ;)

When everything except "essential" transport and manufacturing all but stopped on a global scale, the recorded emissions dropped by ..........6%

Screenshot_20210810-070819_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210810-070819_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210810-070819_Chrome.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 2
It's all fake news. I must admit it's pretty hot at present in Southern Europe!
I refer the honourable gentleman to the cartoon posted by QR above!

If changes are made and all the climate scientists are wrong, we will end up improving things for the majority of the world's population.
If changes are made and the climate scientists are right, we may well have saved near future generations from (at the least) a much harder life or (at the worst) utter disaster.

Easier said than done of course when people (as a whole) are selfish and short-termist - with political leaders all over the globe embodying the worst of those traits.

Well it doesn't happen that quickly! It's like a supertanker, you have to make course corrections *a long time* before they take effect. If we suddenly discovered cheap fusion power tomorrow and every person in the world switched over to it, the climate wouldn't have stabilised or corrected itself by Sunday ;)
Possibly Monday.

Possibly Monday.

So the UK decides to have COP26 in Glasgow. Then realises there is not enough accomodation in the area for all attendees/workers, so hired 2 cruise ships to be docked there to provide the accomodation shortfall. However, the Glasgow port doesn't have onshore power provision for medium/large ships - so the ships will have to run their auxiliary engines the whole time to provide power for the vessels. That leads to an estimated 25 tonnes of CO2 per week per ship. Its almost like no thought went into the planning...

So the UK decides to have COP26 in Glasgow. Then realises there is not enough accomodation in the area for all attendees/workers, so hired 2 cruise ships to be docked there to provide the accomodation shortfall. However, the Glasgow port doesn't have onshore power provision for medium/large ships - so the ships will have to run their auxiliary engines the whole time to provide power for the vessels. That leads to an estimated 25 tonnes of CO2 per week per ship. Its almost like no thought went into the planning...

I wonder how many air miles were clocked up for all to attend.

I wonder how many air miles were clocked up for all to attend.
Indeed. With all of the experience of video meetings everyone has had over the last 18 months, it shouldn't have been beyond them to figure out some way of organising this in a secure, online way.

But then we are talking about the governments of the world, so perhaps we should not be that surprised really!

The problem is that the powers that be want to bring that African family of eight up to our consumerist level because there is £££££ to be made.
Equally, they don`t want our consumption to decrease for the same reasons.

I`m happy with our households impact on the planet, we are considerate and measured about it so do our bit.

Getting everyone to do the same will be a long slog of education...... and an immediate ban on the sale of avocado`s 🥑🥑🥑
The ban of Avocado’s what?

Sorry - couldn’t resist

Back
Top Bottom