Climate change, unequivocal evidence.

For me, the overwhelming evidence is that we are screwing up big time. And it's selfish and short sighted just to go on doing what we are doing because the disaster will *probably* happen after we are dead or hoping that if we cross our fingers it might not happen - that is a politicians' view.

And do you know what? If we cut down our wasting of natural resources and the scientists are all wrong (however unlikely that is) we will reduce pollution, plastic in the oceans, poor air quality, the amount of animal extinctions etc anyway - which (I think we's all surely agree) is a good thing. If we don't do anything and the scientists are anywhere near being correct, then we have doomed the race to a very uncertain future at best.

Of course, the tricky part is HOW to reverse the slide. Not using one use plastics, recycling and buying your electricity from a company generating it sustainably is a start (not much of one), but it needs governments to get together and do something concerted, big and now. In these days of increasing isolationism that seems unlikely. It is ironic that if there was an asteroid heading for the planet, I'm sure the world would get together and pool resources to do something about it. Because climate change is more insidious, it somehow allows people to 'deny' or just ignore it.

It is difficult not to be cynical about our chances or slowing down, let alone reversing, the fact (note 'FACT', Donald Trump) of global warming when the biggest consumer societies on earth are paying lip service to it and the biggest polluter on earth shows no sign of changing.

I always feel uncomfortable when western nations preach to emerging nations about how bad their behaviour is. How soon we forget that 200/250 years ago the UK started industrialising without any concern for environmental damage, yet we criticise others for doing exactly the same now. And yes, I do understand that the world is (or should be) aware of the consequences now, whereas in 1750/1800 the UK couldn't have been.

Nevertheless, the genie is now out of the bottle. Indonesian rain forests are disappearing because of OUR need for palm oil in virtually every product.

We CAN make local differences by reducing use of plastics etc etc etc, and every little helps, but the overall direction seems to be that we're screwed. Nearly 8 billion of us today, and increasing exponentially. Over-population was always the ticking time bomb, and that's not going to change.

(Written in a hurry and with no time to edit. :))

Tbf, when we had our industrial revolution, the impact on the global environment wasn't known unlike for the likes of India, China etc. Add into this the likes of China and India are simultaneously investing in developing technology in renewable energy sources.

Interesting in "Food Unwrapped" this week that American beef farmers were fed a vegan burger on their barbie and none had any idea and all said tasted great. If everyone switched as an alternative to meat burgers, and we farmed less livestock, it would make a huge difference in methane emissions and Co2 if plants were grown instead. Fact - just saying - yet we all sit around waiting for politicians to press the magic button and fix everything. We have become a greedy self centred society, believing we can do what we want, how we want, and when we want - and f**k anyone who says any different. The biggest challenge isn't identifying the reasons for change, it is re-educating the current crop of consumers, sitting in their plastic trash eating pizza, that the only way the world will change is if THEY stop, and think!

Yep. I did cover your first point, but let's give China and India credit for making an effort. I believe the USA is still the biggest consumer economy in the world? They have the political and financial clout to take a lead on climate change, but the current incumbent is more interested in bullshit internal politics.

I'm hoping the individual US states carry on doing the necessary work as many have said they will. The moron in the White House can't stop them thankfully if they do.

Taxing doesn't change our behaviour or buying habits?

The first example that springs to mind is the 5p charge on plastic bags thst had a big effect on the number used.

So we all get "bags for life"...... that the store replaces for free when worn out.... there is still a massive climate impact. It has just shifted and single use aren`t that bad..... how we choose to dispose of them was the issue.
https://stateofgreen.com/en/partner...astic-bags-are-more-environmentally-friendly/

Interesting in "Food Unwrapped" this week that American beef farmers were fed a vegan burger on their barbie and none had any idea and all said tasted great. If everyone switched as an alternative to meat burgers, and we farmed less livestock, it would make a huge difference in methane emissions and Co2 if plants were grown instead. Fact - just saying - yet we all sit around waiting for politicians to press the magic button and fix everything. We have become a greedy self centred society, believing we can do what we want, how we want, and when we want - and f**k anyone who says any different. The biggest challenge isn't identifying the reasons for change, it is re-educating the current crop of consumers, sitting in their plastic trash eating pizza, that the only way the world will change is if THEY stop, and think!

Another example of "hidden impact" is the vegetarian/vegan myth ..... better to eat a lamb chop from a farm down the road than an avocado from the otherside of the planet...
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...edods-protein-crops-jack-monroe-a8177541.html

Im a member of XR and frankly think everyone should be! If not someone with conviction to march, and be prepared to get arrested (prob not charged) then at least by signing petitions. Attemborough's documentary woke everyone up. Sadly the Greens havent got the gumption to adopt" XR - they prefer to flatline their pitiful support rather than surf on XR popularity (5,000 people a day signing up). They are a disgrace as an environmental party. Of course XR need to harness with a political party now to get the demands across. The government otherwise just spin rhetoric on how they have improved things and are committed to zero emisisons before 2050 nut it is too little too late and we all know they will kick the can down the road. Every one of us needs to radically change our consumer habits and those in the supply chain need to go plastic free. Playing European Poker Tour Monte Carlo Main Event on Monday - proudly wearing my XR "home made" recycles t-shirts

On your computer, consuming energy, supported by the very technology you object to the impact of?

"Radically change your consumer habits".......... unless there is a few quid in it eh?? Hypocrite.

I thin you are right about the gases from recent volcanos affecting temperature, but an ice age wold have developed if the planets came too close and all volcano's became active. There would have been darkness for years. leading to an ice age. Only those from the mountains would have survived and their knowledge remained intact. Luckily, we haven't had a catastrophy like that for thousands of years and the earth has healed.

I'm sorry but I believe that to be absolute and utter gibberish.

It would also help if people ate less Avocado as environmentally it is a bad crop. It isn't only meat production that is environmentally bad.

People could also do their bit by specifically making their gardens pollinator friendly by selecting many pollinator friendly plants instead of those that just look pretty like bedding plants. Or put an area aside for a wildflower patch (you can easily buy wildflower seed mix which is pollinator and bird friendly online) and allow an area of grass to grow long for invertebrates/Dragonflies etc.

Also, put in a Bee hotel (home made or bought) as it helps solitary bumblebees over winter plus if you can leave out a stack of wood to break down over time this helps other invertebrates. Bees and other pollinators really need the help and a wildflower patch is actually minimal effort gardening for good results (interesting flowers over spring to Autumn as well as for the pollinators) after the initial work.

The other problem is the disconnect that people have from their food.
As a kid we ate seasonal stuff....... and if it wasn`t in season we didn`t have it.
Now the "consumer is king" so you get food from around the globe, irrespective of seasons, irrespective of impact on the local environment where it is grown/produced.....................

A few years of post Brexit hunger might do the planet some good. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Scientific evidence is only postulating, basically best guess.
I don't understand your point?
This is nothing to do about the earth, it’s about mankind’s existence and how people think they can manage it.
Scientific evidence is postulating and what mankind can best hues on the short time we have been on earth, do we really know if there’s and answer or even if we are creating the problems ourselves, it might be even with our best perceived efforts it might all be in vain, will mankind cause its own extinction or a natural phenomenon cease it?

Science over the centuries has had the original thought process changed as we understand more today, the same might be said of today’s climate change.

I think mankind will cause its own extinction as it will outgrow the earth at the current rate, maybe more population control might help, but again does anyone know where mankind will end up in a 100, 500, 1000, 10,000 years time on this spinning disc of rock.

Yeh, but I like strawberries in January. Would you rather I go without just to 'save the planet'? Snowflake!

Imported strawberries are insipid, non-sweet and horrible things.............. grow your own, dig for victory!! :D:D

It would also help if people ate less Avocado as environmentally it is a bad crop. It isn't only meat production that is environmentally bad.

People could also do their bit by specifically making their gardens pollinator friendly by selecting many pollinator friendly plants instead of those that just look pretty like bedding plants. Or put an area aside for a wildflower patch (you can easily buy wildflower seed mix which is pollinator and bird friendly online) and allow an area of grass to grow long for invertebrates/Dragonflies etc.

Also, put in a Bee hotel (home made or bought) as it helps solitary bumblebees over winter plus if you can leave out a stack of wood to break down over time this helps other invertebrates. Bees and other pollinators really need the help and a wildflower patch is actually minimal effort gardening for good results (interesting flowers over spring to Autumn as well as for the pollinators) after the initial work.
Really great to hear that people here are doing their bit. Maybe move to France later this year. Small farm. Own veggies etc. More self sufficient and can watch every game live :)

Back
Top Bottom