Clap for Heroes is back

• Thread starter Deleted member 808
  • Start date
I think the person who originally thought up this idea has their heart in the right place but like taking the knee for BLM clapping on our doorsteps is a meaningless and performative gesture.

The first instance was great. Loads of neighbours who could only leave their homes once a day having a couple of minutes to chat and make some noise. When it became a weekly occurrence, it became downright Stalinist with neighbours shopping those who weren’t in attendance or condemning health care workers who questioned whether it was achieving anything.

Let’s face it - the NHS needs now and will always need more resources and the best way to offer that is to vote in a government that will fund it appropriately. As individuals we can live lifestyles and conduct ourselves appropriately to avoid finding ourselves in hospital or the GP surgery unnecessarily too. Clapping for a few minutes on your doorstep will help neither of those two things.

Yep totally agree with the above , it served its purpose the first time round but with the finish line in sight, let’s keep our heads down for a couple of months and get back to normal .

Was nice in Spring/Summer with a G&T chatting to the neighbours. Can`t see it happening in the dark when it`s Baltic out there.

Won`t be joining in, as above, the finish line of sorts is in sight, heads down and get it done.

It's an odd thing. I do agree with the tone of the original post - I'm not convinced this now actually helps the NHS, although one of our neighbours who is a nurse did really appreciate it first time round. It *did* also become a bit 'why isn't the family at 33 out clapping'!

But one thing it did do in it's later phases of the original - and would do again - is for us to be able to have a quick bit of human contact (non-contact!) with our neighbours, some of whom are quite old and vulnerable.

I think it'll be a *lot* more than 'a couple of months' before we get back to anywhere near normal.

The government: Lets clap to support the NHS! That’ll do it..

The NHS: Can we please have more money for essential services, and if you’re feeling generous, how about a marginal pay rise?

The government: Lol get fucked m8

I think that whilst they actually deserve proper support, the workers of the NHS deserve a bit of morale backing too. Recently we have had protesters inside and outside hospitals abusing staff, and NHS workers being abused on social media (anti-lockdown, hoax claining ****wits) on top of them being driven to breaking point during their long shifts at the 'front line'. Yes hand clapping means nothing in the real world, but however tiny the symbol it will be a small boost to those that need it.

I think that whilst they actually deserve proper support, the workers of the NHS deserve a bit of morale backing too. Recently we have had protesters inside and outside hospitals abusing staff, and NHS workers being abused on social media (anti-lockdown, hoax claining ****wits) on top of them being driven to breaking point during their long shifts at the 'front line'. Yes hand clapping means nothing in the real world, but however tiny the symbol it will be a small boost to those that need it.
Its really not morale boosting though. It’s another opportunity for virtue signalling and any self respecting adult that is on the front line, should look at this as a slap in the face when this government have cut the NHS, at any given opportunity. Our problems are solved because people are clapping on their doorsteps? It’s laughable. Yet another empty PR move from Westminster.

The government: Lets clap to support the NHS! That’ll do it..

The NHS: Can we please have more money for essential services, and if you’re feeling generous, how about a marginal pay rise?

The government: Lol get fucked m8

It will be effectively pay cuts for plenty of public sector workers over the next 3 years based on what this Govt has said.

Skip to 28:51 to see old Dommie talking freely about how they weaponised the NHS in 2016. He even uses terms such as “self-preservation” and “political smarts” in how they were using it to sway people, while freely admitting most people in the governing party don’t give a s**t about it or what it means to people.

Now think back to the start of the pandemic, when public addresses were originally given outside Downing Street in front of the window littered with children’s drawings with rainbows and ‘NHS’ all over them, and the fact that “protect the NHS” were the three words specifically placed smack bang in the middle of the slogan, and in turn were central when placed on the front of the podiums. When suddenly the government jumped all over the clapping movement and couldn’t say enough great things about the NHS that it never funded. And when they spent over a billion quid rapidly erecting Nightingale hospitals that have basically never been used, and were probably never even intended to be. It was just the sort of propaganda that even Kim would be proud of.

This is the thing with narcissists like Dom - they’re not actually very clever. He did this presentation in 2017 when he thought his political career was done and he was going to be whisked away to Silicon Valley and the world of big tech, and when he was all too happy to spill the beans and tell the world how smart he was, what a genius he is, how he masterminded everything and pulled off victories based not on substance or conviction, but on manipulation and a mindset of winning at any cost, regardless of what it did to the state of the nation or how true any of it was. So when he goes back in after this and is effectively in charge of government policy and messaging, he’s actually provided a handbook that tells people exactly what is going on. Because just like Trump telling people that voting is a waste of time as it’s corrupt, and then watching on with horror as they lose the senate because red voters don’t turn up to the polls, these asshats never think any further than their own egos. They constantly deal in arson, so it only makes sense that it eventually catches their trouser legs.

Basically, after everything that these con merchants have done to exploit and hide behind the NHS while running it and those who maintain it into the ground, the idea of clapping feels completely insulting not just to the intelligence of regular people who are being asked to take part, but to the people who risk their lives every single day on the front lines.

Scum bags.

Agree. During the last 'appreciation phase' a nurse at a local hospital suggested the clapping might offer limited moral support, but people could more usefully lobby their MP for better pay and conditions for NHS staff. Unbelievably, she was roundly condemned by some. A few even said they would no longer clap in order to show their disgust at her comments.

As you say, I'd wager many clap because it makes them feel good and allows their street to feel superior over neighbours who don't clap quite so loud.
I would also like to add that I think this is another example of how people are so quickly and easily manipulated by the government. Clap on your doorstep to support the NHS! Okay, Boris. Don’t worry about years of cuts or questionable use of tax payer money over the last 12 months; we’ll do our bit while you destroy the economy and strip money away from the essential parts of the NHS..

Sheep mentality.

Instead of questioning the real issues at hand, most people are more comfortable with getting on their doorsteps, clapping their hands so that they can feel like they’re doing something. It’s actually embarrassing for me to watch other grown adults behave in such a way. I won’t be clapping and I won’t be made to feel any less of a person because I think the whole thing is totally out of touch with the reality of the situation.

Why does it have to be one or the other?

Whilst of course the government’s treatment of and response to the threat towards the NHS is a disgrace, and they need to snap out of their deranged ‘tax the very people who save lives mentality’, the Clap for Heroes is a rousing, community event that brings people together, whilst celebrating not just the NHS but the other key workers who don’t get the appreciation they deserve.

And the fact that the organiser is getting abuse on social media speaks for itself...

And the fact that the organiser is getting abuse on social media speaks for itself...
Probably by the same tory boot lickers who say "I'd like to see you do a better job than the government!" And "just shut up, stop moaning and be thankful you've got a job"

Why does it have to be one or the other?

Whilst of course the government’s treatment of and response to the threat towards the NHS is a disgrace, and they need to snap out of their deranged ‘tax the very people who save lives mentality’, the Clap for Heroes is a rousing, community event that brings people together, whilst celebrating not just the NHS but the other key workers who don’t get the appreciation they deserve.

Is it really rousing though? Standing outside in the middle of January to clap for people who are, whether we like it or not, completely strangers. They don’t know if we’re doing it or not, and truth be told, I don’t think they really care. To me, it’s an empty sentiment that actually does nothing other than make those that are clapping, feel like a virtuous beacon of the governments PR machine..

Last edited:
I know nowt about politics (or anything to be honest!), but it seems to me that round and round and round we go. Torys cut public expenditure to balance the books at the expense of the less well off - Labour break the bank on public services to appease the less well off and runs out of money, SO, the Torys have to........

My only solace is that I'd like to think we'd never elect someone on the basis of their TV appearances.......Oh!

Stony silence round here........ mind you it is -4 and baltic out there.**

** factual observation when putting the bin out & 7 bags of recycling. ;)

Back
Top Bottom