Champions League Citeh banned and fined

Fined £25miillion and banned from Champions League etc for 2 seasons- for financial irregularities

Which is a surprise of sorts, with the spending power Citeh have at their disposal

as for the fine, £25million- which could fund OUFC in the championship for 3 seasons Id guess?- a 'proper' fine imposed by Uefa .... not that the toothless FA will take any notice!

I can't help thinking that even when some of the 'richest' clubs in the world (through the TV money) are reduced to fudging the books to conceal huge subsidies from their owners, the whole Prem edifice is so rotten that the sooner it collapses the better. Financial fair play my a**e.

Not that UEFA are much better...

Last edited:
as for the fine, £25million- which could fund OUFC in the championship for 3 seasons Id guess?- a 'proper' fine imposed by Uefa .... not that the toothless FA will take any notice!

And actually, from a financial perspective, the fine is only the thin end of the wedge.
From recent estimates, a run to the knockout stages of the Champions League is likely worth upwards of £70m.
Two of those, plus the fine, and it's probably worth something of the order of £200m to Man City.

Like most everyone else, I fully expect this punishment to be quashed or at least substantially reduced on appeal.

But I hope not. Especially if it means someone else (like Sheffield United. Or Wolves. Or even Everton) might be more likely to get a shot at the Champions League.

There’s a good article on the athletic (sorry it’s what I read) about possibilities for the future of European club football.

The big Italian and Spanish clubs want more games for more tv money. But the 20 premier league teams don’t want a breakaway because that would cause an even bigger financial division between a steady top 4 and the rest.

There’s a good article on the athletic (sorry it’s what I read) about possibilities for the future of European club football.

The big Italian and Spanish clubs want more games for more tv money. But the 20 premier league teams don’t want a breakaway because that would cause an even bigger financial division between a steady top 4 and the rest.

You could see the "big six" breaking away to join the League of Europe and leaving the rest of the Prem. The African, Indian and Asian fans would pay big money for that stuff.

Perhaps that would be a good thing though, removing some of the big money from English football.

Had a chat with a mate of mine this morning about this. Said they aren't surprised as UEFA have had a hard on for City for a while, but stinks of hypocrisy considering what clubs like Real and PSG get away with. Reckons it will ultimately be a season ban, which they are happy to accept just to move on, but concerned it will be the thin end of the wedge for UEFA as it sounds like the Owners are going not to take it on the chin.

Given City get picked on and PSG don’t I reckon you can guess who pays higher bribes out of Qataris and Abu Dhabi’s, staggering hypocrisy from UEFA considering the stink over the Qatar World Cup.

No way are PSG not cooking the books, the french league tv deal doesn’t pay what the prem does.

PSG paid £300m for players in the French league whose revenues are not near the Premier League and were ok FFP - seems fishy to many! Also, the case of Real and the loan from the local council that was never repaid. It will be interesting to see the impact this as todays papers are of the tone of that the Sheikh won't take this lying down.

PSG paid £300m for players in the French league whose revenues are not near the Premier League and were ok FFP - seems fishy to many! Also, the case of Real and the loan from the local council that was never repaid. It will be interesting to see the impact this as todays papers are of the tone of that the Sheikh won't take this lying down.

Can’t really blame him, pretty obvious city bent the rules but so have others, City’s owners (allegedly) don’t pay the bribes that the Qataris do, UEFA have essentially punished city for not bribing them.

The big clubs in Europe are pretty jealous of the PL where there is such huge money.
A European league would even things up a little.
The PL clubs even the big 4/6 have no real reason to go along with this but I reckon inevitable in the end.

The big clubs in Europe are pretty jealous of the PL where there is such huge money.
A European league would even things up a little.
The PL clubs even the big 4/6 have no real reason to go along with this but I reckon inevitable in the end.

shame it's not jealousy of ability rather than financial but that's the way the game has been allowed to go.

Back
Top Bottom