Other - Rest of the World Christian Erikson incident

I actually agree with that R.E isn’t really teaching you anything but first aid could save a life

I’m a fully paid up atheist and humanist and absolutely should RE be taught. No matter how whacky and ridiculous I find the views of the faithful, to deny young people the chance to understand what some people believe, how they practice it and why they believe it is to train a generation ignorant of vast swathes of humanity. You don’t have to like it but it’s important to know what and how all religions promote and practice.

First aid is often taught in basic terms. The issue for me is retaining the knowledge. It’s a course that needs topping up every few years or so. There are some people in my workplace who do refresher courses every few years. Teaching it as a one off in schools isn’t enough as that knowledge will be lost without regular retraining.

First aid is often taught in basic terms. The issue for me is retaining the knowledge. It’s a course that needs topping up every few years or so. There are some people in my workplace who do refresher courses every few years. Teaching it as a one off in schools isn’t enough as that knowledge will be lost without regular retraining.
The refresher part is essential. During my time with the ambulance service I had to have annual refresher courses alongside new techniques and other skillsets. Even when I came off road it was still desirable that all staff could perform basic first aid which included CPR. I was fortunate to have advanced to more involved first aid but without the refresh courses, I would not feel confident in using those skills. However, basic CPR remains ingrained and is something everyone should at least know about if not be familiar with the process.

Will he play again? Fabrice Muamba stopped and quite rightly so
It depends, there are few possibilities either he has undiagnosed heart rhythm disorder, heart muscle disease or ruptured of soft plaque in his coronary artery causing cardiac arrest. We have to wait for his final medical report assessment.

Many streets and roads in the Netherlands have a defib unit hanging on a house for immediate use. I, and several neighbours recieved training direct after installation in our street. Definately good knowledge to have.

Found this for OX postcodes which looks useful as an info source for local defib units:

Also this:

He's going to have an ICD fitted, means his football career is over.

Is that the case? That article also says "Eriksen's former Ajax team-mate Daley Blind, who is representing Netherlands at Euro 2020, has also been fitted with an ICD after being diagnosed with heart muscle inflammation in 2019." So obviously having such a device fitted does not mean an end to playing football?

Is that the case? That article also says "Eriksen's former Ajax team-mate Daley Blind, who is representing Netherlands at Euro 2020, has also been fitted with an ICD after being diagnosed with heart muscle inflammation in 2019." So obviously having such a device fitted does not mean an end to playing football?
I have seen a mix of "safe" and "unsafe" to play with these, surely his life is not worth the risk?

I have seen a mix of "safe" and "unsafe" to play with these, surely his life is not worth the risk?
I agree, but I'd suppose it would depend on what medical advice he gets. I was just pointing out that another player currently playing for his country in the Euros has the same device so it's not a foregone conclusion that he will retire.

I have a friend here who suffered the same as Erikson while doing his daily 5k run. A woman passing by kept pumping him until the ambulance arrived. He lay in hospital for 3 months. He has an ICD implanted and after 2 years he began running again and later he resumed playing tennis. With good care and some luck anything is possible.
Maybe he is an exception to the rule but returning to sport can be done.
Also he no longer has to go through the scanners at airports. Not sure if that is positive.

As a team mate you’d s**t yourself every time he went down, great player surely he’s made enough money not to take the gamble.

I have a friend here who suffered the same as Erikson while doing his daily 5k run. A woman passing by kept pumping him until the ambulance arrived. He lay in hospital for 3 months. He has an ICD implanted and after 2 years he began running again and later he resumed playing tennis. With good care and some luck anything is possible.
Also he no longer has to go through the scanners at airports. Not sure if that is positive.
What a service, nearly died a happy man!

As a team mate you’d s**t yourself every time he went down, great player surely he’s made enough money not to take the gamble.
He’ll get a very large payout from his players’ insurance if he’s forced to retire. Must be hellish for Daley Blind’s family watching him play every week, regardless of the fact that he’s fitted with the ICD.

Blimey, good to hear he's doing OK.

I guess the difference being that top-level sport puts more demands on the body. I'd be surprised if he played again, and the insurance costs should he decide to play on would be steep.