Other - Rest of the World Christian Erikson incident

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
Thought this is worthy of its own thread, woke up this morning still absolutely amazed at what happened yesterday afternoon. When he left the EPL I was gutted, he's a quality player.

The quick reaction from the Denmark captain to get his airway clear and the quick medical response was the difference between life and death and between this tournament possibly being cancelled or a delay of weeks.

I for one thought it was certainly going to be a very bad outcome, it's not everyday you see CPR being given on a football pitch, broadcast to millions of viewers world wide.

It makes me think of this was to happen in the lower league's of the football world, would we have the same outcome? Would the necessary aid be readily available so quickly?

So relieved he's ok.

Thought this is worthy of its own thread, woke up this morning still absolutely amazed at what happened yesterday afternoon. When he left the EPL I was gutted, he's a quality player.

The quick reaction from the Denmark captain to get his airway clear and the quick medical response was the difference between life and death and between this tournament possibly being cancelled or a delay of weeks.

I for one thought it was certainly going to be a very bad outcome, it's not everyday you see CPR being given on a football pitch, broadcast to millions of viewers world wide.

It makes me think of this was to happen in the lower league's of the football world, would we have the same outcome? Would the necessary aid be readily available so quickly?

So relieved he's ok.

Yes, great to hear that he is recovering.

I'd say that any match 'big enough' that an emergency ambulance is required would have a very good chance of a similar outcome.

As I posted on another thread, we got the ambulance on the pitch for a 12 year old who hurt his back, pretty quickly. It was a wake up for the club that if there are 10 or so games going on simultaneously every Sunday morning, then it might be worth having some official trained first aiders on call …

This has got me thinking how important first aid is and whether this is taught enough at schools. I know most workplaces will have first aiders but I can only vaguely remember learning anything about it at school - and I'm 25 so it was only about 10 years ago.

I bet if you asked most people my age what the recovery position was they wouldn't be able to tell you.

This has got me thinking how important first aid is and whether this is taught enough at schools. I know most workplaces will have first aiders but I can only vaguely remember learning anything about it at school - and I'm 25 so it was only about 10 years ago.

I bet if you asked most people my age what the recovery position was they wouldn't be able to tell you.
I was thinking the same. Shouldn’t all 15 year olds have a full week of proper first aid, putting out fires etc. (Then the next week they can do elementary budgeting and how credit cards, mortgages and pensions work.)

Absolutely.

Wifey was telling me that everyone is taught basic First Aid in Scandi schools.

Is there any reason why it couldn't or shouldn't become part of the national curriculum here?

Yes, great to hear that he is recovering.

I'd say that any match 'big enough' that an emergency ambulance is required would have a very good chance of a similar outcome.
But do all L1, L2 and the national League have ambulances?

I definitely remember doing basic first aid in school, and I'm in my thirties. Should think it is more widely available to kids now.

As said above though, I certainly hope budgeting and other financial info is taught as a basic requirement as well.

But do all L1, L2 and the national League have ambulances?
I think there’s usually an Ambulance at the Kassam - possibly even in the conference days.
I’m not sure if it’s there for the players or because it’s a crowd of people over a certain size?

I think there’s usually an Ambulance at the Kassam - possibly even in the conference days.
I’m not sure if it’s there for the players or because it’s a crowd of people over a certain size?
AFAIK it is there primarily for crowd emergencies. The match cannot continue if the ambulance is not there, so for 'normal' player injuries that require hospital treatment they have to call another one to take them.

It's why the perimeter at the Kassam is so wide to enable emergency access be that ambo or fire. IIRC it was a recommendation from the Taylor report.
The important thing is that everyone should know basic first aid and with community defibs being more common where they are if needed.

We really shouldn’t have been seeing this live. For the sake of Eriksen’s privacy and out of respect for his family, they should not have continued filming once it was clear that his life was in danger (obvious very early on).
Why didn’t the BBC cut the coverage and return to the studio?
Because of this, the world watched on horrified as they heroically performed CPR and used a Defibrillator on the stricken player.

Thankfully, he was saved but there are lessons to be learned on how we act in these situations.
The ironic thing is that if there is fan interference on the pitch or a streaker or a protest of any kind, then they are quick to avert the cameras away from the scene.
But a player literally dying in front of the watching public, zooming in on him and his distraught wife is considered to be fair game?
Come on!🤨🤬👎🏽

A few years ago I did a first aid course run by the FA covering how to use the defibrillator in a football environment, the bloke who took the session was a advanced life support paramedic who was on duty at Spurs when the player collapsed, it was the level of support that was available in terms of kit and people who kept him alive, plus there was a cardiac consultant who was a Spurs fan who went straight on to the pitch to assist as he could see that something was wrong immediately, the paramedics only stopped CPR whilst the patient was being put in to the ambulance, they kept it up continuously for nearly 90 minutes, great praise to the Danish captain for his swift action who helped saved his team mates life

I wonder what the life support provision is at the Kassam , I assume that there has to be a set standard

It’s the same when a player gets knocked unconscious, you should make sure the player is on there side, because there is potential for the player to swallow there tongue, as it can retract. Not always the case, but as a precaution! I think I’ve got that right.

A few years ago I did a first aid course run by the FA covering how to use the defibrillator in a football environment, the bloke who took the session was a advanced life support paramedic who was on duty at Spurs when the player collapsed, it was the level of support that was available in terms of kit and people who kept him alive, plus there was a cardiac consultant who was a Spurs fan who went straight on to the pitch to assist as he could see that something was wrong immediately, the paramedics only stopped CPR whilst the patient was being put in to the ambulance, they kept it up continuously for nearly 90 minutes, great praise to the Danish captain for his swift action who helped saved his team mates life

I wonder what the life support provision is at the Kassam , I assume that there has to be a set standard

I'll be very surprised if the club plan isn't as comprehensive as yesterday's based on the quality of medical staff/Club Doctors we've had in the club over the years and the links with the Oxford Hospitals. Tbh, I'd be surprised if there isn't a standard plan across the league which is based on best practice with only tweaks for individual circumstances of each club. I do suspect that this will automatically be reviewed due to the Eriksen situation regardless to ensure it remains best practice.

This provides some very useful information and help including location of nearest AED (automated external defibrillator)
If you have never experienced using an AED there are many organisations running courses. It is worth noting that the sort of AEDs located around the country are very much self explanatory and with a moderate amount of intelligence, easy to use. We are way behind other countries in this area and it this sort of event that highlights how valuable first aid knowledge can be.