Chris Wilder

Who would have thought that out of Apps and Wilder after we both went up that a few years later Wilder would be leading a club to the premiership while Apps would be a coach only

I think Appleton’s CV pre us is still held against him, it’s unfortunate as he is also a high quality manager. It needs a brave Championship chairman to look past that, then he will follow Wilder.

On Wilder, his chipiness is what makes him the quality manager he undoubtedly is. I am not that bothered by a managers personality myself, I don’t think I would of enjoyed the company of Ferguson, Wenger or Mourinho much but I would of been happy to have them at Oxford.

I think Appleton’s CV pre us is still held against him, it’s unfortunate as he is also a high quality manager. It needs a brave Championship chairman to look past that, then he will follow Wilder.

I don't think MAPP is that bothered about being a manager again, it seems he's always in the frame but never gets the job, but I rather think it's because of his demands rather than people seeing his chaotic career start. I mean the guy left us to be assistant to his mate, then left with a handsome payoff and did media. And him refusing that job in Scotland smacked of looking for a way out before he started.

I don't see the hunger there with MAPP, for whatever reason.

If we'd kept Wilder we could have been going to the prem lge? Somehow can't see that...

Whatever your views are on Chris Wilder that is some accolade to be voted Manager of the Year, by other managers from the Premier League, the Sky Bet Championship, Sky Bet Leagues 1 and 2 and the FA Women's Super League.

Below appears to be a list of current Sheffield United players who will still be on the books when the Premiership campaign starts. He has achieved it with an extremely small squad which has an interesting UK and Irish bias. Perhaps he does not like flying!

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2328

Whatever your views are on Chris Wilder that is some accolade to be voted Manager of the Year, by other managers from the Premier League, the Sky Bet Championship, Sky Bet Leagues 1 and 2 and the FA Women's Super League.

Below appears to be a list of current Sheffield United players who will still be on the books when the Premiership campaign starts. He has achieved it with an extremely small squad which has an interesting UK and Irish bias. Perhaps he does not like flying!

Fantastic achievement, looking at that list of players though a hard season awaits them

They will be favourites to come bottom next season I suspect.
I wouldn't be amazed if they did a Huddersfield first season in the PL and stay up or a Cardiff last season and take it to the wire.

So according to soccerbase, Jake Wright didn't even make a sub appearance for Sheffield United last season? Was he injured or just never picked? He played 22 the season before. Anyway, hopefully he gets a good promotion bonus as part of the squad.

Anyway, getting promoted from the Championship without the benefit of parachute payments and an ex EPL squad is a very decent achievement. Obviously it helps to have a couple of billionaire owners too. Did SUFC spend a lot on transfers / how did their wage budget compare? My point being that the measure of a good season is if they and the squad outperform expectations. Having the 7th highest squad budget in the league and finishing 7th is bang average for instance, as Chris Wilder might have said.

So according to soccerbase, Jake Wright didn't even make a sub appearance for Sheffield United last season? Was he injured or just never picked? He played 22 the season before. Anyway, hopefully he gets a good promotion bonus as part of the squad.

Anyway, getting promoted from the Championship without the benefit of parachute payments and an ex EPL squad is a very decent achievement. Obviously it helps to have a couple of billionaire owners too. Did SUFC spend a lot on transfers / how did their wage budget compare? My point being that the measure of a good season is if they and the squad outperform expectations. Having the 7th highest squad budget in the league and finishing 7th is bang average for instance, as Chris Wilder might have said.
I am not totally sure but I believe that they didnt spend much on transfer fees and their salary bill was at the lower end of the Division.

I am not Wilders biggest fan, but he did get us out of the conference at a difficult time in the clubs history. The same website shows the transfers for each season. It looks like he paid £4m for John Egan from Brentford and the rest were free transfers. I am assume the wages paid to the players were competitive for the division, to me it looks like the backing he received was minimal compared to other clubs in the Championship. It’s probably why he won the award.

What has he said about us since leaving? I’m not being antagonistic, just haven’t seen anything so would be interested in reading what he has said.

The only specific thing he did which annoyed me somewhat after leaving was the post-game chest thumping on the pitch after the Blades best us last season which seemed really unnecessary and ridiculous.

Would be interested in reading any comments however as, as far as I was aware, he rarely if ever refers to us.

In fairness to him, he does that after every game I've seen on TV so not aimed at us at all.

He has a brilliant career since leaving us. In addition to the promotions, Northampton were bottom when he took over and looked doomed yet he kept them up so comfortably they were safe before the end of the season.

As others have said, yes he's a bit of an a**e but he's bloody good at his job and the former almost certainly informs the latter so who cares?

In fairness to him, he does that after every game I've seen on TV so not aimed at us at all.

He has a brilliant career since leaving us. In addition to the promotions, Northampton were bottom when he took over and looked doomed yet he kept them up so comfortably they were safe before the end of the season.

As others have said, yes he's a bit of an a**e but he's bloody good at his job and the former almost certainly informs the latter so who cares?

Fair enough but others might have toned it down when returning to old clubs. I’m not bothered either way, but appreciate that it annoys some.

In terms of keeping Cobblers up, I believe it did actually go to the last day - when they beat us after Ryan Williams got sent off.

I think a bit of credit needs to go to Alan Knill. He seems to get the best out of CW and as a pair they manage to get very good results. CW always wanted Knill to join him here but for one reason or another it didn't happen. He joined him immediately at Northampton and they turned it around when in a bad position. They moved on to the Blades and they've never looked back. Who knows, they could turn out to be the new Clough and Taylor?!!?

I think a bit of credit needs to go to Alan Knill. He seems to get the best out of CW and as a pair they manage to get very good results. CW always wanted Knill to join him here but for one reason or another it didn't happen. He joined him immediately at Northampton and they turned it around when in a bad position. They moved on to the Blades and they've never looked back. Who knows, they could turn out to be the new Clough and Taylor?!!?
This is my view too. I think we provided Wilder with an excellent managerial education, on the whole I thought he was steadily improving as a manager, then left just before we could really reap the benefits.

But it is the partnership with Knill that really allowed him to step up a couple of gears. I wish them good luck for next season.

Signs a three year contract extension at Sheffield United.

Very sensible. Presumably on a decent wage for a Premier League club now. Sheffield United are odds-on favourites for relegation and so he could well be out of the door by Christmas if the owners decide he isn't experienced enough to keep the club in the EPL.

Back
Top Bottom