Ex-Staff Chris Wilder

“I think maybe the time was right as well from the supporters point of view, they needed a freshen up and a change. The team certainly needed an investment, which it got when there was a change of ownership, and Michael Appleton came in [as manager] and did fantastically well and moved the club forward.

“Oxford didn’t quite go the way I wanted it to but it was still a great learning curve. The people I met down there, the players I brought to the football club, and the achievement of getting out of the Conference which is such a tough division. The Wembley appearance with 33-34,000 Oxford fans and the last minute goal to win the game will always live with me. I’m proud of my record at that football club.

“I could possibly have done better in one of the seasons when we missed out but really I was content with my achievements there.”

Some genuine humility there which some have accused Wilder of lacking in the past. Time has been a good healer in this scenario.

“I think maybe the time was right as well from the supporters point of view, they needed a freshen up and a change. The team certainly needed an investment, which it got when there was a change of ownership, and Michael Appleton came in [as manager] and did fantastically well and moved the club forward.

“Oxford didn’t quite go the way I wanted it to but it was still a great learning curve. The people I met down there, the players I brought to the football club, and the achievement of getting out of the Conference which is such a tough division. The Wembley appearance with 33-34,000 Oxford fans and the last minute goal to win the game will always live with me. I’m proud of my record at that football club.

“I could possibly have done better in one of the seasons when we missed out but really I was content with my achievements there.”

Some genuine humility there which some have accused Wilder of lacking in the past. Time has been a good healer in this scenario.
Also this:

“It was a brilliant football club. It’s one of the things that really disappointments me because I left on a really sour note and it shouldn’t have been the way, in my opinion.”

On the one hand - it's a good article, and one of the first times I've heard CW speak publically and positively about the club, and certainly the first time I've heard him express regret and willingness to share the blame for the way things went.

On the other - is there a national newspaper or football publication that hasn't written an article about him in the past six months? How about some original ideas, guys???

Good outside bet for the Utd job - a bit like the next Lib Dem leader - not expected to win in the coming years - but surely would be able to consolidate Utd/hammer teams like Burnley and make the top 6

Good outside bet for the Utd job - a bit like the next Lib Dem leader - not expected to win in the coming years - but surely would be able to consolidate Utd/hammer teams like Burnley and make the top 6

Why in God's name would he leave the Blades...he's approaching Stonecutter level of worship in Sheffield and the Man U job is the most poisoned chalice around at the mo.

Why in God's name would he leave the Blades...he's approaching Stonecutter level of worship in Sheffield and the Man U job is the most poisoned chalice around at the mo.
Huh???
Seriously?

25m a year on a 3 year contract paid even if they sack him after 6m? Cmon. You are talking like he is a football man - with £70m in the bank, even Heisenberg stopped making blue meth

Huh???
Seriously?

25m a year on a 3 year contract paid even if they sack him after 6m? Cmon. You are talking like he is a football man - with £70m in the bank, even Heisenberg stopped making blue meth

Managing the club he loves - not sure it’s as certain as you say.

United? Isnt he at the second United (Sheffield) after THE United (Oxford)?

Huh???
Seriously?

Doh, thanks for the spoiler Falmouth Ox, I’m half way though series 5. ?

• React
Reactions: MJB
Back
Top Bottom