Chris Cadden

No mention of the involvement of another English club though?

Should that deal still come to fruition - as I believe it will, there is no way on earth that would have been announced today. In fact, we will hear none of that part of the deal until January.

Jerome on
I heard that by doing it this way columbus dodge having to pay motherwell development ££££££ dunno if true????
[
Jerome on Rad Ox said we were willing to pay Motherwell the compensation they were due for a permanent transfer. The way this has been done with the yanks, is the yanks don't recognise the compensation requirements so won't pay it. This means Cadden gets a larger sign on and his agent gets a nice cut too. The loosers are Motherwell who get nothing for his development since the age of seven. And us really because IMO although we have not paid a fee, we also now don't have an asset to keep our model going. Agents again by the look of things.

Fine as a temp move and less to worry about in the short term. Now onto the rest!

Definitely a player who is going to look to get forward at every opportunity. Had a good first touch on him and put a few decent crosses in, but delivery not quite right but that should come with Mackie and others knowing when he's going early or taking an extra touch or two. I wasn't as impressed with his defending, sometimes looked a little narrow or caught watching the game a little. Again this should come with a bit more game time. All in all, I'm sure he'll be a decent asset even if moved further forward with Long sitting behind.

Jerome on

It will go to FIFA for a decision I suspect as Motherwell claim Columbus are Cat 2 which would mean more would have to be paid than we offered, whereas Columbus claim they are Cat 4 which means they pay nothing.

Personally, I think it is laughable that an established MLS club is Cat 4 so I wouldn't rule out Motherwell getting a good chunk of change out of this. Otherwise, FIFA may find that a decent compromise transfer system (which it is after Bosman etc) is fatally undermined.

Is there a chance the whole Columbus Crew bit won't happen and is JUST ruse to avoid the development fee? Or that, at least, the CC element of the deal was specifcally orchestrated to avoid paying that. If so, it's not an action by the club I can be particularly proud of, and we can anticipate Karma biting us back sometime in the future...

Last edited:
think i’d be more worried had it been DC united cos of the ET link

So either we’re taking a player on loan until January (his new club is saying very clearly he won’t be here beyond then), who didn’t want to sign for us and who his new club have let us borrow almost out of pity (KR is the one who outright said that CC contacted us because they knew how much we wanted him and how hard we tried, bless our cotton socks), or this is actually some dodgy way to try to get a cheaper deal.

I don’t think either of those outcomes are particularly great. Nothing against the lad and I hope that for as many games as he does play for us in any capacity that he does tremendously well, but it’s either very dodgy or we’re merely so desperate that we’re willing to take someone on loan for half a season who didn’t want to be here.

suggestions that some dodgy deal done to avoid paying the development fee

They seem to think it's a deal we have somehow concocted to avoid the compensation fee... Maybe it is...

So either we’re taking a player on loan until January (his new club is saying very clearly he won’t be here beyond then), who didn’t want to sign for us and who his new club have let us borrow almost out of pity (KR is the one who outright said that CC contacted us because they knew how much we wanted him and how hard we tried, bless our cotton socks), or this is actually some dodgy way to try to get a cheaper deal.

I don’t think either of those outcomes are particularly great. Nothing against the lad and I hope that for as many games as he does play for us in any capacity that he does tremendously well, but it’s either very dodgy or we’re merely so desperate that we’re willing to take someone on loan for half a season who didn’t want to be here.
but surely he (Cadden) would’ve had a say in it. if he didn’t want to come here they wouldn’t have forced him and would’ve loaned him to another club. just hope nothing underhand has gone on that results in a fine

I think its quite obvious something is a bit awry (not saying illegal, just odd). Im sure weve dotted the i's and crossed the t's in our quest for a bargain.

I have sympathy with Motherwell, wed be fuming if this happened to us mind.

I can’t see how we’re getting blamed in this. If reports are correct, we agreed a fee with Motherwell but the player chose to go elsewhere. Hardly our fault if his new club fail to respect the rules.

Columbus can’t field him so look for a temporary home where he is wanted. I’m not in favour of his signing but I understand why KR has taken him. What are we supposed to do, turn him away because of a tiff between two other clubs? No, and nor would Motherwell.

Personally, I hope that MFC get the full amount and that MLS clubs starting acting responsibly but that’s not OUFC’s fight to fight.

suggestions that some dodgy deal done to avoid paying the development fee

They have no idea as we don't. A pointless clickbait article.

I do love the irony of the claims about a "nothing club" though.

They have no idea as we don't. A pointless clickbait article.

I do love the irony of the claims about a "nothing club" though.
hope you’re right and nothing of concern here.
i’m on the more positive side of things usually but this has been a rather strange deal, but as long as he performs on the pitch for us that’s all that matters

They seem to think it's a deal we have somehow concocted to avoid the compensation fee... Maybe it is...
I don't see that, we reportedly offered the correct amount of compensation and there is nothing in it for Columbus Crew to help us. Why should they? The odd bit for me is that Cadden couldn't agree a permanent transfer, but seems happy to join us on loan.

The Motherwell fans are rightly annoyed that they might miss out on development money. But he has signed for Columbus Crew and they the parent club have loaned him to Oxford.
Blame the yanks.

The Motherwell fans are rightly annoyed that they might miss out on development money. But he has signed for Columbus Crew and they the parent club have loaned him to Oxford.
Blame the yanks.
Perhaps his agent has said he will get a better signing on fee / wage by going to the US, and CC avoid paying the compensation. But medium term is playing in the US going to be good for his career if indeed they do recall him from loan in January?

Back
Top Bottom