Ex Player Chey Dunkley

MattyGreensLeftBoot

What a performance against Manchester city tonight. He really showed his class. More defensive clearances than the whole manchester city team according to the Beeb. Would we be in the position we are today if we had a Dunks in the team? Really Martin Williamson and Mous aren't in the same class or even close, would Chey get outmuscled like Mous does or lose an aerial battle like dickie did on saturday? Chey for me was very harshly treated by many fans (especially on this forum) being decent no nonsense defender and not always the best passer but since that yeovil match away was instrumental for the success we enjoyed.

Well done Chey it looks like he made the right decision in the summer and will get promoted and a decent cup run too!

Look at the Swindon v Oxford hi-lights and it shows why people were frustrated with Dunkley at times. Would have loved him to have stayed but his choice he left. No point thinking what if....

You can afford one centre back to not be the best footballer, we are a league one team, and he added a lot defensively that made up for any technical deficiencies.

Mousinho is much better on the ball but an awful defender, nothing really comes of his football skills but the opposition have got plenty out of the fact that he is easily out muscled and beaten in the air.

What a performance against Manchester city tonight. He really showed his class. More defensive clearances than the whole manchester city team according to the Beeb. Would we be in the position we are today if we had a Dunks in the team? Really Martin Williamson and Mous aren't in the same class or even close, would Chey get outmuscled like Mous does or lose an aerial battle like dickie did on saturday? Chey for me was very harshly treated by many fans (especially on this forum) being decent no nonsense defender and not always the best passer but since that yeovil match away was instrumental for the success we enjoyed.

Well done Chey it looks like he made the right decision in the summer and will get promoted and a decent cup run too!

Man City did have 82% possession apparently... might explain why he was so busy.

What a solid game. I do miss him, not only for his presence in defence but his threat in the box from corners. Scored quite a few headers if I remember correctly.

Good luck to him.

Chey was a cult hero here. However he did a hell of a lot of developing while here. Most people, I think, could see his potential. He is a better player now than he was with us, by the time he left us he was a better player than when he started with us.

Chey was a work in progress with us, we gave him the chance as a raw CB, we have never really had a settled back line and his frailties were exposed at times.
He's now moved to a better team with a better set up and team around him, he's now moving forward and getting better as a player, who knows where he will end up.
It looks like his agent got it right with his move, more money and a better more progressive team.

Man City did have 82% possession apparently... might explain why he was so busy.

What a solid game. I do miss him, not only for his presence in defence but his threat in the box from corners. Scored quite a few headers if I remember correctly.

Good luck to him.
Good distribution as well..........on the other hand, probably not.

Chey was a cult hero here. However he did a hell of a lot of developing while here. Most people, I think, could see his potential. He is a better player now than he was with us, by the time he left us he was a better player than when he started with us.
Cult hero? What planet are you living on. Could never work the ball out of the penalty box. Good as a stopper and the occasional foray into enemy territory, other than that not impressed. Also wanted out,. so not really interested.

Cult hero? What planet are you living on. Could never work the ball out of the penalty box. Good as a stopper and the occasional foray into enemy territory, other than that not impressed. Also wanted out,. so not really interested.

Being a cult hero doesn't always mean they were amazing footballers. More to do with wearing his heart on his sleeve while he was here.

As for wanting out, he wanted to progress his career and earn more money doing the same job. No different to many of our current team. Do you think Rothwell, Kane, Buckley-Ricketts, Ledson, Eastwood etc are here for the love of oxford united? No they came here to get consistent league football so they can impress and then move up the ladder. No different to Roofe, Lunny, McAleny, Maguire, Baldock, JJ Kenny.

Most footballers are in league 1 if they either at the end of their careers and on the way down (Williamson) or young players who are on their way up the ladder.

Unfairly blamed for a lot before he left, Chey was decent for us.
I am glad that his career is going from strength to strength.
He gave all he’d got for Oxford while he was here and left as a better player.

And Chey acted very responsible by preventing Aguero from facing certain serious disciplinary action

Last edited:

Being a cult hero doesn't always mean they were amazing footballers. More to do with wearing his heart on his sleeve while he was here.

As for wanting out, he wanted to progress his career and earn more money doing the same job. No different to many of our current team. Do you think Rothwell, Kane, Buckley-Ricketts, Ledson, Eastwood etc are here for the love of oxford united? No they came here to get consistent league football so they can impress and then move up the ladder. No different to Roofe, Lunny, McAleny, Maguire, Baldock, JJ Kenny.

Most footballers are in league 1 if they either at the end of their careers and on the way down (Williamson) or young players who are on their way up the ladder.

I agree. We all loved his Cruyff turns too!

I did wonder when i was watching last night whether Chey sometimes looks at our stunning season and the way we have gone for it all guns blazing, and questions his decision.

I concluded that he undoubtedly does.

Total nonsense .Is this a Dunkley love in. He is not in yellow any more, forget it.

I think if you read the comments again there is possibly meant to be a “not” in there.... as in Not a Cult Hero. I may be wrong but that is how I interpret it.

But you are not interested anyway so I’m not sure why you could even be arsed to comment in the first place.

Personally I don’t overly rate him and didn’t think he had a brilliant performance himself, but collectively they did well as a team.

Would I want him back? Not really bothered to be honest.

Good luck to him though.

Mousinho has always been a midfielder playing centre back for me. Round pegs in round holes and Chey was the roundest peg.

He left to further his career and replacing him was always going to be tough, but it was made more difficult by a manager who held a different footballing philosophy to his predecessor, who was perhaps naive to the demands of League 1 football. Dunkley wasn't the fastest or the most agile, but he looked like Lorenzo Insigne in comparison to our current crop of leaden-booted centre backs. We aren't a bad side offensively, but it is clear that our Chey Dunkley (and Curtis Nelson)-shaped hole in defence is hugely to blame for our inconsistent form this season.

Let's also not forget how much of a threat we were from set pieces with him in the side.

What a performance against Manchester city tonight. He really showed his class. More defensive clearances than the whole manchester city team according to the Beeb. Would we be in the position we are today if we had a Dunks in the team? Really Martin Williamson and Mous aren't in the same class or even close, would Chey get outmuscled like Mous does or lose an aerial battle like dickie did on saturday?

His legs may have gone now but Williamson made 130+ appearances in the Premier League. Chey might be the better player now but I would be staggered if he made even a fraction of that.

His legs may have gone now but Williamson made 130+ appearances in the Premier League. Chey might be the better player now but I would be staggered if he made even a fraction of that.

Fair enough i should say current class. For me there is no doubt that currently Chey is a much better player than Williamson.

Back
Top Bottom