Transfer News Ched Evans

Foley

So... I have heard very differing views on us possibly signing Ched Evans

Where do you stand?

This basically will come down to whether you think he is or isn't a sex offender, right? People will say 'he was retried, a jury found him not guilty on retrial, everyone deserves a second chance' etc, but the circumstances around the evidence put forward in the retrial were very suspect ("The main new evidence included was from other men who had had consensual sex with the woman, who testified that her sexual behaviour was similar to that which Evans described... The prosecution accused the witnesses of having received this information from Evans' defence campaign, and being motivated by the £50,000 reward offered for information leading to his acquittal" - Wiki). I am also highly sceptical of the legal principal that appears to have been used to achieve the acquittal, which seems to say that a woman cannot claim to have had unconsensual sex with a man (or in this case men) if she has exhibited similar behaviour in sexual encounters with other men. Surely every new instance of sexual activity must be treated as distinct?

None of us really know what happened that night, and, while I have general criticisms with how our justice system deals with instances of sexual offences, I suppose that isn't really Ched Evans' fault. It would be unfair to make him a scapegoat. At the same time though, is he THAT good that there really isn't anyone else we could go after to avoid this dilemma?

This basically will come down to whether you think he is or isn't a sex offender, right? People will say 'he was retried, a jury found him not guilty on retrial, everyone deserves a second chance' etc, but the circumstances around the evidence put forward in the retrial were very suspect ("The main new evidence included was from other men who had had consensual sex with the woman, who testified that her sexual behaviour was similar to that which Evans described... The prosecution accused the witnesses of having received this information from Evans' defence campaign, and being motivated by the £50,000 reward offered for information leading to his acquittal" - Wiki). I am also highly sceptical of the legal principal that appears to have been used to achieve the acquittal, which seems to say that a woman cannot claim to have had unconsensual sex with a man (or in this case men) if she has exhibited similar behaviour in sexual encounters with other men. Surely every new instance of sexual activity must be treated as distinct?

None of us really know what happened that night, and, while I have general criticisms with how our justice system deals with instances of sexual offences, I suppose that isn't really Ched Evans' fault. It would be unfair to make him a scapegoat. At the same time though, is he THAT good that there really isn't anyone else we could go after to avoid this dilemma?

Dilemma ? You can’t be a bit guilty. He’s either guilty or he’s not. If you think he’s guilty then your conscience decides whether you will support a rapist playing for your football team. If, like me, you believe him to be not guilty then you look at Ched Evans the footballer as being a sensational signing for Oxford United.

He'd be a great signing, however your opinion on him falls. If we could nab him on a perm that would show serious intent.

This basically will come down to whether you think he is or isn't a sex offender, right? People will say 'he was retried, a jury found him not guilty on retrial, everyone deserves a second chance' etc, but the circumstances around the evidence put forward in the retrial were very suspect ("The main new evidence included was from other men who had had consensual sex with the woman, who testified that her sexual behaviour was similar to that which Evans described... The prosecution accused the witnesses of having received this information from Evans' defence campaign, and being motivated by the £50,000 reward offered for information leading to his acquittal" - Wiki). I am also highly sceptical of the legal principle that appears to have been used to achieve the acquittal, which seems to say that a woman cannot claim to have had unconsensual sex with a man (or in this case men) if she has exhibited similar behaviour in sexual encounters with other men. Surely every new instance of sexual activity must be treated as distinct?

So did the prosecution prove the witnesses testimony was a fabrication and that she had received payment? If the witness did receive payment does it prove that the witness lied? We're the other witnesses answering the questions truthfully or making it up? if so did the prosecution press them on their recollections? The jury after reviewing the evidence or information decided that Ched Evans was wrongly proved guilty of rape on a retrial, therefore, we have to accept the decision of not guilty.

You are correct in saying the justice system needs to be examined in incidences of sexual assault. People's choices of promiscuity, meaning should not be judged. The circumstances here though are that when they are the only means to express the accuser's sexual habits, it can assist the accused in proving that there is reasonable doubt in the accusor's recollection of the event.

Yes none of us will know who was telling the truth, but as said Ched has been acquired of rape. Therefore, we move on, and hopefully, both parties can manage to do the same.

He was also acquitted .... from what I read he was originally convicted on the grounds that she was too drunk to be able to consent ... but was shagging his team mate at the time? Smells it does stinks in fact .... sign him on would be great

Guilty of rape or not the guy was in a hotel room having sordid group sex with a female who was so drunk she hardly knew what she was doing, while in a long term relationship. I’m no prude but it’s a shame that these so called role models act in such a way. I’d give him a bit more time if he showed some remorse for letting his family down and betraying the trust of his long term girlfriend - who has stood by him - with his actions, instead of trying to sue his legal team for loss of earnings.

None of us on here know what happened on ched knows that for sure. In fairness to the lad he has come back to football and kept his head down. Would be a quality signing in my opinion.

Without wanting to go over old ground relating to his trial again, I encourage everyone to read this. It’s very easy to fall into a few traps in relation to the trial to justify your line of acceptance or criticism of the defendant.

On a purely footballing perspective, I’m a bit sceptical overall. Evans’s first good season in terms of goal return since his release from prison. was last season with Fleetwood. Admittedly he was with a poor Chesterfield side before that and in a good Sheffield United team where he struggled to get a game prior to his loan move so chances were harder to come by. Is he still a force to be reckoned with?

Not sure myself.

It's a waste of energy getting upset at what hes done in the past, I only care about the now and if he is pleasant to oxford fans off the pitch and gives his all on the pitch then I'll support him. I doubt he'll become my favourite player but that's down to him to work on.

Tough one this. I’ll admit, I really didn’t want him here when the rumours were flying around that we were interested.
But things change, and I am fickle enough to see that we need a ‘f*****g goalscorer!!!’
His previous has been swept under a lumpy carpet and I am happy to walk on it so let’s get him.... We need him up front for us!

Guilty or not he is a horrible c bomb, so yes we need a striker but I would rather go after other targets. Plus since returning to professional football he hasn’t been as prolific.

Of course he smashes in the winner in playoff final we all go bonkers and shout his name in glory!!!

It’s not quite as simple as ‘he was found innocent, so he’s not a rapist!’ It’s not like he has now proven he was 10 miles away on the night in question and so wasn’t involved.

Both sides agreed that they had sex. The only debate was whether she was too drunk to consent.

I’m pretty confident that he’s not a rapist in the sense of he wouldn’t attack a resisting woman who was saying no. I personally believe the woman in question wasn’t passed out or saying no to him. However, he’s also clearly not exactly a nice, family guy - going out to look for women while having a partner, sleeping with someone his mate has just been with, etc.

Personally, I’d be fine with us signing him, but he’ll never be my favourite player or anything and I won’t be bothered if we don’t.

Guilty or not he is a horrible c bomb, so yes we need a striker but I would rather go after other targets. Plus since returning to professional football he hasn’t been as prolific.

Of course he smashes in the winner in playoff final we all go bonkers and shout his name in glory!!!
From a pure footballing perspective, 17 goals in 39 appearances last season in L1 is pretty prolific.
That suggests that if you give him chances at this level in a decent attacking side he will score (previously at Chesterfield who were relegated and Sheff U in the Championship)

Back
Top Bottom