Transfer News Ched Evans

Football wise - yes please. Better than I thought we would get and fits the mould we need.

Off-field - I’ll feel really uncomfortable chanting his name or celebrating his goals. He may have been acquitted but his behaviour before the trial and the means by which he was acquitted leave a really nasty taste.

People on both sides need to respect each others views if this does happen. Shouting “He’s innocent” at those of us who would struggle morally with him being an Oxford player is somewhat missing the point, and we have to accept that it’s enough for others.

Without wanting to go over old ground relating to his trial again, I encourage everyone to read this. It’s very easy to fall into a few traps in relation to the trial to justify your line of acceptance or criticism of the defendant.

On a purely footballing perspective, I’m a bit sceptical overall. Evans’s first good season in terms of goal return since his release from prison. was last season with Fleetwood. Admittedly he was with a poor Chesterfield side before that and in a good Sheffield United team where he struggled to get a game prior to his loan move so chances were harder to come by. Is he still a force to be reckoned with?

Not sure myself.

Good link, thanks.

It’s morally a very tough call, but the court found him innocent. Whether we believe that or not has no real bearing on it. He has to earn a living, and shouldn’t be punished professionally unless he was proven guilty. He was young at the time, and regardless of what happened, I’m sure he has learnt a lot and matured. His ego has probably taken a hell of a beating too, which is probably no bad thing.

Sometimes an offender is more accepted when they come out of prison because they’re seen as having been rehabilitated or made amends. Being innocent, but with an element of doubt hanging over your head can lead to a much more ambiguous and damaging future.

Personally, I’d take him. He’s proven at this level.

How many more people are going to say he was 'found innocent' without reading anything other posters have said regarding the fact our court system doesn't work that way?

Tatabanya has probably articulated how I feel on the matter most accurately, so I won't bother adding to to the debate on his off the field credentials.

On the field, he's obviously still a good goal scorer (at this level), but I'm really not a fan of 6 months loan deals. If we're going to bring him in I would like it to be a season loan at least.

I seem to remember him scoring at the Kassam in his "comeback".
Yes he did at the open end and I seem to recall that in getting in for the goal he was blatantly pulling back our defender by his shirt but this went unoticed and/or unpunished by the referee.

Yes he did at the open end and I seem to recall that in getting in for the goal he was blatantly pulling back our defender by his shirt but this went unoticed and/or unpunished by the referee.
That was his goal at that end for Fleetwood last season. His comeback game was for Chesterfield three years ago, when he drilled in a free kick from 25+ yards that went under the wall. He’s scored both times he’s played here down at that end.

Whether it is Evans or not that we’re speaking to, and it would seem more and more likely that it is, it’s a weird situation to be looking to do a loan deal for half a season. You’re basically saying that you’d rather have this player for half a season than have anybody else for a whole one, or even on a permanent deal, and that means that either they’re going to be an expensive flop or you’re going to lose your main goal threat halfway through the campaign, having paid a fortune for them. If the player is going to cost such a lot of money that you can only afford half a season, surely there are options out there who can be obtained for at least the full 10 odd months? It’s an extremely peculiar move in principle, regardless of who the individual may or may not be.

Unless the plan is to just get them in, hope they start firing so you can convince your board to keep them come January, while the player himself has hopefully adjusted by then and so is more open to finishing off the season. There may even be a scenario where we have to get a player or two out of the club so that their wages can be used to facilitate an extension. Problem being, if he’s bagged 10+ goals by January, chances are someone else is going to come swooping in from a higher level.

It’s a strange tactic to be openly pursuing, whether it ends up being Evans or not.

That was his goal at that end for Fleetwood last season. His comeback game was for Chesterfield three years ago, when he drilled in a free kick from 25+ yards that went under the wall. He’s scored both times he’s played here down at that end.

Whether it is Evans or not that we’re speaking to, and it would seem more and more likely that it is, it’s a weird situation to be looking to do a loan deal for half a season. You’re basically saying that you’d rather have this player for half a season than have anybody else for a whole one, or even on a permanent deal, and that means that either they’re going to be an expensive flop or you’re going to lose your main goal threat halfway through the campaign, having paid a fortune for them. If the player is going to cost such a lot of money that you can only afford half a season, surely there are options out there who can be obtained for at least the full 10 odd months? It’s an extremely peculiar move in principle, regardless of who the individual may or may not be.

Unless the plan is to just get them in, hope they start firing so you can convince your board to keep them come January, while the player himself has hopefully adjusted by then and so is more open to finishing off the season. There may even be a scenario where we have to get a player or two out of the club so that their wages can be used to facilitate an extension. Problem being, if he’s bagged 10+ goals by January, chances are someone else is going to come swooping in from a higher level.

It’s a strange tactic to be openly pursuing, whether it ends up being Evans or not.
Totally agree with all of this.

Leaving aside concerns about Evan's character, history, age and attitude (!) I too can see no good coming of a six month loan for this bloke, if true. It would an amazingly short sighted and probably expensive tactic that smacks of desperation. To be relying on someone in such an important position in the team who (in a lose-lose situation) will only be here after January if he ISN'T doing well is plain daft. I hope there's no truth in it.
The same goes for the Cadden 'signing for a MLS club but we can have him for a bit' lark. No thanks.
I'd rather have less experienced players who will commit for a season (or more) and be enthusiastic about joining (cf Sykes, Whyte etc) than those who seem to use us as a convenience (in both senses of the word probably).

It may be that he only wants to commit to 6 months now. And this may also be what KR was alluding too when he says things like "Do we do a deal for someone now that means when other options are available later in the window we wont have the room/budget left then" Its clear KR would prefer him for the full season but maybe hes prepared to take the risk on this 6 month deal. Do we think we can get someone else as good? would the rpessure for signing a striker ease off if we do this deal?

Leaving aside concerns about Evan's character, history, age and attitude (!) I too can see no good coming of a six month loan for this bloke, if true. It would an amazingly short sighted and probably expensive tactic that smacks of desperation. To be relying on someone in such an important position in the team who (in a lose-lose situation) will only be here after January if he ISN'T doing well is plain daft.
I'm not sure how ot can be lose-lose. You could almost argue it is win win.
So if he doesn't work out we send him back.
If he scores say 10 goals and we are in the top 7/8, he would presumably be enjoying his football and there would be a chance of extending the loan (he scored 17 last season and clubs dont appear to be queuing up for him)?
I agree that the better option is to get somebody in permanently. Maybe we will get a younger striker in as well?

I would welcome the signing. He will score goals. As far as I am concerned, he has been found not guilty, so that's good enough for me.
Put it this way, I'd rather have Ched Evans than Nile Ranger.

I'm not sure how ot can be lose-lose. You could almost argue it is win win.
So if he doesn't work out we send him back.
If he scores say 10 goals and we are in the top 7/8, he would presumably be enjoying his football and there would be a chance of extending the loan (he scored 17 last season and clubs dont appear to be queuing up for him)?
I agree that the better option is to get somebody in permanently. Maybe we will get a younger striker in as well?
I say lose-lose because if he hits the ground running he will either go back to his parent club or they will flog him to someone else in January (when demand for any striker who is scoring is huge). If he doesn't then doubtless we can have him for the whole season! And if we are relying on him to be the goal-scorer then (in either situation) we are up the creek without a paddle for the last five months of the season. Of course, there is a reason that clubs aren't clamouring to sign him (and personally I'd rather we didn't either, but that's not relevant to this discussion really).
IMO it's bad enough that we get so much player 'churn' every summer, I'm not sure we should be starting the season with the distinct possibility that one or two of the senior players will have to be replaced in January. I'd rather develop a younger player (either one of our own, a signing or even a season long loan) - they already have Mackie as an older player role model to help them. We do of course need more than one anyway.

Back
Top Bottom