Charlton away, best away days and football specials

Mellowyellow

This, all things being equal, would normally be a game where we would take a big following. At the moment who knows. If a new manager comes in, alongside a couple of signings, could we get up to the 1500 mark?

Always a good away day, seems to have a history of quite a few midweek meetings. One of the best surely has to be the 3-3, around 1983/4 midweek. We had a huge away following, a busy evening but we still managed to fit in a game of Frisbee, from what I remember;).

There was that lad with ginger hair, who used to support Oxford then changed his allegiance shall we say. He took a bit of a battering that day, rather foolishly shouting the odds on the train all the way from Oxford. I'll never forget he was standing outside Oxford station the time there was a football special train to Wolves, offering everyone out.
Now football specials, there's another topic all on its own

• React
Reactions: dog
We always take a few to Charlton, the rat was always Charlton but tried to grass a few Oxford if my memory serves me right!

Football specials, cattle trains really, no one cared as long as we got there, always trashed by the time we got back, served them right, treat people like animals!!!!

Last year's match there was one of the best away days I've been to, great atmosphere

Remember last years!
Eales stood behind me and i asked if we was going to sign Mags and Conor, what a difference a year makes eh?

Charlton away last season was the best atmosphere of the season. Pure noise echoing around the stadium for 90 minutes, barely 20 seconds went by without singing! Always a great away day in London on the train!

I still remember beating them in the League Cup there under Atkins. Well, it was a 0-0 draw and we went through on pens. But still - they were Premiership at the time, and we were League Two, and it was a cracking jump-up-and-down-hugging-random-strangers type of finish so fond memories. The beginning of the Jefferson Louis Era as well.

Anyways, it's likely to be my only in-person game of the season so I'm looking forward to it greatly, even if expectations aren't that high.

As I'm London based, this is one of two matches I'm getting to this season (Chelsea U-7's being the other unfortunate occasion).

Seeing as this one actually matters, and hearing the positives above, I'm looking forward to it greatly!

Charlton away last season was the best atmosphere of the season. Pure noise echoing around the stadium for 90 minutes, barely 20 seconds went by without singing! Always a great away day in London on the train!

Better than scum?

Better than scum?
Miles better. Scum was brilliant for all the obvious reasons, but its a big open stand with everyone spread out, so the atmosphere isn't so consistent there.
For me, Charlton was definitely the best for non-stop singing all the way through.

Remember a cracking day out at the Valley (when it was still 3 sided) think we had about 3000 in a 2500 seater stand.... might have been a promotion game? 1985 or so....... I`m getting old! lol

I still remember beating them in the League Cup there under Atkins. Well, it was a 0-0 draw and we went through on pens. But still - they were Premiership at the time, and we were League Two, and it was a cracking jump-up-and-down-hugging-random-strangers type of finish so fond memories. The beginning of the Jefferson Louis Era as well.

Anyways, it's likely to be my only in-person game of the season so I'm looking forward to it greatly, even if expectations aren't that high.

I remember that game. Walking over the railway bridge after the game, it was amusing watching the Oxford fans taking the pee on one platform celebrating whilst on the opposite platform the Charlton fans, in the main, were studiously trying to ignore them.

Remember a cracking day out at the Valley (when it was still 3 sided) think we had about 3000 in a 2500 seater stand.... might have been a promotion game? 1985 or so....... I`m getting old! lol
3-3 draw? Was there for that as well. Think we needed to win for the title, but only drew meaning it went to the last game of the season.

Sure Briggsy scored in that Game, smuggled a bottle of fizz into that game for celebrating winning the league.....didnt win it that night but drank it anyway ?

As I'm London based, this is one of two matches I'm getting to this season (Chelsea U-7's being the other unfortunate occasion).

Seeing as this one actually matters, and hearing the positives above, I'm looking forward to it greatly!

Same here and I make most games work permitting. Not being funny but you only watch the U's if they are in London?

Got arrested against Charlton Boxing day 1980,Ian Greaves first game in charge,Charlton came round the back of the London rd after the game.
Went to the return match midweek,we took about 200, was in a Pub before the game with a mate just the 2 of us,a bloke came up and said "i recognise you"
I thought,"oh f**k here we go" he had about 10 mates with him.
"Yeh i was in the cell next door to you,wanna beer ?"

Could have been the match where we tried balancing on the back of seats- and kept falling off en-masse?!

The 3-0 at Wycombe with Massey hanging off the crossbar was a good day out.
Personally, I enjoyed the Barnsley JPT final too, certainly more than the playoffs (too nervous) and Coventry (awful atmosphere).
Sheff Utd away with the last-minute Nicky Banger winner was fun as well.

The 3-0 at Wycombe with Massey hanging off the crossbar was a good day out.
Personally, I enjoyed the Barnsley JPT final too, certainly more than the playoffs (too nervous) and Coventry (awful atmosphere).
Sheff Utd away with the last-minute Nicky Banger winner was fun as well.

Wycombe was funny when Matty Elliott had odds of 25-1 to score first with the onsite bookie. He was bricking it with the away fans chanting "Matty Elliott, he's 25 to 1" before the game. I suspect the bookie would have been in trouble if ME had scored first, but iirc he got sent off instead.

The Sheffield United one, was that a free kick by the tanned one? I remember a midweek one where Nicky Banger scored the winning goal with a free kick and Paul Gerrard pulled off one of the best saves I have ever seen live. Also, amusing was drinking in the Cricketers next to the ground as it was like going back in time 20 years+. Really confused them as one of our group was from Thirsk. The Barmaid also left a 2 inch head on each pint and that wasn't just for us as she didn't discriminate as the locals got the same treatment. :D

Back
Top Bottom